Pentaglot
Brazil
Joined 6791 days ago

181 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Spanish, English, French, Italian
Studies: German

Message 9 of 18
07 January 2009 at 10:14am | IP Logged 
I have used this method with the book "Le Petit Prince" last year, and now I'm using it with "L'Étranger". I know it's a little tiresome at times, but it's very good to stick sentences and constructions in your brain, and to help recognizing words that you're unable to understand or even pronounce.

Writing texts is a very rich exercise, and what I see is that most people prefer to concentrate on passive skills (reading/listening) and speaking. For me practicing the writing skill is important when you're going to take exams in other languages (writing essays, etc), and I'm going for the DELF/DALF exam soon.

For instance, last week I found out that even though I knew the meaning of the English word "embedded", I was unsure on how to pronounce it. I've already solved that, but the overall lesson is: Don't neglect focusing on the active skills of a language.

1 person has voted this message useful

Lindley
Bilingual Triglot
Ukraine
Joined 5849 days ago

104 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, Ukrainian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 10 of 18
07 January 2009 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
Thanks to all of you for good advices, they've been really helpful for me :) I guess I'm going to use Assimil for scriptorium - I want to go through it, but since I don't know French or Italian, anything but raw text and audio is of no use to me. I've one more question, though - should you write the sentence you've just read from the memory, or by looking at the text? Oh, and do you go over one sentence just once, and then move on to the next one? I mean, no repetitions? Thanks :)

mick33
United States
Joined 5702 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 11 of 18
07 January 2009 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
Lindley wrote:
I've one more question, though - should you write the sentence you've just read from the memory, or by looking at the text? Oh, and do you go over one sentence just once, and then move on to the next one? I mean, no repetitions? Thanks :)
I write the sentence by looking at the text I have just read, and yes I go over each sentence just once with no repetitions. Sometimes I will read the written text aloud two or three days later as a review. I've never written scriptorium sentences from memory, but that may be a good idea.

Edited by mick33 on 07 January 2009 at 2:36pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Lindley
Bilingual Triglot
Ukraine
Joined 5849 days ago

104 posts - 109 votes 

Message 12 of 18
07 January 2009 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Mick! I'll try this method tomorrow - we'll see how it goes :) By the way, I don't want to start another topic for such a small question, so can anyone clarify the following for me? In shadowing, you listen to the target language audio, and try to speak along with it at the same time, right? Do you read the text which is being played to you in the language you know? I mean, you look at the text, and quickly translate it into target language so that you match the recorded audio, right? Sorry for lots of questions, I'm just trying to figure all of this out. Thanks for help!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6375 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 13 of 18
07 January 2009 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
Lindley wrote:
Do you read the text which is being played to you in the language you know? I mean, you look at the text, and quickly translate it into target language so that you match the recorded audio, right?
This sounds more like Listening-Reading. I recommend watching the Prof's video for shadowing to get a clearer idea. I don't think anyone reads the text in the native language while shadowing - the target one might be of use though. I've always done quite OK with pronouncing along with the speaker the parts I can guess or have memorized through repetition, and building up on them, eventually memorizing more or less the entire passage (not when a 15-minute long podcast was in question though - there were still entire sentences I hadn't memorized, but I guess if I had gone on pushing it I'd know it as well as the short Assimil lessons)

Lindley
Bilingual Triglot
Ukraine
Joined 5849 days ago

104 posts - 109 votes 

Message 14 of 18
08 January 2009 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
Serpent
Now I´m confused (no big news here). In one of Prof. Arguelles' posts (and forgive me for not remembering where exactly, I guess I've read too many of them :) ) he says, that first he does the "blind-shadowing", i.e. repeats without any help from the text or own memory. The next stage supposedly is listening to target language, and repeating with the aid of native language text. The third stage is repeating with the aid of target text (this way you learn how to read, i.e. associate sound with printed word). And then back to blind-shadowing again, but this time understanding the text completely. And in his video, actually, he uses a book later on. Am I hopeless? :) Thanks!

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6687 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 18
08 January 2009 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
OK, that's probably how it was explained in the thread, and from what I can see it all attributes to the shadowing method.

There is no writing involved in the shadowing method, although you could probably use the audio for extra support during the scriptorium practice. As an example, I've listened to (and shadowed) the audio from my Chinese textbooks a lot before trying the scriptorium method (How would I else know how to pronounce the words?)

When I do scriptorium, I do it like Arguelles showed in the youtube-clip, i.e. read the sentence aloud, copy and read aloud word-for-word, and finally read aloud again. Next sentence.
3 persons have voted this message useful

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6643 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 16 of 18
08 January 2009 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
I use a version of scriptorum where I listen to a dialogue, pausing every 5-10 second bursts when I write down what I thought I heard. I then compare this to the actual text and see where I misheard things

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version