France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5789 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 113 of 177
17 June 2009 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
Is the book you're looking for written by Dawson, Bidwell and Humesky?
1 person has voted this message useful

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5946 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 114 of 177
17 June 2009 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
ExtraLean wrote:
Is the book you're looking for written by Dawson, Bidwell and Humesky?

Yes. That's the one. It seems to be available on various sites, but I'm not sure it's actual availability. I've contacted the publishers Georgetown University Press and they said they were no longer reprinting it. I'm very wary about purchasing it over the internet. What I find odd is that Google Books have a huge amount of the publication online, so it must've been transferred recently enough.

[EDIT - I've just sent another email to Georgetown University Press to find out more details]

Edited by DaraghM on 17 June 2009 at 5:39pm

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5789 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 115 of 177
17 June 2009 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
Mmm I had a quick look on amazon and there were at least three available, so I am confident that you'll find one eventually.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5946 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 116 of 177
18 June 2009 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
Georgetown University Press emailed back and said the book is available for purchase at their website. Unfortunately, I don't have a valid credit card, but I'll try and figure something out. I wonder why the international distributors said it was no longer available?

Edited by DaraghM on 18 June 2009 at 1:41pm

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5946 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 117 of 177
18 June 2009 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
Spanish

I got the results of my Spanish exam, and I'm very pleased. I was really worried I might've failed it, but I scored "sobresaliente" according to the Cervantes system. This means I scored between 90% and 100%. :-) I'm extremely surprised I did that good, as I didn't think the reading or listening tests went well at all.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6473 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 118 of 177
18 June 2009 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
And never forget the power of ebay!
Just wanted to mention it.

Did you quit Assimil by the way?

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5946 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 119 of 177
18 June 2009 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
Hungarian

Yes, I've put Hungarian Assimil on hold, but wouldn't say I've quit it. I've found the FSI course more effective at the early stages. The Hungarian Assimil covers a lot of ground very quickly but I felt I needed a lot more coverage and examples of each of the grammar points via audio. I'll return to once I've mastered the basics. On a separate note, I watched the start of the Hungarian film Kontroll and was pleased how much I understood. Not a huge amount, but enough to get a rough idea what was going on.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5946 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 120 of 177
19 June 2009 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
French

Bonjour mes amis.

As I've paused Spanish, I decided to return to my other Romantic language for the summer. Where I was doing the Spanish Assimil in the morning, I've now gone back to the French. I decided to revise the lessons from the very start, instead of leaping in where I left off.

In addition to Assimil, I also downloaded an updated version of the French FSI Basic course at http://fsi-language-courses.org/. The original audio was very poor, but DemiPuppet uploaded better quality audio to this mirror site. While the audio is better, it can be still hard to pick out the pronunciation of some words, such as "en retard" and "J'y ne manquerai pas". Of all the languages I've attempted, I find French pronunciation the hardest to render, in particular the French 'r'.

I'm not sure how I'll use the FSI course. The French Basic course has a huge amount of audio compared to the Spanish course. Each tape is between 25 and 30 minutes long, and there's between 6 and 11 tapes per unit. The Spanish course has about two, with a maximum of three. I normally play each tape about three to four times, but this would takeforever with this course. The amount of grammar per unit is quite small. I might throw some other resources into the mix during my study.

This discussion contains 177 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version