Joined 6661 days ago

518 posts - 784 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Taiwanese, German, French

Message 65 of 73
25 February 2009 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
Hencke wrote:
OneEye wrote:
OK, but like I said, we had already established that the goal of the technique was not to learn vocab or grammar, or to memorize anything, but only to get used to the language. So yes, at that point in the thread, the argument was irrelevant. Or at least redundant and late. Like jbbar said, he was just responding to the first post and not to the rest of the thread. Had he read all the comments, I'm sure he would have realized that nobody had suggested those things.

Fair enough, you have some valid points.

Still, whether something has been established or not is also a matter of opinion. You are entitled to hold the opinion that it has been established but somebody else might not agree or might not care.

I totally agree that it is advisable to read the whole thread, to avoid too much repetition, even if it can be hard sometimes due to the length of some threads.

Even so, everyone is always free to comment on those parts of the thread that they choose to, and think that are relevant, belatedly or not.

Fair enough. Apologies.
1 person has voted this message useful

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6183 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 66 of 73
27 February 2009 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
I think its a good idea.

stephen_g
Groupie
Canada
Joined 6140 days ago

44 posts - 84 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Italian

Message 67 of 73
27 February 2009 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
I've been listening to Punjabi on the radio during sleep for about six months. To be honest, I have no idea whether or not it has impacted my feel for the language, as I can't somehow mentally remove what I've gathered from daytime exposure and see what I have left.

Dadanga
United States
andriuszlabys.com
Joined 5276 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English

Message 68 of 73
23 February 2010 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
I find that falling asleep while listening to Assimil helps. The next day I would often replay the phrases in my
mind that have been more and more consolidated into intuitive patterns of speech.
However I always make sure that my Ipod stops playing after one hour at most. Otherwise my sleep is not good.
Even though I "can" sleep, the next day I don't feel well rested.

Regarding learning language in your sleep I have devised an experiment:
Create a playlist where lets say half an hour (or however long it takes one to fall asleep from ones personal
experience) is filled with some speech in the target language which you are trying to learn "normally" but
switches to a new language after half an hour into some language that you would like to expose yourself to only
in your sleep.

I would still make sure that your playlist is limited in time and that you do not put "repeat all" option on. Mind is
a wondrous mechanism and it would be a mistake to try to feed it throughout the whole night while it is trying
to
digest things that it was fed throughout the day.

Edited by Dadanga on 25 February 2010 at 8:01am

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5192 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 69 of 73
02 March 2010 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
If my son is sleeping, I have no problem talking to my wife about his birthday gift right next to him. If he can wake up and not remember any of it, I don't see how he could learn a language that way.

However, listening as you go to sleep might help. A little.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5233 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 70 of 73
02 March 2010 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
If my son is sleeping, I have no problem talking to my wife about his birthday gift right next to him. If he can wake up and not remember any of it, I don't see how he could learn a language that way.

However, listening as you go to sleep might help. A little.
I looked up some stuff on this a while ago, and from what I remember, you can retain things you hear in the REM cycle of sleep (which I think is the first 10-30 minutes of sleep). Retain in the sense that you may be able to recall it vaguely, not that you could listen to Pimsleur and learn that whole lesson. But once you get into a deep sleep, you won't notice it.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me will clear this up.

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6676 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 71 of 73
05 March 2010 at 1:12pm | IP Logged 
Amoore wrote:
Can someone recommended it, or is it a waste of time? :)

André Moore

I think it has its uses. For example, nothing wrong with listening to it as you drift off to sleep. When you are tired, reading/writing exercises on your target languages will be tricky, so listening is easy. You can just lie in bed with the MP3/iPod going.

Having said that, once you fall asleep, don't think you will wake up in the morning fluent.

TheBiscuit
Tetraglot
Mexico
Joined 5734 days ago

532 posts - 619 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Italian
Studies: German, Croatian

Message 72 of 73
09 March 2010 at 5:55am | IP Logged 
I think you can do some deeper learning in the states/brain wave cycles before sleep sets in. The trick is to remain conscious. On a related subject, I always find that MT courses make me drowsy after half a CD. I think they're great. I just can't fight off the drowsiness. I have fallen asleep many times listening to them. I can't say I learnt anything after the point I at which I fell asleep.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 73 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version