New Zealand
Joined 6075 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 9 of 11
21 December 2008 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
Dear Professor Arguelles,

I would like to once again thank you for your extremely informative and inpsirational posts over the years. Although I am a relatively new member, I have enjoyed reading through all of your posts and watching your videos and hope you will continue to offer advice to the many aspiring polyglots on this board.

In particular, I wish to thank you for helping me (and evidently many others) to realise that learning many languages is by no means an insurmountable task; to the contrary, it can be acheived with the right attitude and solid, constant effort and is one of the most rewarding and constructive projects one can undertake. In addition, your contributions have also helped me greatly in sorting out an effective strategy for taking on entire families of languages, both in terms of which languages to learn in what order and the various methods and ways one can acheive this. I am especially glad to have discovered this forum only a year ago at the age of 18, and I feel I now have both the confidence and the knowledge to seriously learn several dozen of the world's languages, something that even two years ago was utterly inconceivable to me.

Yours sincerely,

Christopher Button
1 person has voted this message useful

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7015 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 10 of 11
23 December 2008 at 9:14am | IP Logged 
Thank you all so much. I am truly touched. I really appreciate your taking the time and effort to humanize this all too impersonal form of interaction. I do find it very gratifying to know that I am giving others the benefit of my experience, and knowing who you are makes it so much easier to feel that I am helping actual people rather than just sending off electronic posts into the void.

Merry Christmas to you all, and happy language studying for 2009!

Alexander Arguelles

john234
United States
Joined 6136 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 11
25 December 2008 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
Professor Arguelles,

Thank you for introducing me via this forum to the Assimil series and the shadowing and scriptorium techniques. I have used these resources successfully in my studies of German and French, and I now view self-study as a pleasurable activity rather than a burden. I have shadowed French with Ease for thirty to forty-five minutes a day nearly every day since September, and I look forward to continuing with Using French. I also plan to build a foundation for the study of the Slavic family by starting Russian later this year. Learning three languages seemed to be an unobtainable goal before I found this website, and your biography in particular, roughly two years ago.

I believe that there are many people who, like me, never post in these threads but have benefited from your contributions here and on YouTube, and I thank you on our behalf.

Best wishes to you and your family for a prosperous 2009.

Sincerely,
John E.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version