Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5911 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 177 of 177
23 December 2009 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
I think this is my final post for TAC 2009. As mentioned previously, my study plans until the end of the year consist entirely of Bulgarian. This language is growing in fascination. It seems Bulgarian has replaced the verbal infinitive with the subjunctive tense. These expressions are normally proceeded by да.

E.g. искам да уча - I want to study. (Lit. I want that I study)

These tenses are introduced in the first units of the Basic FSI course, but not explicitly mentioned. I guessed it was probably a subjunctive tense, and Google confirmed it.

As I've been drilling the audio, I discovered another peculiarity with the pronunciation. Bulgarian occasionally sounds the preposition В as Vaf and the preposition С as Ses. The expression в Ню Йорк (in New York) sounds like "vaf New York". Apologies as I'm unable to type IPA symbols.

As I progress through the second unit, the FSI Bulgarian course seems slightly different to the other FSI Basic courses. There doesn't seem to be any drills so far, but a lot of examples and listening in exercises. The conversations aren't repeated at different speeds like the other courses. I can't see myself getting beyond the second unit by year end, so I'll start Russian or Spanish in the new year.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all !!!

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 177 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version