United States
polymathisthegoal.co
Joined 5548 days ago

24 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Polish, German, French

Message 1 of 78
15 February 2009 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
There's so much good stuff here and I'm so appreciative of everything you've done and the work you've done here. I wish someone would just edit all this information you've given because I've wasted/spent/enjoyed a lot of time reading them and finding specific information.

I want to ask why don't you write a perfect language course for people who really want to know languages? You're obviously very prolific and if you just over saw the program that would be amazing. From reading your posts we all know that you don't think any language program is perfect and you've worked out how to make each correct for studying. I think it would be cool and I'd actually buy them....
1 person has voted this message useful

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7043 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 2 of 78
15 February 2009 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
Thank you so much for the kind words. I would LOVE to spend the next stage of my life designing language courses! If only a publisher would contract with me to do just this...
2 persons have voted this message useful

blindside70
United States
polymathisthegoal.co
Joined 5548 days ago

24 posts - 31 votes

Message 3 of 78
15 February 2009 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
Self Publish!!!! Self Publish!!!

I know about 50 people on this site that would buy them all!!!!

You'd have to go through a college publishing house first though since you have a more scholarlary approach and then maybe sell it to a bigger publisher. I would buy your German, Spanish (advanced), Italian, and French courses the minute they're available. (Actually the Polish zloty is falling apart so I'd have to buy one at a time ;)

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7043 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 4 of 78
28 April 2009 at 4:54am | IP Logged 
A publishing house has contacted me about the possibility of having me design a line of language courses. It is all very tentative, of course, only in the most preliminary of planning stages, but it is promising...

I need to sketch and present the outline of a format. It is already taking shape in my head on its own, but so that I do not stupidly overlook anything terribly obvious, it would still be of great assistance to me if, over the next few days, some of you could brainstorm about what is lacking in the materials that are currently available and what could make a new language line most distinctively different.

Thank you in advance,

Alexander Arguelles

blindside70
United States
polymathisthegoal.co
Joined 5548 days ago

24 posts - 31 votes

Message 6 of 78
28 April 2009 at 8:40am | IP Logged 
10,000 words is a big jump. Maybe over two levels that would be attainable.

I think the most important thing is to stick with what you've taught us. The texts should be short and direct. The biggest problem with Assimil was the huge gaps, your audio should have that. There should be something specific for scriptorium. The course should start with beginner style material and advance to newspaper/magazine articles to pieces of literature. And blah blah, everything else everyone will repeat.

Something interesting and something I'd like to hear more on from you and others on the site and something that would COMPLETELY set apart your language learning system from any other would be transcribing/making vocabulary lists of a set of native speaker conversations that were not scripted, but then taught as a lesson. It would certainly be a selling point, Advanced Level: 'Conversations first time ever...unscripted..."

Anyway that's my two cents. If I think of something else...
Christopher Sarda

blindside70
United States
polymathisthegoal.co
Joined 5548 days ago

24 posts - 31 votes

Message 7 of 78
28 April 2009 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
...oh I forgot...

Since your goal is overall is to create an army of polyglots, the material for the most part should match from lesson to lesson and language to language. At least at the beginner/preintermediate levels.

grwn
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5636 days ago

79 posts - 80 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*

Message 8 of 78
28 April 2009 at 9:56am | IP Logged 
Dear Professor,

In my study of the Japanese language I have come across this website, which is essentially an online textbook. The things that attracted me to this book was the fact that it didn't start of with complete sentences to learn, or complete dialogues. It actually started, as you can see, with explaining the way a noun can be conjugated to form the state of being. As is said in the introduction, this removes the problem with most textbooks in that they don't introduce you into the way of thinking in that particular society. I understand this will most likely not be needed, or just very lightly, for most western languages, but I'm quite sure it would help those learning the more exotic languages like Chinese, Korean, Japanese or Arabic for example.

Sincerely,
Gerwin

This discussion contains 78 messages over 10 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version