11 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
COF
United States
Joined 5590 days ago

262 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 11
04 February 2009 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
I was wondering if anyone could suggest any good Icelandic material? I have tried Teach Yourself Icelandic, and while there is a lot of content, I find it a bit dry and not particularly motivating - I can sense myself getting bored of it quite quickly. I haven't tried Colloquial Icelandic as it appears to be out of print, but with a bit of searching I imagine I could aquire it second hand - is that any better?

Is there any other good courses for Icelandic?

Thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5770 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 2 of 11
08 February 2009 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
Colloquial and TY are cut from the same cloth. If you like one, you'll like the other. You don't like one, so you certainly won't like the other.
2 persons have voted this message useful

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6905 days ago

1152 posts - 1817 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 3 of 11
09 February 2009 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
OK, I see I was too impatient. I had to register first to get the download link.

I have downloaded the book.

Thanks for the site information.

Ham
United Kingdom
Joined 5748 days ago

21 posts - 21 votes
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 4 of 11
11 February 2009 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
There is a free online icelandic course, from the university of iceland.http://icelandic.hi.is/
Also on the site mentioned above, if you look at the top you will see a link to make it in english or uzbek, hope that helps.

Edited by Ham on 11 February 2009 at 1:35pm

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6905 days ago

1152 posts - 1817 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 5 of 11
16 February 2009 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
I have downloaded both the Colloquial and the Linguaphone courses. I also have the Teach Yourself course so I am ready to start.

The site has a wealth of material for language learners. I have downloaded a lot.

PaulLambeth
United Kingdom
Joined 5132 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 6 of 11
19 March 2010 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
I´ve recently, after only just seriously undertaking Icelandic study (my first foreign language, so undoubtedly a challenge), discovered the book "Beginner´s Icelandic" by Hippocrene. I´m using it in conjunction with Colloquial; so far through the first 5 or so lessons in each, Colloquial´s downfalls (short texts with quite unsubstantial new vocabulary lists and the underdevelopment of some basic aspects of the language) have been helped by Hippocrene. Colloquial seems to be better so far at explaining grammar in full detail, but lacks a table format a lot of the time, which makes Hippocrene good for cementing the grammar rules.

As I said I´m only speaking after less than 100 pages in each book but I consider Hippocrene and Colloquial a useful combination at the moment. (I´m yet to listen to the audio for Hippocrene).

I was also wondering if anyone's tried the book "Learning Icelandic" from teachers at the University of Iceland? I found it here (I realise it may block the actual hyperlink to prevent spam): http://www.nordicstore.net/learning_icelandic_341_prd1.htm. I doubt I'll get it myself now, as it seems by the description as to be as developed as both those that I have, and the price tag is fairly high.

I'm still lost as to where to get a decent dictionary. I'm not going to get the Hippocrene one judging by the word count.

(I´m aware that the last post date on this thread is February 2009, however I can´t find another newer thread mentioning Icelandic resources so I thought it´d be best to post here)

Edited by PaulLambeth on 19 March 2010 at 8:26pm

zorglub
Pentaglot
France
Joined 6759 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 7 of 11
20 March 2010 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
Message suppressed by author. Stoopid question withdrawn

Edited by zorglub on 21 March 2010 at 7:15pm

egill
Diglot
United States
Joined 5455 days ago

418 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 8 of 11
20 March 2010 at 6:44am | IP Logged 
I'm sure you've probably heard of this resource. But just in case, I think the Stefán Einarsson text: Icelandic: Grammar, Text and Glossary is an awesome resource. Not only does it include a complete grammar, it also has a sizable glossary in the back. It is slightly dated, but for comprehensiveness and value it can't be beat.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version