littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6464 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 25 of 32
16 January 2009 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
Starfallen wrote:

I don't know, I have to admit it does feel somewhat awkward to me when someone who is obviously a foreigner and speaking English as a second language tries to mimic an American accent so perfectly as to sound as if they are from Texas or somewhere. It catches me off guard a little, to the point it can sometimes feel slightly pretentious and mocking.

So people speaking English should not try to improve their accent?

When I hear someone speaking good Swedish with a native like accent (something I have only seen once on Youtube) I am amazed and impressed and want to applaud them. Thinking that they are pretentious or something of that kind wouldn't even cross my mind. I would think most Swedes think the same way.

I can somewhat see your accent point, but for some people (like Scandinavians) I think going all in for a radically different pronunciation can be easier than just going halfways and speaking neutral English, as we then just assimilate the English letters and words to our own, which are often similar.
My boyfriend for example speaks with a very American accent and speaks well, whereas I have no English or American accent but probably just sound weird.
1 person has voted this message useful

fcavalheiro
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 5882 days ago

54 posts - 54 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 26 of 32
16 January 2009 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
I actually think she didn't want to let you do the advanced test because many teachers and language schools want the students to be there the most time possible. I know an English teacher that was responsible for placement tests. His school had 10 different levels, and he said that if someone had an 8 or 9 level, for instance, the person would be placed in level 6 or 7.

Starfallen
Groupie
United States
Joined 5603 days ago

43 posts - 49 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 27 of 32
16 January 2009 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
tricoteuse wrote:

No, not it's not that they shouldn't. It's just slightly surprising to me when I hear someone who I could mistake for a native English speaker. It's going above and beyond. There are a lot of different accents in America alone, depending on the region, so it would catch me off guard if someone who had never been to Boston started speaking English to me with a Boston accent. (I'm not from Boston, but just to use an example).

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't mind people retaining some of their natural native accent when they speak English. In some cases, it's just part of who they are. I don't typically expect non native speakers to speak with a perfect American accent, and I don't look down on them if they don't.

Deji
Diglot
United States
Joined 5226 days ago

116 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Hindi, Bengali

Message 28 of 32
21 November 2010 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
tricoteuse wrote:
[QUOTE=Starfallen]
I don't know, I have to admit it does feel somewhat awkward to me when someone who is obviously a foreigner
and speaking English as a second language tries to mimic an American accent so perfectly as to sound as if they
are from Texas or somewhere. It catches me off guard a little, to the point it can sometimes feel slightly
pretentious and mocking.

No, no, I wouldn't say that--but one does have to realize that you do choose WHICH accent you will imitate in
your target language--and you may be walking into regional or social reactions that are not obvious to you .
Does it matter? I won't try to answer that.

I met a French man at an Alliance Francaise mixer in Paris who spoke PERFECT English--but every time he
opened his mouth I wanted to giggle. Why? Because he had an absolutely classic cockney accent. I think a slight
french accent would have been better. I wouldn't suggest that a foreigner learn English with a strong southern
accent...unless you KNOW that you are going to live and interact in the South. And I wouldn't learn French with a
Midi accent, either.

Of course, English people might feel that way about someone who speaks with a strong American accent. I have
also chatted with Indians on language sites (in India, mind you) online who, it seemed to me, were trying very
hard to copy an American accent. I felt that they might have sounded MUCH better just sticking to the
Indian/English style, which is more comfortable for them, rather than trying to copy our American hard "r" which
came out in a particularly grating way. This, however, does not apply so much to the younger urban generation
in India--who are more exposed to American movies, etc.

Deji
Diglot
United States
Joined 5226 days ago

116 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Hindi, Bengali

Message 29 of 32
21 November 2010 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Starfallen wrote:
Maximus wrote:
However, even outside of the class, they take these strange attitudes
towards me. I have bumped into them in the street, and the still treat me like a kid even if I fire some "advanced"
Japanese vocabulary it them.

I'm guessing they probably feel uncomfortable around you for whatever reason. Some teachers are like that, they
are just there to do a job and they don't care to socialize or be your friend outside of class. Also if you are too
forward, they might feel intimidated by that. I would just let it go, if it were me. Finish up the class, and you can
always continue to study more advanced Japanese on your own with other people. I understand you're frustrated
because you have worked hard. I'm sure there are people out there who will appreciate your effort.

This is an interesting quesion, though. I have experienced it in French as well--to the point where I wanted to
say: (in french, but it had better be perfect!) "Chere Madame! From the bottom of my heart I beg of you--let ME
massacre the French language. But please--give me a good example! It is not necessary that you yourself
speak French like a Spanish cow!"

In fact, this attitude was mocked in the one of the French bande dessinee (comic books) "Les Bidouchon" books
(VERY funny series) in which a French tour group has a Russian french-speaking guide. They refuse to
understand her, though she speaks perfect French "Yes, I taught French for eight years in a bilingual school in
Paris" she says, to no avail. They designate one of their group to "translate" for her. He repeats what she says
exactly, so they can "understand" it. This goes on through the entire tour of the Kremlin.

Seems to me this attitude is a a kind of one-upsmanship. A reaction on the part of rather rigid small-minded
people who are looking down on foreigners with the attitude that "you don't know anything" --to the point
where what they think is "you are so ignorant that I don't even need to actually listen to you".

