Language Learning Forum : Cultural Experiences in Foreign Languages Post Reply
139 messages over 18 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 ... 17 18 Next >>
nescafe
Japan
Joined 5195 days ago

137 posts - 227 votes 

Message 57 of 139
22 February 2010 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
When I was on my backpacker travel in China, I talked with many Chinese in Mandarin. My Mandarin was teribly bad, so everytime I said something in Mandarin people laughed. But it was not unpleasant. They did not ridicule me, but just got their eyes round, started laughing and turned to be very kind to me. "Hey, A Japanese seems to know some bad Mandarin is being in a trouble in China, what is wrong?"

Only one time, when I had a conversation with a univ student on a train, He laughed at every my words and repeated it as :

me "Zhengzhou..."
he "haHAha, Gen-chau, Gen-chau ...".
me "Jiefang army (I did not know how to pronounce 军(jun) in 人民解放军)"
he "Jiefang Army, Hahahahahaha, Jefang Army ... Wuhahahaha"
me "Is my Mandarin Funny? 我说的中文很可笑的吗?"·
he "...a bit"

This time was depressing! But it was the only exprerience I was discouraged in China.

Edited by nescafe on 22 February 2010 at 4:29am

1 person has voted this message useful

Zelaia
Tetraglot
El Salvador
Joined 6595 days ago

29 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, FrenchC1, English, Portuguese
Studies: Kurdish

Message 58 of 139
25 February 2010 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
That happened to me when I was asking some directions in English, this happened in Miami, the man said:

''Is this the closer that you can get to English ?''

And I said '' If I have an accent is because I speak some languages that YOU DON'T.

He blushed and left without saying anything.
8 persons have voted this message useful

NichtGut
Groupie
United States
the-daily-treasure.bRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6118 days ago

65 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 59 of 139
25 February 2010 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
I know I will catch some crap for this one :)

I agree with what a lot of people are saying on here, however, I feel that the situation is some what different for Americans (and no I am not playing the poor poor American card) I know my friends in Germany can speak with one another everyday in English if they wanted to, however, I have no one to speak German with face to face on a daily basis. When I traveled in Europe with my German buddy we spoke to Dutch, French, Italian, people in English. I live in California so I could speak Spanish with someone almost everyday, German no. I have experienced some situations when a customer comes into my store and I can speak a little German with them and they look at me almost disgusted because my German is not up to par. Do not get me wrong my German should be flawless with all the resources available, but hell do you think that a non language learner would know that there are an abundance of quality German learning material available? Let’s not kid ourselves here an act like everyone is learning Indonesian and we can speak with one another on a daily basis in Indonesian like English. So what I am trying to say it is not the worst thing to want some sort of credit for trying to learn someone elses language. I don't need a pat on the back or a hug but please don't blast me for trying.

We here on how-to-learn-any-language are somewhat of a tight community and I believe
we all have a certain degree of respect for one another because we all cherish language, but outside of our language learning world a great number of people don’t give a darn about language.

Go ahead and blast me if you think I am wrong, I will not truly take offensive to it. Like I said I personally have a lot of respect for everyone on these boards so let me know if you think I am just flat out wrong, stupid, or both :)

Edited by NichtGut on 25 February 2010 at 4:35am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Ester
Groupie
Joined 5453 days ago

64 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: Modern Hebrew

Message 60 of 139
25 February 2010 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
I guess I have experienced both sides of the coin here.

I would be lying if I said that I was never irritated by somebody insisting on speaking with me the language they obviously could not speak well enough for the conversation to "flow" effortlessly for the both sides (which is, I assume, your typical definition of basic fluency). Therefore, I can perfectly understand people who just want to "get the business done" - people you meet on everyday jobs (shops, etc.) who are not thrilled at all with the idea of barely getting to the point with your customer because they feel like practicing the language. Being a foreign language tutor is not my job's description - we just want to get the business done with the minimum effort and maximum productivity. I don't own a language school, and I'm pretty sure that if I owned one, I would tolerate your broken language and help you with it for money, out of an interest, not because I really feel like doing it and adore doing it. I don't think I owe you anything, and your language skills are not the purpose of our communication - therefore, please, let's focus on getting the job done the most convenient way, which is certainly through the medium of a language we both understand and which will serve us as the most effective bridge, rather than playing around.
So, not only that I understand why would somebody not be in awe of your skills and grateful to you that you speak their language, I also understand why can your insisting on a less productive communication be, indeed, seen as a nuisance and a bothering, rather than something positive, especially on a busy day. If you don't speak the language well enough for an effective communication, I would prefer, in the context of my work, to just get things done and - if you excuse my honesty - not to waste any extra time I might have on you.

