Joined 5151 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 17 of 21
04 August 2010 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
TheGBiBanana wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
I find Colloquial Polish caused "word fog". All these nouns and adjectives appear in small lists and you're suddenly expected to use them in answering questions, but they're not settled in, so all you can do is flip back a page and look them up.

I've noticed my TY Arabic book is like that, it list's alot of vocabulary and expects you to use it. To deal with thise I just learn/memorize ALL of the words before moving on to the next chapter, it takes longer but it's worth it.

I felt this way sometimes with TY and Colloquial, so I took the following approach to get around this problem. I always go through the grammar points and examples first, before answering any questions. It has been my experience that this kind of book typically re-generates the same vocabulary words throughout the whole chapter, within its examples, etc. I personally use flashcards to study vocabulary, although I know others use different methods. Therefore, when going through the examples, I also write the vocabulary words (and the useful sentences) onto flashcards. When I am finished with doing this for the chapter, I go back and look at the dialogue, and also work through the questions. This process helps me efortlessly memorize a good portion of the words, and then I dedicate time later to learn the words further via the flashcards I made.
1 person has voted this message useful

flydream777
Triglot
United States
Joined 6290 days ago

77 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Greek, Hungarian, Armenian, Irish, Italian

Message 18 of 21
05 August 2010 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
I would not start out as a beginner with a Colloquial course, although I realize that, for some languages, the learner does not have much of a choice. That being said, I use Colloquial as a followup and review for several languages.

I love the Colloquial books for two main reasons:

1) The audio is great, namely for the reason that it seems to be spoken at a native pace, with natural intonation and pronunciation. It is in fact "colloquial," which to me means the language as heard on the street (more or less). The Colloquial Irish course, which teaches Irish from Cois Fharraige in Conamara, was an invaluable resource because of the focus on a colloquial dialect instead of some watered down "standard" language. The drawback is that it does contain a lot of English, which I edit out. Towards the end of the book, there are whole paragraphs which are read - which is highly desired I think.

2) Grammar explanations/reference. I like the Colloquial series as a grammar summary/review, mainly after I get through an Assimil course.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Przemek
Hexaglot
Poland
multigato.blogspot.c
Joined 6274 days ago

107 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, SpanishC2, Italian, Portuguese, French
Studies: Turkish, Hindi, Arabic (Written)

Message 19 of 21
11 August 2010 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
I just finished Colloquial Hindi. I also have other books, e.g. Teach Yourself Hindi. As others I can only say - combine several sources. As to Hindi books: Colloquial has fewer dialogs, boring ones, little grammar - but some things are explained better than in TY. Apart from that I hate the scheme of the dialogs in Colloquial. They are written in devanagari and right after the sentence there is its transliteration. If you want to learn to read devanagari it's not good, because you unconsciously tend to look at the transliterated text. In TY you have transliteration after the text, but only in first lessons, then the authors decided it is not needed any longer, and they were right. The dialogs in TY are more intersting, they tell the same story throughout the book, they include more words you will need to communicate effectively. TY has more detailed explanations about verbs and tenses. If I could use only one book, I would pick TY.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Danac
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 5147 days ago

162 posts - 257 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: German, Serbo-Croatian, French, Russian, Esperanto

Message 20 of 21
11 August 2010 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
I've only been through one lesson in Colloquial Hungarian, but I'm using TY and Assimil
at the same time, so I can't help comparing them to each other.

As far as I can see, Colloquial is the most ambitious one of the three. It has the most
vocabulary and the most grammar details right from the start. TY is fine as well, and
it adds some different elements to the mix. It doesn't have as much grammar as
Colloquial, so it goes down easier. Assimil might be the most approachable of the
three, since the lessons are quite short and they keep the grammar stuff down to a
minimum at first. I'm also excited to see how it goes on, since it's my first try with
Assimil.

I think I read something about Colloquial (and TY for that matter) being of different
quality, so it might differ. The Hungarian seems fine to me, though.

1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6955 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 21 of 21
11 August 2010 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
I generally find Colloquial's method to be satisfactory for my purposes when beginning the study of a foreign language. However, the quality of a course from "Colloquial..." varies from one language to the next because of the different authors involved even though they adhere to the basic chapter-structure of dialogues followed by grammatical notes and then followed by a few exercises.

My biggest complaint about Colloquial's method is that it often skimps on exercises at the expense of the other sections in the chapters when compared to the competing offering from "Teach Yourself...". Courses from "Colloquial..." also make up the biggest portion of the worst language courses that I've encountered. I've been disappointed by "Colloquial Croatian"/Colloquial Croatian and Serbian"/"Colloquial Serbian", "Colloquial Estonian", "Colloquial Finnish", "Colloquial Romanian" and "Colloquial Slovene". With the exception of "Colloquial Slovene", the appropriate counterpart from "Teach Yourself..." provides a much better introduction to the language.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version