Diglot
Canada
Joined 5723 days ago

30 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 1 of 49
19 January 2009 at 10:14am | IP Logged 
I have recently been reading about Phenomenal Memory. It seems to me as if it is a scam.
If it is true, I would be amazed, and quite interested in the possible applications towards language learning.

the site - http://www.pmemory.com/

FOCUS: discuss the program, if it is a scam or not, and its possible applications if true.
1 person has voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6456 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 2 of 49
19 January 2009 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
Williy wrote:
I have recently been reading about Phenomenal Memory. It seems to me as if it is a scam.
If it is true, I would be amazed, and quite interested in the possible applications towards language learning.

the site - http://www.pmemory.com/

FOCUS: discuss the program, if it is a scam or not, and its possible applications if true.

I did the course two years ago. It gives you a few useful tricks. If you download the ebook you will have the techniques for free.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5792 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 3 of 49
19 January 2009 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
Memory techniques are a double-edged sword. These sort of things let you program little file-cards into your brain. They're quicker to use than a book, but slower than stuff you've properly learned.

But people who memorise stuff often lack the impetus to learn it later, as it all appears "quick enough" at the time. Or so I find.

TheBiscuit
Tetraglot
Mexico
Joined 5704 days ago

532 posts - 619 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Italian
Studies: German, Croatian

Message 4 of 49
19 January 2009 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
If you think that's a scam I can vouch for this guy's book, 'Accelerated Learning Techniques'. It gives you some excellent tools which you can apply to language learning or learning anything for that matter, including memory techniques. I use it as a continous reference - it's especially good for making you see the big picture and how to make a 'battleplan' to tackle what you have to learn. Good stuff!

http://www.briantracy.com/

Hashimi
Oman
Joined 6040 days ago

362 posts - 529 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*
Studies: English, Japanese

Message 5 of 49
19 January 2009 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 

Do you want to try it and be sure is it a scam or not?

Send me a private message.

Williy
Diglot
Canada
Joined 5723 days ago

30 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 6 of 49
20 January 2009 at 5:30am | IP Logged 
It just seems slightly far-fetched that someone could memorize an entire book at near-reading speed (instead of needing years and years), but the testimonials sound rather convincing. I think I'm going to explore this a little further - the price tag is $300, so I won't buy it just yet!

dleewo
Groupie
United States
Joined 5599 days ago

95 posts - 131 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 7 of 49
20 January 2009 at 7:34am | IP Logged 
I agree, it does sound far fetched. It's also hard to tell if the testimonials are from "real" people.

I would love to have the kind of memory they claim you can have, but the only way I would even consider investing $300 is if I personally knew someone that went through the program, or someone whose credibility I can trust beyond a doubt.

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5929 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 8 of 49
20 January 2009 at 1:12pm | IP Logged 
I have the course. They don't actually teach you to memorize a book ad verbatim but rather the outlines and important concepts.

I didn't find it too applicable ultimately for language learning; they teach you to memorize word lists, grammar rules and phrases from audiobooks. I tried out the word-list method for about 1 week, memorizing around 200 words in Japanese each day and it really can give you a quick basic vocabulary, ultimately though, I found learning words out of context not very effective. I still incorporate some techniques, but in my opinion, unless you are a student and need to memorize facts of no especial interest to you or your learning style involves heavy doses of isolated vocabulary memorization, you won't get much ultimate utility out of it.

The course can help very much in mental imagery and concentration though.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version