On the other hand, the context of my private life is something totally different. I choose people I want in my private life, I'm relaxed as I'm not working and I don't mind AT ALL communicating with learners. So if you stop me on a random street and ask for directions or anything, I'll help you more than gladly; in fact, if I have extra time, I will talk to you more. Same goes for people I have met because they were learning some language I know, I love talking to them and helping them. But it's my private life we're talking about now, and we language enthusiasts tend to be similar in that aspect.

I'm the same when I travel. If I really don't think I know the language well enough to get my point across, honestly, I just don't sweat it and don't bother anyone on their work with it. I choose to practice it with people who want to help, and stick to the effective means of communication with the rest.

I don't expect any extra respect than a regular respect I need to get as any other person. If I get it, great; if no, let's just move on, I'm still learning, and things will be better in the future.
Of course, I don't mock anyone nor would expect being mocked, but I supposed mockery just automatically goes into the category of "rudeness" for me, people who do it are usually more inclined to be rude in general with people, and like a lot of people said in this thread, there are such people in every society. But I do keep the right, and give the same right to other people, to politely switch the language if I just don't feel like wasting half an hour on a communication that was meant to last ten minutes. I don't consider people have an *obligation* to indulge your fits, and for many, desiring to speak a language you don't know well IS indeed seen as a kind of crazy fit. A "fit" I can personally understand, but it doesn't mean I think it's suitable for every time, place and circumstance.

Now I guess I might get flamed for this response, but that's how I feel. Been on both sides.
4 persons have voted this message useful

NichtGut
Groupie
United States
the-daily-treasure.bRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6118 days ago

65 posts - 74 votes 

Message 61 of 139
25 February 2010 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Great points Ester, I agree with you on many levels, I think you are right on about not wasting time, especially when the conversation could be finished in ten mins but we drag in out in 30 due to language reasons. I always let the stronger language carry the conversation and not try to force my awful Spanish/German whatever take over. When I am at work the only time I will switch to German with a customer is to tell them something small or say "hey I'll give you a nice discount!" because I dont want others to understand hehe but I will not slow down the customer by throwing horrible German at him through the whole transaction.

There is another post going on in the General section as well that refers to what native speakers think of others studying their language, it is pretty interesting, everyone should check it out if they havent yet.

roy2005
Diglot
Groupie
Hong Kong
Joined 6336 days ago

70 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, German

Message 62 of 139
25 February 2010 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
Zelaia wrote:
That happened to me when I was asking some directions in English, this
happened in Miami, the man said:

''Is this the closer that you can get to English ?''

And I said '' If I have an accent is because I speak some languages that YOU DON'T.

He blushed and left without saying anything.

Good one.

Muz9
Diglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5310 days ago

84 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Somali

Message 63 of 139
25 February 2010 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
www.engrish.com

Entire website devoted to making fun of poor English.

stout
Ireland
Joined 5157 days ago

108 posts - 140 votes 

Message 64 of 139
12 March 2010 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
The French have a strange attitude when come to foreigners speaking their language.
They critise foreigners when they make no attempt to speak French and quite rightly so.I dislike it when English,Irish or Americans speaks English towards French people
and make no attempt to speak to French to them.

However it annoys me in my experience,yes I do have some knowledge of French,is that
when I do try to speak French,many French people have the annoying habit of switching
English to you.Many French people are not always tolerant and forgiving to foreigners who are not fluent in their language.It's the case of "damned if you do,damned if
you don't".

However I think that the French-speaking Swiss(La Suisse Romands) are more tolerant of non-French speaking foreigners who are not 100% fluent in the French language.They are in general more polite about it and are not rude to you,as they are in France.
The Suisse Romand accent is slower than in France which is somewhat easier for foreigners to understand.The Suisse Romande accent has a Germanic twang to it.

Edited by stout on 12 March 2010 at 7:17pm

This discussion contains 139 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version