Ireland
Joined 5931 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 81 of 177
10 March 2009 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
Summary 09/03/09 - 15/03/09

While I'm still managing a reasonable amount of study each day, I've noticed it's tapered off a bit since the start of the year, This is partially due to Spanish classes, and the infamous essays, but more to do with things that happen in the course of one's life. Looking back, I realise that 2008 had no big surprises or events.

I found the format of the log last week very useful for collating all my information in one post, and I'll do the same this week.

Spanish

The week started with Spanish class, and more discussions about literature, films and theatre. The class seems to blend hugely different levels of Spanish. We might start with a simple practice conversation about plans for the night, before getting into a discussion about literary devices such as ellipsis, zeugma and tropes, and the influences of arabic on the Spanish language. As there are three language teachers in my group, this might explain why we veer off into this area, and I'm certainly not complaining.

The homework we got this week was from the Aula 3 book, and covered more exercises about film, books and theatre. In other study, I finished off Platiquemos 18, and started into unit 19.

Spanish Weekly Total

Active Study: 245 minutes
Passive Study: 155 minutes

Edited by DaraghM on 16 March 2009 at 10:53am

1 person has voted this message useful

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5931 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 82 of 177
16 March 2009 at 11:12am | IP Logged 

Hungarian

This week was a better week for my Hungarian, and I returned to Assimil albeit briefly. In my opinion, the Assimil course crams in too much grammar and vocabulary, and not enough examples. In contrast, the FSI course is extremely heavy on examples, with little new grammar in each unit.

I've started reviewing all the Assimil units from the start, especially the footnotes. I'm not listening to the units, as I've over compensated for this previously. I also finished lecke 41, which took me ages. It was a strange lesson, describing a dream, which made it hard to follow in any logical way. One of my criticisms of the Assimil method is their tendency to use bizarre situations, which means your trying to figure out both the language and what's occuring. The main point behind the lesson was the use of 'volna' to describe the unreal past.

Hungarian Weekly Total

Active Study: 90 minutes
Passive Study: 370 minutes

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5931 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 83 of 177
16 March 2009 at 11:40am | IP Logged 

Russian

Of all my languages in the week, it was Russian that lost out. Apart from the evening of the 10th, all my Russian study was conducted while munching müesli, and drinking tea at breakfast. I'm currently working through Урок 9, and it's another unit that crams in a lot of grammar. It covers the two verbs of motion, Идти (to go by foot) and Ехать (to go by vehicle), as well as adjectives in the accusative case.

Russian Weekly Total

Active Study: 110 minutes
Passive Study: 75 minutes

SII
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5572 days ago

184 posts - 194 votes 
Speaks: Russian*
Studies: English

Message 84 of 177
16 March 2009 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
It covers the two verbs of motion, Идти (to go by foot) and Ехать (to go by vehicle), as well as adjectives in the accusative case

The verb "идти" use not only as "to go by foot". It may means the "common" moving to somewhere. About a train we (Russians) usually speak "поезд идёт", although sometime we speak "поезд едет". Russian seamen also use "идти" in relation to ship's navigation; indeed, a seaman may be offended when somebody say that his ship "плывёт" ("плавать") instead of "идёт" ("идти"), although "landmen" often say just "плывёт".

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5662 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 85 of 177
16 March 2009 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM

I couldn't follow Hungarian Assimil without a grammar book. Besides, Hungarian grammar is so interesting, from my point of view, that learning it is enough to keep my motivation high.

SII

Thanks for your details about Russian usage.

In the same line, if you don't mind, I have a question. The verb "идти" is called unidirectional while "ходить" would be the corresponding multidirectional verb. Are they really employed in that way?

Edited by Flarioca on 16 March 2009 at 3:21pm

SII
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5572 days ago

184 posts - 194 votes 
Speaks: Russian*
Studies: English

Message 86 of 177
16 March 2009 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
Flarioca wrote:

SIIIn the same line, if you don't mind, I have a question. The verb "идти" is called unidirectional while "ходить" would be the corresponding multidirectional verb. Are they really employed in that way?

We use the verb "идти" in cases when somebody or something moves to somewhere. For example, "Я иду домой" means what I will stay in my home after I have gone. The verb "ходить" is used when somebody/something moves to somewhere and then continues moving to somewhere else. For example, "Я схожу домой" usually means what I go home and then I return to original point (where I sayd "Я схожу домой").

Using of "идти" is wider comparsion with "ходить". "Ходить" don't uses for unidirectional movements. For example, when we say "Этот автобус ходит в Москву", this means that the bus is regular. But when we say "Этот автобус идёт в Москву", this means that the bus either regular or it go to Moscow one-time only; without context it's impossible to understand the exact meaning of such sentences.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5931 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 87 of 177
25 March 2009 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
Summary 16/03/09 - 22/03/09

It's been extremely hard finding time to update my log. My original plan was to edit my posts daily for a weekly summary, but that didn't happen. I may have to change the log to either fortnightly or monthly. I can't believe it's over a week since I last visited the forum. I've tons of catching up to do, including my favourite logs.

Russian

I normally post my Spanish first, but I'll start with Russian. I'm still working my way through Урок 9, but should be hopefully finished it soon. I still haven't done enough Russian outside the breakfast hours, but I did spend an hour on St.Patricks Day (March 17th).

Apart from the previously mentioned, the lesson also covers the possessives in the accusative case E.g. чью, твою , нашу and вашу. Now that I've just written them all out, I've realised the large table in the book is redundant. Everything else matches the nominative. The lesson also mentions the use of the particle же to emphasise a point. They use ".. on earth" in the lesson to explain it. E.g.

Где же это? - Where on earth is it ?

SSI, are there many other uses for же ? Thanks SSI for those explanations on the verbs of motion. I don't think any Russian book I've read, has mentioned using Идти for train or ship transport.

Russian Weekly Total

Active Study: 1 hour 52 minutes
Passive Study: 1 hour

Edited by DaraghM on 25 March 2009 at 10:59am

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5931 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 88 of 177
25 March 2009 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
Summary 16/03/09 - 22/03/09

Hungarian

Though I didn't plan on it, Assimil has crept back onto my study radar. During the week I reviewed lessons 17 to 27, and redid the exercises at the end of each. I also completed lecke 43, but hadn't started 44. I've also used the new google translate facility to help with the Assimil. While the actual translation engine isn't great, it is very useful as a Hungarian dictionary and expression search.

I think I've discovered something about my learning style, in that I'm very much an audio based learner. While I could learn the endings and how to conjugate verbs, I'd have to think about it a bit beforehand. With the FSI drills it seems to come automatically as I hear the word in my head, and then I just spell it. During this week, I completed the second tape of unit 4 after a LOT of iterations, and moved onto the last one.

Hungarian Weekly Total

Active Study: 2.5 hours
Passive Study: 6 hours

This discussion contains 177 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version