Triglot
United States
Joined 5543 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Italian, Spanish, English*
Studies: Portuguese, Gujarati

Message 1 of 10
25 January 2009 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
I'm a full-time university student studying both Spanish and Italian at an advanced level (in an English speaking country). I grew up in a household where both languages were spoken, so I have a certain level of familiarity with them (I would not say that my level in either is on par with my English, having received no formal education at all in either before high school, and even there it was lackluster). So I'm in the midst of studying advanced grammar in both languages, learning all of the rules and tenses (things which I didn't really know about beforehand, just knowing what sounded right and sometimes was in fact wrong) - but I'd say I'm basically fluent already in both, and my comprehension is near-native.

My question is for those who have experience learning several Romance languages. I am also interested in learning French and Portuguese - and I have done some cursory research that indicates that there is an especially high lexical and structural similarity between Italian and French on the one hand, and Spanish and Portuguese on the other. I can read a text in either language - for instance, I usually understand most of a newspaper article with no prior study in either language besides taking one French 101 class.

I'm not sure if my schedule at the moment would allow for serious extracurricular study of another language on the level I'm doing for Italian and Spanish already, but I'd like some pointers to good resources for speakers of the languages I do know (better) to learn the ones that I don't (like French for Italian speakers, or Portuguese for Spanish speakers) that maximize on the similarities between the languages. I realize that there are caveats with this and that there will be some mix-ups trying to carry over structures between languages that aren't quite one-to-one. Would anyone dispute my assumption that this would be the better and less complicated way to pick up said languages, rather than relying on English-language material that is normally available at bookstores in my country?

Schedule-wise, I did see on this site that the webmaster indicated that this kind of learning could be very quick (three months in some cases?) - so if anyone knows of an accelerated program that I could use during the summer to pick up a good bit of either language, that would be appreciated as well.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5771 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 2 of 10
25 January 2009 at 11:51am | IP Logged 
ateo wrote:
Would anyone dispute my assumption that this would be the better and less complicated way to pick up said languages, rather than relying on English-language material that is normally available at bookstores in my country?

No, I wouldn't dispute it, but I would include a small caveat:

Some courses (eg Assimil) are translated into many languages, so they don't make any assumptions about the learner's home language. In which case, you'd probably be best off learning from your strongest language, rather than your nearest.

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6425 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 3 of 10
26 January 2009 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Some courses (eg Assimil) are translated into many languages, so they don't make any assumptions about the learner's home language.

In most cases, Assimil is originally written for French speakers and then translated to other languages. So I'd strongly recommend using the French version if possible.

tim.mccravy
United States
Joined 5540 days ago

19 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: Spanish

Message 4 of 10
27 January 2009 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
My college Spanish teacher insisted insisted that one should learn any language as an independent language and never used another language as a stepping stone, and even went so far as to claim that when he learned Portuguese in Brazil, he consciously refused to convert a Spanish word into Portuguese.

Personally, I think he was being thick, and you can certainly find materials that will help you. I don't know about French courses "in" Italian, but I'll tell you that you definitely have a head start, for instance, with the past tense. You'll already know whether to use aller or haver (or is it havre?) to form the past because Italian does te same thing. You'll also recognize that French "C'est" and Italian "C'e" are essentially the same grammatically. As for Spanish and Portuguese, try the FSI Portugese for Spanish speakers.

You're really in a good position, you know. You get the benefit of Western Romance Grammar (Comer-to eat from Latin Comedere, Hablar/falar: to speak from Fabulare) and the French/Italian central Romance Grammar (Manger: to eat, from Mangere, and Parler: to speak).

Oh, and please forgive any mistakes I've made: Spanish is a love of mine, Italian a future conquest, but French only a University requirement :)

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6463 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 10
28 January 2009 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
tim.mccravy wrote:
My college Spanish teacher insisted insisted that one should learn any language as an independent language and never used another language as a stepping stone, and even went so far as to claim that when he learned Portuguese in Brazil, he consciously refused to convert a Spanish word into Portuguese.

Personally, I think he was being thick, ...

So do I. I went from being barely able to read Portuguese to being able to use it for travelling in one month in 2006, and since then I have improved enough to be able to speak ONLY Portuguese for weeks, and to read literature without even opening a dictionary. Would I have been able to do that without having my Spanish and other Romance language as a background? Of course not. I studied hard that month, translating, making (primitive) wordlists, exercises from text books, and I listened to a lot of Portuguese internet TV. But without getting thousands of words directly from Spanish I couldn't have advanced that fast, and even in grammatical questions it was useful to know some other Romance languages, even - or especially - if they did things in other ways than Portuguese.

There is some scant evidence that some people tend to learn languages as isolated entities while others learn them as deviant cases of something they alrady know. Whether this is something innate or something that can be forces upon you by a teacher remains to be seen, but I see no reason to believe that your teacher is a better language learner than my humble self. My advice to everybody out there would be to compare languages as much as possible and to take any lexical ressemblances as a gift to you while building your vocabulary.

Edited by Iversen on 28 January 2009 at 1:41am

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5771 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 6 of 10
28 January 2009 at 6:28am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
There is some scant evidence that some people tend to learn languages as isolated entities while others learn them as deviant cases of something they alrady know. Whether this is something innate or something that can be forces upon you by a teacher remains to be seen,

Interesting -- you couldn't point me in the direction of any papers regarding this could you? I'd like to read up on it. Thanks!

TheBiscuit
Tetraglot
Mexico
Joined 5683 days ago

532 posts - 619 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Italian
Studies: German, Croatian

Message 7 of 10
28 January 2009 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
tim.mccravy wrote:

Perhaps he was avoiding cognates on purpose? I can see why he would say this. It kind of lulls you into a false sense of security and by concentrating only on cognates, you spend less time with the words that are unique to the language you're studying. Cognates can also be misleading. You may hear the word propina in Brasil and (if you know Spanish) think it means 'a tip' but there it actually means 'a bribe'!

My Italian suffers from this as I had learnt French and Spanish beforehand. I now have this habit of going through French/Spanish concepts to get to Italian ones which makes it harder to speak when it wouldn't be if I had learnt Italian as an entity itself.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6463 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 10
29 January 2009 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
I have seen the claim about the different brain patterns somewhere on the internet, but I don't have an exact link to the article right now.

The problem with cognates is not a real problem. If you can more or less understand a text because of all the cognates, then it leaves you with more, not less time to study the remaining words and expressions. But of course you can get yourself lulled into a false sense of security - I have seen this with Romainian where I noticed that I knew most of the cognates with other Romance languges, but a far smaller proportion of those that weren't cognates. But there is a simple solution: make a point of searching and learning those non-cognates. It doesn't mean that you should ignore the immense value of getting a lot of words almost for free.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version