Scotland
Joined 5490 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, Russian
Studies: French, German, Italian, Croatian, Serbian

Message 65 of 78
08 July 2009 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
danieldesu wrote:
In the day of MP3s, DVDs, and 1TB hard drives, we should be getting 100 hours, and if there is no English, that makes it even more efficient.

How is it possible to learn using audio only, without using your native language?
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6695 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 66 of 78
08 July 2009 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
You could still use written instructions, e.g. wordlists, dictionaries, grammar sections.

What I think danieldesu means, is that the audio should be in the target language only, and not be filled with prompts like "Now, do you remember how to say 'good morning'? *pause* [voice] Did your pronunciation match the native speaker's? Try again!".

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 09 July 2009 at 1:29am

Jackal11
Groupie
United States
Joined 5448 days ago

41 posts - 45 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Latin

Message 68 of 78
27 July 2009 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Professor, I don't know if you're still reading this post or not, but here's my two-cents.

What the language learning world needs more than anything else right now is a comprehensive series of graded readers designed to help students acquire enough vocabulary to read the literature of the whatever language they're learning. I am thinking of something along the lines of the 'Lingua Latina' series, which is designed to help people work their way up from knowing no Latin, to being able to read actual Latin literature. I am not saying you should use Orberg's exact method (he uses no English throughout his books, which would clearly be inappropriate for learning a language which does not share thousands of cognates with English) but the general intent of creating a comprehensive series of graded readers which would introduce a learner to thousands of vocabulary terms is something we need more of. Furthermore, I do not believe these graded readers should contain the same structures and stories (i.e. the adventures of John and Jane Doe) for every language of the product line, but instead, each individual title should be specialized for whatever language is being learned and that language's greatest works of literature. For example, a Latin version might cover the life of Julius Caesar and the introduction of relevant terms pertaining to him, with the expectation being someone learning Latin is ultimately going to try and tackle his accounts of the Gallic Wars. An Italian version might have a dumbed down edition of the Divine Comedy and so one. The point is, each individual title would follow a unique storyline, consisting of passages graded for difficulty, that interest the reader while introducing him to large amounts of vocabulary.   
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kugel
United States
Joined 6324 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 

Message 69 of 78
28 July 2009 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
Dr. Arguelles, is there an update on this project?

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6256 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 70 of 78
30 July 2009 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
Jackal, Kenneth Myers (a college professor of English) and I are working on English and Esperanto textbooks similar to Lingua Latina. For Spanish a book of this kind seems to already exist, though I haven't been able to get my hands on it.

Jackal11
Groupie
United States
Joined 5448 days ago

41 posts - 45 votes
Studies: German, Latin

Message 71 of 78
30 July 2009 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Jackal, Kenneth Myers (a college professor of English) and I are working on English and Esperanto textbooks similar to Lingua Latina. For Spanish a book of this kind seems to already exist, though I haven't been able to get my hands on it.

Interesting. Thank you for the info.

Kugel
United States
Joined 6324 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 

Message 72 of 78
30 July 2009 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
I had a look at a few of the sample pages of Lingua Latina, and I found it hard to figure out what some of the words meant using the "direct method." By not looking up words you are favoring using words in an imprecise manner, which can lead to embarrassment and laziness...at least in your native language; it would be simply confusion and frustration in the L2. Context can often be misleading and ambiguous. Is there a vocab book alongside of the main text?   

Edited by Kugel on 30 July 2009 at 9:10pm

This discussion contains 78 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version