United Kingdom
Joined 5161 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 9 of 11
20 March 2010 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
egill wrote:
I'm sure you've probably heard of this resource. But just in case, I think the Stefán Einarsson text: Icelandic: Grammar, Text and Glossary is an awesome resource. Not only does it include a complete grammar, it also has a sizable glossary in the back. It is slightly dated, but for comprehensiveness and value it can't be beat.

Ah yes, I forgot about that. I have that also but I'm going to hold off using it until I have a basic understanding of the grammar in all tenses. The text passages and exercises look great to work through. The glossary is quite extensive. I don't think it being dated is necessarily a bad thing with a grammar book in Icelandic, but it's worth pointing out still.
1 person has voted this message useful

goosefrabbas
Triglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6156 days ago

393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 11
20 March 2010 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
The older TY Icelandic course is much better than the newer one. Unfortunately it has no audio.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6491 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 11
21 March 2010 at 2:39am | IP Logged 
The best Icelandic English dictionary is in my opinion the Concise Icelandic-English dictionary from Iðunn, Reykjavík (4. ed. 2007). I ordered my copy from Háskolans boksala (which I found on the internet).

It is newer and better than Águst Sigurðsson: Íslenzk-Dönsk Orðabók (which only is relevant if you know Danish)

From 'something' to Icelandic I have found several dictionaries, which all are reasonably comprehensive, but not as informative about morphology as the Iðunn thing:

The best is probably Pons: Kompaktwörterbuch Deutsch-Isländisch, followed by Nordstedts Svensk-Isländska Ordbog and Mál og Menning's Dönsk-Íslansk Orðabók, - though in the last one I have a lingering feeling of missing out on some of the most common expressions because the book is written for Icelanders. As you can see it is practical to know Danish (or another Scandinavian languages, if you want to learn Icelandic). I did look for a suitable English-Icelandic dictionary during my visit there in 2009, but I didn't really like the alternatives.

As for grammars: if you can read Italian (!) there is a splendid Icelandic grammar online somewhere on the internet, unfortunately with a somewhat cryptic title. I have written the link somewhere in this forum, but I haven't found the place yet.

EDIT - I found it:
"The best Icelandic grammar I have seen until now is online and bears the proud name KENNSLUB. There is only one catch - it is in Italian, sorry. I don't own a good Icelandic grammar on paper right now.

One of the better paperbased textbooks I have seen is the one by Daisy L Neijmann: Colloquial Icelandic (Routledge). But I quite generally don't like textbooks. "

Edited by Iversen on 21 March 2010 at 2:43am

7 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version