Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5933 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 17 of 177
15 January 2009 at 11:14am | IP Logged 
EP: Me parace que el más tecleo en español, el más facíl se pone. Sin embargo, tengo una tendencia a usar las mismas expresiones. Debería hacer algo sobre esto.

EN: It seems that the more I type in Spanish, the easier it gets. However, I have a tendency to use the same expressions. I should do something about this.

1 person has voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6460 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 18 of 177
15 January 2009 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
Why don't you use lang-8?

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5933 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 19 of 177
16 January 2009 at 3:44am | IP Logged 
tricoteuse wrote:
Why don't you use lang-8?

I'd love to, but it's blocked by the proxy server here in work, along with a lot of other stuff, like YouTube, IRC, blogs, etc. Grrr. I still haven't moved my PC into my new apartment. I'd love to read some of your lang-8 posts in your log.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5933 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 20 of 177
16 January 2009 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
15/01/09

Russian (Active ~45 minutes, Passive ~75 minutes)

RU: Русские множественном. Русскиемножественном. Почему? Почему?
Почему?
EN: Russian plurals. Russian plurals. Why? Why? Why?

Just when I thought I was mastering some of the basics, I got tripped up during an exercise on some of the irregular plurals. For the plural of room, номер, I wrote,
номеры, while the answer is номера. What annoyed me the most was that I really should've known it, as the plural didn't sound right.

Listening to the vocabulary in isolation, as a wordlist, seems to be working. I listened to a new dialogue, using the vocabulary, and I understood most of it. I was under the false assumption, I was somehow learning 50 new words a day using this technique, however I've realised I already knew a number of the words. The later lessons have made this very clear.

Hungarian (Active ~0 minutes, Passive ~40 minutes)

I spent my lunch break listening to leckek (lessons) 38 and 39. I didn't bring my sheet for 39, so I used it as a listening exercise. Lecke 39 introduces the Hungarian demonstrative pronouns (this, that, these, those) which are different for every case, and agree with the case of the noun they're describing.

Ebben az utcában - In this(Ebben) street
ezekre a regí dolgokra - onto these(ezekre) old things.

It also introduces contructions of the form,

e között a két fa között - between these two trees.
Az alatt a hid alatt - Under that bridge.

When I get a chance, I'll try and learn more about this from the grammar book.

Spanish (Active ~45 minutes, Passive ~0 minutes)

I've decided to challenge myself to completing "Teach Yourself Spanish" next week. I'd just started unit 20, leaving five lessons to go before the end. I'll start the challenge on Monday. The hard part will be not letting affect my Russian or Hungarian study. Compared to the Gramática, which I did last night, the grammr lessons in this course should be a lot easier.

[EDIT - Corrected some Russian mistakes]

Edited by DaraghM on 16 January 2009 at 6:16am

SII
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5574 days ago

184 posts - 194 votes 
Speaks: Russian*
Studies: English

Message 21 of 177
16 January 2009 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
14/01/09

RU: Я сделал еще один словарный список по пять урок(ов?). Я слушал также словарь урок три и четыре урок.
EN: I made another vocabulary list for lesson five. I also listened to the vocabulary on lessons three and four.

Excuse me for my very bad English and let me correct you :)

I made another vocabulary list for lesson five. (i.e. list for lesson # 5, if I not mistake)

Я сделал ещё один словарный список для урока пять
OR
Я сделал ещё один словарный список к уроку пять

I also listened to the vocabulary on lessons three and four.

Я слушал также словарь к урокам три и четыре.
Я слушал также словарь для уроков три и четыре.
Я слушал также словарь от уроков три и четыре.
Я слушал также словарь уроков три и четыре.

But, IMHO, slightly better say:

Я также слушал...

Quote:
RU: Российская множественном. Российская множественном. Почему? Почему?
Почему?

This is mistake, but I don't say correct without context, For example, "Russian plurals" may translated to "Русские множественные", but I think what this sentence means "Русское множественное число".

And in addition... Word "российский" is not equal "русский". "Русский" is related to Russian language or nation, and "российский" is related to Russian government, republic, army etc. -- all what is may be multinational in Russia (in Russia lived not only Russians, but about 130 nations).

Edited by SII on 16 January 2009 at 4:26am

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5933 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 22 of 177
16 January 2009 at 5:50am | IP Logged 
Thanks SII. I knew the Russian must be wrong, but didn't know the correct version. I've corrected that post now. By the way, your English is good.

I'm trying to convey the sense of frustration , and suprise, that I was having learning the plurals. How should I've said this ? I also changed российский to pусские. I wasn't aware of this difference.

Thanks again.

Edited by DaraghM on 16 January 2009 at 6:17am

SII
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5574 days ago

184 posts - 194 votes 
Speaks: Russian*
Studies: English

Message 23 of 177
16 January 2009 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:

I'm trying to convey the sense of frustration , and suprise, that I was having learning the plurals. How should I've said this ?

I have understood (or "I understood"? I often confuse Past Indefinite and Present Perfect...). In this case you mean "plural number of Russian nouns" and you should say: "Русское множественное число", or more simple: "Русское множественное" (word "число" in this context be implied).

Quote:
I also changed российский to pусские. I wasn't aware of this difference

Grammatically "российский" is singular and "русские" is plural, don't mix it, please :)

About Russian plurals I want say what often parallel forms of plural masculine nouns is exist, for example:

"cruisers" -- "крЕйсеры" (stress on "Е") and "крейсерА" (stress on "А")
"drivers" (computer programs, not bus or car drivers) -- "дрАйверы" or "драйверА"
but only "номерА" (form "номеры" is not exists)

In speech usually use form "крейсера", "драйвера" etc, but in writing use both forms ("крейсера" and "крейсеры").

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5933 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 24 of 177
19 January 2009 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
Weekend Summary 16/01/09 - 18/01/09

Didn't get much done this weekend. I decided to visit the folks, after reading the incredibly sad post in Spankys log, as I realised that certain things shouldn't be neglected in my language quest. I got distracted during my weekend shopping, and ended up buying a few more language related products. I don't know how I ended up in the language section of various bookshops. Honest.

Russian (Active ~45 minutes, Passive ~2.25 hours)

Thanks SII for you help.

Aside from a couple more vocabulary lists, I started reading my recently purchased
Modern Russian Gramar: A practical guide. I like the layout of this Russian grammar book, as it's very easy to locate specific grammar facts. However, it has one annoying quirk. Instead of highlighting in bold or underlining, a particular ending, they change it to Russian italics, and in this book it's cursive italics. E.g.

брат becomes браm [I can't post cursive here, so I've done a close rendering)

Spanish (Active ~1.5 hours, Passive ~0 hours)

I've just a few units left on the ANAYA B1 Gramática, so I purchased the next book Gramática B2: Nivel Avanzado. This book is almost twice the size of the previous B1, which itself was double the size of the A1\A2. Apart from that I also bought the Spanish newspaper El País. I had a quick read of some articles, and then decided to create a vocabulary list based on the articles. Most of the vocabulary could be guessed from context. E.g. la Franja - the Strip (Gaza), sitiado - besieged, recesión, debajar - to reduce, los tipos de - the rate of, la huelga - the strike(labour), and manifestantes - protestors . With other vocabulary I resorted to the dictionary to be sure. E.g. trucos-gimmicks and idear - to plan out.

I've decided to go ahead with my "Teach yourself Spanish" challenge this week. I'll see how far I get by the end of the week, and decide whether it was realistic or not.

Edited by DaraghM on 19 January 2009 at 5:22am

This discussion contains 177 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version