Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5820 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 49 of 139
13 February 2010 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
zorglub wrote:
I've been told a few times that when trying to speak french in some Flemish speaking ares, some people were rude unless you make it clear you 're french or at least not Belgian. Sad social tensions.

What I've heard is, if you order a meal in French you can expect the waiter and/or cook will spit in your salad.
2 persons have voted this message useful

elvisrules
Tetraglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5255 days ago

286 posts - 390 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Dutch, Flemish
Studies: Lowland Scots, Japanese, German

Message 50 of 139
13 February 2010 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
Sennin wrote:
zorglub wrote:
I've been told a few times that when trying to speak french in some Flemish speaking ares, some people were rude unless you make it clear you 're french or at least not Belgian. Sad social tensions.

What I've heard is, if you order a meal in French you can expect the waiter and/or cook will spit in your salad.

What? It's true there are some language community problems here in Belgium, but they are no way near that bad, and the French and Flemish speaking Belgians are just as bad as each other when it comes to each other's language in my opinion. (I should know, I live in the most volatile area: the border between French and Flemish Belgium) Of course, they both like to play the victim and call each other facsists.

Edited by elvisrules on 13 February 2010 at 12:13pm

1 person has voted this message useful

elvisrules
Tetraglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5255 days ago

286 posts - 390 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Dutch, Flemish
Studies: Lowland Scots, Japanese, German

Message 51 of 139
13 February 2010 at 12:12pm | IP Logged 
FuroraCeltica wrote:
I always start a conversation in Brussels with the words
"Parlez-vous français of spreekt u Nederlands?". My logic is it is bi-lingual, therefore nice to give people the choice. I have had a few people give me a very harsh "français" remark in response to that question. No big deal, as I speak both, but sometimes it can be a bit sad.

My sister is learning French, and came to visit me the other day, and we went to
Brugges. She asked a guy at the museum for "quatre s'il vous plait" and got rather
annoyed when he just stared blankly at her. I explained her French was perfect, his
frosty reception was more due to the tense language situation here.

Well, Brussels is bilingual, Brugge is not. Speaking Flemish in Liège would give you a similar response.
Most Flemings speak French, but to assume so and speak to one without even asking if they do, can be irritating at the least.
I rarely speak Flemish in Brussels because it's too much effort to find a speaker.

rlf1810
Triglot
United States
Joined 6126 days ago

122 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Slovak

Message 52 of 139
17 February 2010 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
In the time since I started this thread, a lot has changed. I'm back in the US and my Slovak is infinitely better than it was then. After coming home, I spent a lot of time reflecting on my experiences in that beautiful country. I've come to realize, as others have mentioned here, that every nation on this planet is home to countless people who would be more than willing to mock, ridicule, or otherwise hinder your progress in any endeavor that you pursue.

It just comes down to the simple question, 'Why am I doing this?'. Is it really to elicit a positive reaction from others? If so, then it's insincere and manipulative.

People are afraid of what they don't understand. The Slovaks I met could not understand why I would bother to come to their country and learn their language. They couldn't understand the effort it took to do so. They couldn't understand why I would make such elementary mistakes.

We, the students of a foreign language, have set out on a journey to connect with people that, without our efforts, we would never be able to understand. That is why we do what we do.

-Robert

Edited by rlf1810 on 17 February 2010 at 9:02pm

11 persons have voted this message useful

Oleg
Triglot
Groupie
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5615 days ago

57 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, Polish, English
Studies: Spanish, French, Italian

Message 53 of 139
18 February 2010 at 8:14am | IP Logged 
rlf1810 wrote:
that every nation on this planet is home to countless people who would be more than willing to mock, ridicule, or otherwise hinder your progress in any endeavor that you pursue.

Brilliant. Does it always take you so long to realize the obvious? I can help you get further: every nation is full of bastards, and at the same time every nation is full of nice and kind people as well.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachjunge
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6951 days ago

368 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 54 of 139
18 February 2010 at 9:00am | IP Logged 
Oleg wrote:
rlf1810 wrote:
that every nation on this planet is home to countless people who would be more than willing to mock, ridicule, or otherwise hinder your progress in any endeavor that you pursue.

Brilliant. Does it always take you so long to realize the obvious? I can help you get further: every nation is full of bastards, and at the same time every nation is full of nice and kind people as well.

Give the guy a break. He gained some perspective and was trying to close the thread gracefully. Let him do so. All of us post things sometimes that we later feel differently about, hm?
12 persons have voted this message useful

GauchoBoaCepa
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 5205 days ago

172 posts - 199 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish

Message 55 of 139
19 February 2010 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
Well, well, well....after reading all the previous replies I definetely realized that don't have to get annoyed if any foreigner who comes to Brazil just insists on speaking Portuguese as part of their learning...before that I stubbornly did speak to every tourists in English or Spanish as didn't care about their language demands and needs here...thanks for posting this thread,Rlf1810....

Edited by GauchoBoaCepa on 19 February 2010 at 4:07pm

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6058 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 56 of 139
21 February 2010 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
It seems the responses you will get from locals if you speak their language, or try to speak it, will be as varied as the human personality itself.

This discussion contains 139 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version