Ireland
Joined 5966 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 17 of 39
19 December 2008 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
[ES] Sí. Es "Exterminado".

[IT] L'indicazione del nome dell'autore è anche una famosa strada di Budapest. [Questo è corretto?]

Edited by DaraghM on 19 December 2008 at 5:50am

1 person has voted this message useful

FrancescoP
Octoglot
Italy
Joined 5765 days ago

169 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, French, English, German, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian, Norwegian
Studies: Georgian, Japanese, Croatian, Greek

Message 18 of 39
19 December 2008 at 7:43am | IP Logged 
Italiano assolutamente perfetto, complimenti!

As for the Hungarian quiz, I suspect that by saying Petőfi Sándor I'd have 99 chances on 100 to get it right...hummm... That's the asnwer to a lot of Hungarian questions after all... ;)

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5966 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 19 of 39
19 December 2008 at 9:02am | IP Logged 
FrancescoP wrote:
Petőfi Sándor

[IT] Sì. Che sia corretto. E 'anche lezione 31 in ungherese Assimil.

FrancescoP
Octoglot
Italy
Joined 5765 days ago

169 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, French, English, German, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian, Norwegian

Message 20 of 39
19 December 2008 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
This will be either difficult or easy according to habitual tastes in TV shows. Who scored a memorable quote by addressing two badly beaten-up people with a glorious

"Hey, chumps, I heard you were on the ass-end of an ass-kicking"?

(Excuse the French, it's really a funny line...)

Satoshi
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 5638 days ago

215 posts - 224 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 21 of 39
19 December 2008 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
Is it Futurama? I am not sure...

Alright, my turn:

"As armas e os barões assinalados
Que da Ocidental praia Lusitana,
Por mares nunca dantes navegados
Passaram ainda além da Taprobana,
Em perigos e guerras esforçados
Mais do que prometia a força humana
E entre gente remota edificaram
Novo Reino, que tanto sublimaram"

Very, very famous portuguese quote (both to the american and the european lusophones).

FrancescoP
Octoglot
Italy
Joined 5765 days ago

169 posts - 258 votes 

Message 22 of 39
20 December 2008 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
That's the Portuguese national epic "Os Lusíadas", by Luís Vaz de Camões. I have a two-volume Italian edition with bilingual text that I've been wanting to read for ages, but sadly I never had the time to run through it to serious extents. Now this remembers me, perhaps this would be the right Xmas... Thank you for bringing this up.

And yes, the previous line was from a Futurama episode, I see it as the quintessence of Bender's sublime eloquence (best scripted character in ages, if you ask me)

Satoshi
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 5638 days ago

215 posts - 224 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 23 of 39
20 December 2008 at 2:39am | IP Logged 
FrancescoP, if you want to read it, believe me, you are way beyond most portuguese-speakers there are.

I have never met anyone who'd even want to read it. Obviously that is not a very serious flaw, since the text is extremely complex and archaic. I myself didn't finish it (but I plan to) because I was too busy doing school stuff.

--

Well, if you let me be a little diplomatic, I once read a bilingual edition of Dante's Divine Comedy (portuguese-italian), and it was great!
The only thing that makes me sad is the lots of historical and regional knowledge you must have to read them (both Os Lusíadas and Divina Comédia). Thank goodness there were footnotes every two pages or so (also on both books).

---

Another one, if I may, and a easy one:

"Of Mans First Disobedience, and the Fruit
Of that Forbidden Tree, whose mortal taste
Brought Death into the World, and all our woe,
With loss of Eden [...]"

Edited by Satoshi on 20 December 2008 at 2:44am

FrancescoP
Octoglot
Italy
Joined 5765 days ago

169 posts - 258 votes 

Message 24 of 39
20 December 2008 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
Sorry for chipping in all the time today, but I'm home alone with a flu and I don't have much work to do around Xmas :)

I'll leave the last one to somebody else, I don't want to stifle the game with my annoying overposting. I'll just say that the title of the poem is the same as the monicker of a (once) great English gothic metal band...

As for Dante, rest assured: no native can read it without footnotes. I have read it over countless times and it's still challenging as hell, especially the Paradise cantica (pun not intended). Our school editions usually have 4/5 verses per page and the rest is footnotes, and it's hardly enough. Some of the most obscure allusions are still undecyphered... I you even wish to re-read some of it, pick up an Italian edition for schools: it's very rewarding to see a whole world crawl back to life between the lines. I hope my Lusiadas have a good commentary... As for the thing itself, it's enough to say a thing like "archaic Portuguese" to me to turn me on... That's how perverse I am!

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version