On the OTHER hand, I have heard that speaking Japanese, with FIVE different levels of social
distinctions/tenses/honorifics, is full of social traps and almost impossible for the foreigner to avoid putting their
foot in it socially. Is it possible that these mistakes are being made? Of course if you WERE making them
unknowingly, you wouldn't know it! This point I cannot judge. Even if this were the case, one would, of course,
also expect that a teacher would point this out in a kindly way.

I do defend the French who bristle at our American casual style. In France, by god, all interactions MUST be
preceded by "Bonjour, Madame/Monsieur/Mademoiselle/Mesdames "etc. You don't charge into a store and just
ask for bandaids. If you do, you have stepped on toes without knowing it. Then you will find the French very
unfriendly. My non-French-speaking sister-in-law did very well there by going in a store, saying "Bonjour
Monsieur/etc, I apologize, but I do not speak French. Is there someone here who speaks English?" This was
properly ceremonious and respectful and always got a good reaction.

Edited by Deji on 21 November 2010 at 8:37pm

Siberiano
Tetraglot
Russian Federation
one-giant-leap.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6279 days ago

465 posts - 696 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, ItalianC1, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Serbian

Message 30 of 32
21 November 2010 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
Alvinho wrote:
Well, getting right to the point, the teacher responsible for the test was a Spaniard....she started it out with a brief conversation....neverthless, she suddenly reached the conclusion I would fit in the intermediate level...anyway she handed me out a sheet of paper with questions only for intermediate students.....however, I asked her to give me one more with advanced grammar questions but she had declined my request.....so she started behaving roughly and said: "if you don't want to work on these questions, I don't really give a shit"...as though she told me to get out if I disliked her way of evaluating their probable customers....in other words, I had no choice and then decided to get through the test....

This kind of people may come one's way all the time, not only in languages. I want to avoid cliches, and share a deeper thought: notice that she dumped on you. Dumped some agression and bad emotions, made you feel worse and herself better of course. You weren't supposed to be an emotional toilet for her at all, it's not your job, nor a part of the test. So, the best way would be not to agree to this let-me-dump-on-you "deal", and stay confident and calm all the time, just saying "no, do it this way". I must admit, I'm not this cool every time, often I get engaged into anger exchange. What I know for sure is that if I comply, I'm not guaranteed to get _anythig_ that I came for. After they find out I'm soft and complying, they might go further and refuse to do anything.

Just an example: in some restaurants the waiters try to tell you not to make pictures, etc, then call the manager, and if they're an asshole and you try to comply, it may quickly lead to being told to get out (even if you can get them punished legally, in this case they are sure you won't even try).

So, a good rule to follow is to not comply and at least contest "why?" But what if she says "no test, go away"? Oh, well, she's not the boss there, is she? "Let me talk to the boss, what's your name? I'll write it down. Oh, you're the only bosses' employee here, great!" Even if she's the boss, would you like to deal with her "service" anymore? I don't think so. Just as in the case of the rude restaurant manager, if you let them dump on you, they might not give you what you need, especially if you're not paying. Getting angry and trying to dump on them more than them won't get you anything. So, another rule to follow is to maintain composure - knowing that if they freak out and you are cool, you're the one who's superior. (Wish I followed this all the time.)
3 persons have voted this message useful

noriyuki_nomura
Bilingual Octoglot
Switzerland
Joined 5126 days ago

304 posts - 465 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Japanese, FrenchC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, SpanishB2, DutchB1
Studies: TurkishA1, Korean

Message 31 of 32
22 November 2010 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
Ironically, I find that the examiners that I had encountered so far to be really friendly and encouraging towards exam candidates, with the exception of the DALF exam that I took (who seemed really bored and uninterested). I think, the Spanish/Italian examiners were one of the friendliest I have ever met, and that gave one a more relaxed feeling to really speak/chat with them, especially during the oral exam.

As for rude teachers, I attended an Italian class in Singapore before, and there was this new Italian teacher who just replaced our previous one, who unfortunately had to teach another class (since it was a rule that a class cannot have the same teacher for 2 semesters consecutively in a row). Goodness, the new teacher was constantly talking in her schriekingly sharp voice at us, at every possible accent that we pronounced wrongly, or every word that was used wrongly, and that really created an atmosphere of 'fear' and 'anxiety' among us. Language learning quickly became a chore rather than a path to a discovery of a foreign culture/history for us, especially when the class was comprised of working adults.

I still think that, one can learn much faster if he/she enjoys the language, rather than like a spoon forcefully fed upon him/her.    

Edited by noriyuki_nomura on 22 November 2010 at 10:45am

stout
Ireland
Joined 5157 days ago

108 posts - 140 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 32 of 32
28 November 2010 at 2:11am | IP Logged 
I deeply dislike the negative attitudes of foreign language teachers...After all you
are doing them a favour...You are learning their target language and you are paying
them good to learn their target language...Some languages teachers have no concept of
customer service.

In my many years of experience of learning French...I had good,bad and average French
language tutors...At the moment I have a French online tutor and she's a French-
speaking Belgian and she is good and I like her very much...Perhaps being Belgian she
doesn't carry the traditional French arrogance...So I will continue to stick with my
Belgian tutor for another while at least.

I think that having a good rapport with a language tutor is essental...Otherwise if you
do not have a good rapport with your language teacher...Then you are certainly wasting
your time and money.   

Edited by stout on 28 November 2010 at 2:13am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version