Language Learning Forum : Questions About Your Target Languages Post Reply
MostDef
Canada
Joined 5601 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Studies: French

Message 1 of 8
04 February 2009 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
I have a few books and textbooks for languages that i would like to learn. My strategy with them before was just to copy them down in a notebook, i found this tiring and timeconsuming however and i soon became bored and invariably stoped studying completely.

I have now realised that it is my studying methods that were the cause of this, but i have no idea how to study. Using Textbooks just on my own is very different from learning at a language at school.

So how should i study using these textbooks as opposed to just scribing the textbook out by hand?

In otherwords how can i best absorb the information within the textbooks?

Edited by MostDef on 04 February 2009 at 7:32pm

1 person has voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6064 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 2 of 8
05 February 2009 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
You could try D. Spivak's method (see under "Polyglots"). There are all kinds of approaches to studying. Attentively reading this forum should give you some idea, and the home part of this website also offers some suggestions. Try to find a method or methods that do not bore you. Because boredom will stop you continuing. And be prepared to vary your methods to make them interesting.

eoinda
Tetraglot
Sweden
Joined 5740 days ago

101 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, Spanish, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 3 of 8
11 February 2009 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
Just reading it and learning the unknown words is a good start. It doesn't have to be complicated.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5803 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 4 of 8
15 February 2009 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
Scribing doesn't require understanding and language is all about meaning.

If there's no meaningful material in the textbooks, you'll have to find something else to use instead or additionally.

How to learn from the textbooks you've got? That depends what those textbooks are....

Stephen
Groupie
Australia
Joined 6203 days ago

61 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 6 of 8
04 March 2009 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
Finding the 'correct' way to study, for me, has been another form of procrastination.
There is only one way in my opinion, to get started, and that is to forge ahead with your studies and adopt or adapt new practices as one becomes more adept at the task they have set for themselves.

josephstevens
United States
nulengua.com
Joined 5536 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 7 of 8
06 March 2009 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
Are you doing the exercises and "homework" questions at the end of the chapters? These seems to always hit over the key points of the chapter.

Don't simply copy the text from one source to the next, working the problems requires understanding which is what learning is all about.

Relative
United Kingdom
Joined 5535 days ago

21 posts - 23 votes
Studies: Korean

Message 8 of 8
06 March 2009 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
I'm in a bit of a rut like yourself. Stu Raj's advice on motivation is really good. He say's that you should find 2 native speakers of your target language and meet each of them regularly, but separately. Don't inform either that you have a second partner.

While conversing with your first partner, get him to teach you a slang phrase that can be used in everyday conversation that no regular foreign French learner should know. When you meet your second partner, slide the phrase into the conversation and wait for the inevitable stunned silence and "how the hell did you know that?" Then repeat the exercise as you go back and forth from partner to partner.

I've just started using it myself, and I swear, it makes me excited just thinking of my friends reaction when I throw the slang in there. It really motivates me to keep going and learn more.

Hope this helps

Michael

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version