laoshu505000
United States
Joined 4357 days ago

121 posts - 231 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 9 of 25
18 January 2009 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Hello Jon,

Yes, I use do often use notebooks for practicing writing. I think if you're studying languages like Chinese, Japanese or any language that is script based, you should definitely practice writing. Now if it's Latin, that may be a bit different since it isn't really a script based language likewise Chinese or Japanese. Even so..at some point you're gonna want to take notes. For example, when you go to a chat room, you're gonna have a lot of times where you don't understand what the native is saying, especially if they can't speak English. I use my notes in that way. Just now I had to do that in a Georgian chat room. I met a Georgian speaker who couldn't speak a lick of English. What I had to do is write down a lot of the things she was saying in Georgian.She understands Russian , but can't speak so I would have to switch to Russian to say whatever it was I needed to say since I couldn't say it in Georgian. If I would make any mistakes in Georgian, those Georgian speakers would correct me then I would write them down in my pad. I found that taking notes is a very good thing to do because you can go back over the conversation you had with that native speaker and see what it was you misunderstood. That will help improve your level as well.

Another thing I do is when I read dialogues in whatever language I'm studying, I will write the whole dialogue down in my pad just for writing practice. It also helps you to kind of remember the vocabulary in that dialogue.For instance, you may have a conversation with a native in a chat room and they may use some vocabulary word you've come across in that dialogue. That happened to me a lot of times.

Some people may say it's a waste of time, but I don't concur. I see that you're learning Japanese so you should give that a shot with that language since you'll be running into a bunch of Kanji. I hope that helps.

Moses McCormick
1 person has voted this message useful

jondesousa
Tetraglot
United States
goo.gl/Zgg3nRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4805 days ago

227 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Mandarin, Spanish

Message 10 of 25
19 January 2009 at 7:08am | IP Logged 
Hello Moses,

Thank you again for your interesting post. It confirms my existing study method, so I feel a little better about that.

By the way, I recently stumbled across a very interesting website that I am pretty sure will interest you. The web address is: http://soyouwanttolearnalanguage.googlepages.com/languagee-b ooks. The website has lots of links to free material in both book and audio form for many languages. Few of them are more common, such as French, Italian, etc. but they also have many less well known languages such as "Wolof", Nankina, Guarani, etc. I hope it can help you on your path to other exotic languages.

Thanks again,

Jon

laoshu505000
United States
Joined 4357 days ago

121 posts - 231 votes 

Message 11 of 25
19 January 2009 at 10:14am | IP Logged 
Hey,

Thanks for posting that link. Actually, I was already familiar with that site. Someone brought it to my attention just recently. Thanks again.

Moses McCormick

laoshu505000
United States
Joined 4357 days ago

121 posts - 231 votes 

Message 12 of 25
25 January 2009 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
Hello everyone.

I realized that I forgot to mention one thing about learning vocabulary. Whenever you pick up new vocabulary, another good thing to do is to try and create your own sentences.If you're not sure how to construct a sentence with that vocabulary, just try and create a very basic one. I found that making your own sentences is also good for making vocabulary stick.

I guess I could say that Rosetta stone is another good resource for vocabulary. This program won't build fluency;however, it will definitely help you with vocabulary since it does a lot of repetition.

Has anyone found chat rooms and forums where they could practice the languages they're studying? If you guys can't find any places, I could post up some of the places I normally go to for practice.

Like professor was saying before, I think we should come here and show our progress from when we first started learning the language we've chosen. I would say..update your progress at the end of each month. I figured this would be something fun to do.

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 5144 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 25
25 January 2009 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
Hi Moses,

While I've never been a fan of chat rooms for language practice, I've always found enormous value in seeking out forums (and blogs, to some degree). Until recently, I've only used them passively to get a handle on authentic, colloquial language, but I'm gradually starting to use them actively.

They're easy to find. For Turkish, I google combinations of keywords like Türkçe, tartışma, açık forum, and so forth.

I for one would be interested in seeing some of your preferred chat rooms and forums.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 5216 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 14 of 25
25 January 2009 at 12:26pm | IP Logged 
Moses, thank you for explaining your techniques. I think we can avoid teachers using these techniques.

One question?

What do you mean by chat rooms? Same as forums or do you mean talking chat rooms.

Thank you.

Edited by slucido on 25 January 2009 at 12:28pm

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 5216 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 15 of 25
25 January 2009 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 

Sometimes I did something similar. I choose a few words and I start writing sentences quickly. It seems very useful to stick the vocabulary. The difference is that I did this with a grammar checker. The problem is grammar checkers aren't very good. Maybe it can work with short sentences.

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version