Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6232 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Thai, Polish

Message 1 of 28
09 January 2009 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
Hello to everyone. Please don't consider me too optimistic; everything I now write is based on my personal experience.

I'm sure you all have heard of L-R. I have tried not the same, but a little different method, the difference being in this: I firstly read in target language, carefully comparing the sentences with Serbian text, and it was only after this step (which is by far the most important) that I listened to the audio.

1 person has voted this message useful

MarcoDiAngelo
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6232 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 

Message 2 of 28
09 January 2009 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
For Rusian I did 2-3 chapters a day, and I had began with easy texts: plays and The Little Prince. After that I moved to the Master and Margarita. It took me a few weeks to obtain 'passive listening' skill.

MarcoDiAngelo
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6232 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 

Message 3 of 28
09 January 2009 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
For Polish I used The Little Prince, The Master and Margarita (first fifteen chapters), and The Idiot (first ten chapters) by Dostoyevsky. It took me 3 weeks of 2 hours a day to be able to listen the rest of audiobook without the help of the written text.

MarcoDiAngelo
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6232 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 

Message 4 of 28
09 January 2009 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
THE RESULTS: I was able to understand almost everything writen on internet forums, I watched movies without subtitles, I spoke to some Poles I met and understood everything they said, I listened to Assimil audio for both languages and it was so easy to understand!

MarcoDiAngelo
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6232 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 

Message 5 of 28
09 January 2009 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
BUT: I realized that understanding and speaking were two different things. One of Siomotteikiru's steps was TRANSLATING from native to target language. Then I discovered ASSIMIL. It was made parallel and all that's left for you to do is to try to translate sentences and learn on your mistakes! One can also benefit from shadowing the lessons in order to have good pronunciation.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6255 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 6 of 28
09 January 2009 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
Why write one post when you can write four?
6 persons have voted this message useful

FSI
United States
Joined 6144 days ago

550 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 7 of 28
09 January 2009 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
^Haha.

Seriously though, LR is pretty much how I roll these days. Lots of different ways to do it, as long as you combine listening and reading and your scaffold and target languages.

However, I'm starting the Michel Thomas Japanese course, to see if I can use it to understand some of what Tujiko Noriko's singing about. I'd use LR, but books with romanji are hard to find.

MarcoDiAngelo
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6232 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 

Message 8 of 28
09 January 2009 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
:-) I knew someone would comment on that. Well, you don't live in Serbia and I cannot possibly explain to you that in the 21st century I have no internet connection at the moment. I am writing on a (broken) phone.

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version