Joined 5938 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 89 of 177
25 March 2009 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
Summary 16/03/09 - 22/03/09

Spanish

Spanish has been the dominant language in my studies, with the Spanish class and it's homework contributing most to my study. As it was a bank holiday in Ireland last week, the attendance at Spanish class was very poor. A lot of people had either gone away, or were out celebrating the night before St.Patricks. We didn't cover much new ground, but we did get our essays corrected. I have to say I was more than pleased with the results. I scored 9/10 on the first, and 9.5/10 on the second. :-)

A number of the mistakes I made, were not really mistakes but my appalling handwriting. A couple of 'las' I'd written looked like 'los', and these were corrected. He also changed my, "Ando hojeando las cadenas" to "Ando cambiando las cadenas". The rest of the mistakes were a lack of the personal 'a' and forgetting the definite article in one instance. I'd love to get time to post my second essay, which was a critique on the film Blade Runner, and it's various philosophical themes. However, it's over 350 words, so I can't see that happening.

The rest of my Spanish study was a blend of the B2 Gramática, Platiquemos, some Penguin short stories and my Benjamin and Butt grammar book. With all my Spanish homework, I've hardly got into the Gramática, but still managed to complete the second unit. In Platiquemos, I finshed unit 19, before barely glancing into unit 20.

Spanish Weekly Total

Active Study: 6.5 hours
Passive Study: 3 hours
1 person has voted this message useful

SII
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5579 days ago

184 posts - 194 votes 
Speaks: Russian*
Studies: English

Message 90 of 177
25 March 2009 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM
Quote:
SSI, are there many other uses for же ?

No. "Же" uses often, but only for emphasising the specified part of sentence.

Quote:
I don't think any Russian book I've read, has mentioned using Идти for train or ship transport.

"Идти" for train or ship isn't rarity in Russian books for Russians, but in books adopted for foreigners "идти" often replaces on "ехать" or "плыть". And, as I wrote, Russian "landman" may use "плыть" in relation to ship, but seaman don't use "плыть", he uses "идти". I.e. using of words depends of who they uses.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5938 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 91 of 177
02 April 2009 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
Summary 23/03/09 - 31/03/09

The time I've available for updating my log, and viewing the forum, has shrunk significantly. As mentioned before, I had hoped to edit the summary posts daily, but this hasn't happened. The following is a summary from the last week till the end of March. Unless I get more time, I might have to move my log to monthly summaries.

Russian

I completed Урок 9, and started into another long lesson, Урок 10. This lesson covers the dative case, adjectives in the dative case, as well as some other constructions. I have to admit the case endings in Russian are getting slightly confusing, with the У and Ю I associate with the female accusative, now also used for the male dative case.

The lesson also covers the use of Можна, as it related the the perfective and imperfective verbs, to express the concepts of it is possible or it is permitted. However, the perfective and imperfective verbs haven't been covered yet, so I did a quick memory flick back to the MT Russian course to embed the concept.

Russian Summary Total

Active Study: 2.5 hours
Passive Study: 1 hour 45 minutes

Russian TAC 2009 Q1 Total

Active Study: 28.5 hours
Passive Study: 24.5 hour

Russian Total: 53 hours

Edited by DaraghM on 02 April 2009 at 11:16am

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5938 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 92 of 177
02 April 2009 at 11:14am | IP Logged 

Hungarian

My Hungarian study during the week was a mixed bag of the Assimil course and the FSI Basic Hungarian course. With the Assimil course, I reviewed the lessons 27 to 30, and I completed lecke 44. As I keep a detailed spreadsheet of my time, I've realised that the Assimil Hungarian course is not an efficient way for me to learn Hungarian. I can spend a couple of hours on an Assimil lesson, and still forget the vocabulary a few lessons down the road. I had lifted the pause button on the course, but now I'm pressing it again.

By contrast, I feel I'm making a lot of progress with the FSI course. I have to admit that the level of grammar is way below the Assimil course, but what is learnt sticks. The lesson are grouped more logically. For example, the FSI course will list the seasons spring (tavasz), summer (nyár), autumn (ősz) , and winter (tél) in the same lesson, but Assimil will scatter them throughout the course. Similarly, the words for knife (kés), fork (villa) and spoon (kanál) are grouped in FSI but not in Assimil. I imagine it'll be easier in a Hungarian restaurant (étterem) to remember the FSI course, rather than the scattered Assimil lessons.

Hungarian Summary Total

Active Study: 3 hours 15 minutes
Passive Study: 4 hours 15 minutes

Hungarian TAC 2009 Q1 Total

Active Study: 19.5 hours
Passive Study: 48.5 hours

Hungarian Total: 68 hours

Edited by DaraghM on 02 April 2009 at 11:16am

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5938 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 93 of 177
02 April 2009 at 11:51am | IP Logged 

Spanish

My Spanish study over the week was a very mixed bag of courses. It's been a while since I used the Spanish Assimil course, but I returned to the course and completed lesson 97. I don't know if it could be classed as format boredom, but I'm having a hard time with the Assimil courses this year, and the small mistakes in translation are magnifying into greater annoyances.

The other resources I used during the week included the Gramática, the Aula course book and Platiquemos. With Platiquemos, I completed unit 20, before starting the monstrously huge unit 21. Unit 21 covers a number of Spanish irregular verbs in the pretérito, which all follow the same pattern. E.g. tuve, anduve, puse, pude, etc. I'm not sure why I stuck with the unit for so long, as I know this material backwards.

The most interesting part of the week was the Spanish class. The class covered the subjunctive tense, and a number of specific cases, as well as common mistakes English speakers make. E.g the tendency to use the future tense after cuando, when it should be the subjunctive.

Spanish Summary Total

Active Study: 5 hours 10 minutes
Passive Study: 7 hours 20 minutes

Spanish TAC 2009 Q1 Total

Active Study: 66 hours
Passive Study: 47.5 hours

Spanish Total: 113 hours

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5938 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 94 of 177
03 April 2009 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
Russian

As I was working my way through Урок 10 I became slightly puzzled. What is the difference between the words for post office почта and почтамт ? The lesson seems to use them interchangably, but implies that почтамт maybe a bigger почта.

Edited by DaraghM on 03 April 2009 at 10:15am

SII
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5579 days ago

184 posts - 194 votes 
Speaks: Russian*
Studies: English

Message 95 of 177
03 April 2009 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM
Quote:
What is the difference between the words for post office почта and почтамт?

Now the word "почтамт" uses only in the word combination "главный почтамт" (shorter "главпочтамт"; = the main post office of a city). Other post offices are "почта". In addition, the word "почта" has meaning "mail". For example, Я иду на почту = I go to the post office; Я иду посмотреть почту = I go to check presence of mail in my mailbox.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5938 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 96 of 177
03 April 2009 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
SSI. большое спасибо

This discussion contains 177 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version