Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5801 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 9 of 10
29 January 2009 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
I spent my high school years afraid of "false friends", but the simple fact is that there are more "true friends" than "false friends", and false friends are, for the most part, common words, so you find out about them quick enough anyway.

If false friends were a good reason to learn two languages completely independently, then you would have to learn various dialects as separate languages: consider coger in Spain vs Latin America[*] -- isn't that a "false friend"...?

[*] Edit: I should have explained. Coger in Spain means to take something, whereas in Latin America it means to... urm... "take" someone.

Edited by Cainntear on 29 January 2009 at 4:03pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tim.mccravy
United States
Joined 5570 days ago

19 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: Spanish

Message 10 of 10
30 January 2009 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
"Edit: I should have explained. Coger in Spain means to take something, whereas in Latin America it means to... urm... "take" someone. "

Yep, in Guatemala, "donde puedo coger un autobus" takes on a whole new meaning :)

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version