Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6047 days ago

209 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Dutch, Greek

Message 9 of 11
18 February 2009 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
Prof Arguelles, many thanks for clarifying this. I can, of course, very well appreciate that a ten year learning phase would (God willing) allow for many years of reading!

My comments in the earlier post about being 'an old man' before reaching my goal were indeed slightly tongue in cheek. But they were based on the understanding that it would require several decades of study before reaching a reasonable reading level. (My current age plus even three decades of learning would make me 63 years old - if not an 'old' man, then certainly not a 'young' one!)

I must confess that I doubt whether I could make a learning plan extending beyond 5 years. (There are simply too many unknown factors in life, I find...)
1 person has voted this message useful

blindside70
United States
polymathisthegoal.co
Joined 5543 days ago

24 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Polish, German, French

Message 10 of 11
19 February 2009 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
Well lucky for you JonB you already know English and German and can enjoy all the great literature in those languages...

JonB
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6047 days ago

209 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Dutch, Greek

Message 11 of 11
19 February 2009 at 2:50pm | IP Logged 
blindside70 wrote:
Well lucky for you JonB you already know English and German and can enjoy all the great literature in those languages...

Yes, but we're talking about Arabic here. Englische und Deutsche Literatur lese ich sowieso..;-D

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version