cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5598 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 65 of 139
12 March 2010 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
Here we go again with these nonsense accusations.

The world is not a language lab and normal people have busy lives and may not have patience for those who cannot express themselves clearly!

If you are a native English speaker, when did you last stop and take time to speak with a native Spanish speaker or Urdu/Bengali etc speaker who can hardly make themselves understood...? What if those people started accuse you of being "ungrateful" or hostile?

That's how you appear when you recite some Pimsleur phrases and is thrown back and tongue-tied because you did not get the Pimsleur-response back...

I repeat the advice that has been given many times before in similar threads:

Nobody will complain or switch language as long as you are able to hold up an decent conversation and express yourself clearly. If you can't, then why blame the locals? Blame yourself if you are looking for a scapegoat, and study some more until you try again!

I have come across students of my native tongue who can only say simple "Pimsleur type" sentences.. If it's a simple tourist exchange of words, I switch to English or something else that's more convenient. If they try to engage in conversation (happened a few times) I decline or switch language, it's just too boring...! That's what tutors are for, and they get paid for listening to someone taking a minute to complete a few basic sentences!

But if the learner/foreigner can express themselves fine and simply have a foreign accent, then I am more than happy to speak with them in my language and very pleased to see that they went to the trouble of learning my language well.
3 persons have voted this message useful

kyssäkaali
Diglot
United States
Joined 5313 days ago

203 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish

Message 66 of 139
13 March 2010 at 12:32am | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
Here we go again with these nonsense accusations.

The world is not a language lab and normal people have busy lives and may not have patience for those who cannot express themselves clearly!

If you are a native English speaker, when did you last stop and take time to speak with a native Spanish speaker or Urdu/Bengali etc speaker who can hardly make themselves understood...? What if those people started accuse you of being "ungrateful" or hostile?

That's how you appear when you recite some Pimsleur phrases and is thrown back and tongue-tied because you did not get the Pimsleur-response back...

I repeat the advice that has been given many times before in similar threads:

Nobody will complain or switch language as long as you are able to hold up an decent conversation and express yourself clearly. If you can't, then why blame the locals? Blame yourself if you are looking for a scapegoat, and study some more until you try again!

I have come across students of my native tongue who can only say simple "Pimsleur type" sentences.. If it's a simple tourist exchange of words, I switch to English or something else that's more convenient. If they try to engage in conversation (happened a few times) I decline or switch language, it's just too boring...! That's what tutors are for, and they get paid for listening to someone taking a minute to complete a few basic sentences!

But if the learner/foreigner can express themselves fine and simply have a foreign accent, then I am more than happy to speak with them in my language and very pleased to see that they went to the trouble of learning my language well.

I hear you, but I'm not buying it. If someone addresses you in one language, you either respond back in the same language or you don't respond back at all. I have had people respond back to me in English and always take it as an insult. To me, it comes off as either a rude "You speak horribe insert-language-here" OR someone on their high horse boasting "Hahaha! Look at me, I speak English fluently!"

EDIT: Oh, but let me add, if it is imperative that you respond back, such as during a business transaction or a tourist asking for directions, why don't you ask them (not in English) if they would like to use English instead? This is a much better alternative than violently jumping from the desired language to the undesired.

Edited by kyssäkaali on 13 March 2010 at 12:34am

4 persons have voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5598 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 67 of 139
13 March 2010 at 12:49am | IP Logged 
Quote:
I have had people respond back to me in English and always take it as an insult. To me, it comes off as either a rude "You speak horribe insert-language-here"

I think you are being too sensitive.
Nobody is trying to insult you; they are just practical or perhaps trying to be helpful.

What you are describing regularly happens to me when I speak French or Spanish. Travel there for work a fair bit. I don't get offended or annoyed at all, I just feel a bit concerned about the bad standard of my French...

Language is a means of communication. Most people prefer to use the easiest means of conversation, the lowest common denominator language-wise.

To me it's incomprehensible that anybody can have an issue with that.

And besides there is an straightforward solution to your "problem": Study more and try to tone down your English accent (probably happens less if you do not stand out as a native English speaker).

spanishlearner
Groupie
France
Joined 5214 days ago

51 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 68 of 139
13 March 2010 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
I can either be generous and have some patience with someone who has spent countless hours attempting to learn my language and gently correct them in a helpful way, or I can discourage them by spurning their efforts and switching to another language, effectively sending the message that their gesture of becoming acquainted why my culture and world means little to me.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6199 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 69 of 139
13 March 2010 at 1:27am | IP Logged 
It's amazing what problems can arise from reading far too much into far too little.

People rarely intend to be rude when they switch languages during a conversation. There are a number of reasons, from pragmatic to simply doing it on auto-pilot, to actively trying to be helpful.

kyssäkaali
Diglot
United States
Joined 5313 days ago

203 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish

Message 70 of 139
13 March 2010 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
And besides there is an straightforward solution to your "problem": Study more and try to tone down your English accent (probably happens less if you do not stand out as a native English speaker).

I actually don't have an English accent at all in my second language (and that's coming from multiple native speakers commenting on my accent) and it really pisses me off that you would assume that without even knowing me or anything about me. Oh but I'm American and I guess we all must be too stupid to learn a foreign language the proper way, huh?
2 persons have voted this message useful

kmart
Australia
Joined 5884 days ago

194 posts - 400 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 71 of 139
13 March 2010 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
kyssäkaali wrote:
cordelia0507 wrote:

I actually don't have an English accent at all in my second language

I don't understand - if you don't have an English accent in your target language, then how do the native speakers know to switch to English, and not say, German?

kyssäkaali wrote:
and it really pisses me off that you would assume that without even knowing me or anything about me. Oh but I'm American and I guess we all must be too stupid to learn a foreign language the proper way, huh?

I agree with Cordelia, you're a tad touchy, mate. Chill out a bit, most people aren't actually out there trying to offend Americans. Most people really like Americans, except when they get all huffy over other people's genuine attempts to be helpful (or have tantrums at countries that decline to go to war with them...)
;-)

kmart
Australia
Joined 5884 days ago

194 posts - 400 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 72 of 139
13 March 2010 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
stout wrote:
Many French people are not always tolerant and forgiving to foreigners who are not fluent in their language.

I visited Paris for a week, my only language skills my 30 years unused High School French (which was not even brushed up on, for reasons I won't bore with). I expected that I would get the cold shoulder if I tried to use the language past "bonjour" and "merci" but I had an amazingly positive experience.
Yes, people switched to English almost as soon as I opened my mouth, and boy was I grateful, I was so embarrassed by my atrocious pronunciation. But on the few occasions when they appeared not to know English I received unfailing patience and politeness (maybe they were just having a laugh at my expense, and welcome to it they were, if so). I mean this was BAD pronunciation and APPALLING grammar, I probably sounded like a 3 year-old with a serious speech impediment, but people persisted with me, and worked out what I needed.
I will return, lovely French people, and I will do a better job with your language next time, I promise!

This discussion contains 139 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version