United States
Joined 5564 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 1 of 6
01 March 2009 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
VN: Phải, tôi đang học tiếng Việt!

Chào! Tôi tên là "afrocano" và tôi sống ở Hoa Kỳ. Tôi gần 29 tuổi. Tôi đã lập gia đình
và có 3 con. Tôi học tiếng Việt vì vợ tôi là người Việt. Vào năm 2010 chung tôi sẽ đi
dến Việt Nam và tôi muốn nói với gia đinh của vợ tôi.

EN: Hello to anyone who is interested! I did notice that there are a few people here
who are actively studying Vietnamese and I hope to learn something from everyone who
is.

I'm "Afrocano" which is a nickname I came up with by shortening the term "afro-
americano" of which I am one (I study Spanish also). Like I said in the Viet version,
I'm almost 29 years old, married with 3 kids. My wife is Vietnamese and I'm learning
Tieng Viet b/c when we return to Vietnam (we've been before) in 2010 I want to talk to
her family without needing constant translation. Properly learning Vietnamese is my
2009 New Year's Resolution.

I'll go into my method some other time. At current my materials are (in no particular
order):

*Mnemosyne (SRS flashcard program) total cards = 641, total not memorised = 89
*Rosetta Stone Vietnamese
*Viet1000 Dictionary (computer program)
*http://www.vdict.com
*http://www.bbcvietnamese.com
*http://vi.wikipedia.org
*SBTN television network ($15/mo thru Comcast)
*Audio burned from 4 movies that I borrowed from my in-laws (they live here in the US)
I usually listen to 1-4 hours of Vietnamese each day even though I understand maybe 5%
of it.
*Vietnamese daily news podcast from NHK in Japan.
*FSI Vietnamese course
*A few phrase books and Viet-Eng/Viet-Eng books that I picked up in Saigon last year.
*Read Vietnamese & Speak Vietnamese by Nguyen Dinh-Hoa

1 person has voted this message useful

nobita
Diglot
Vietnam
Joined 5662 days ago

20 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: Vietnamese*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Mandarin, Thai

Message 2 of 6
01 March 2009 at 8:59am | IP Logged 
Hi alfrocano,
It's the first time I've ever seen Vietnamese produced by a foreigner. To be frank, I immediately imagine how 'foreign' my English is, just as your Vietnamese is (don't mean to disappoint you). Since I always want my English to be more native, I'd like to do the same with yours. Hope you don't mind:

Chào! Tôi tên là "afrocano" và tôi sống ở Hoa Kỳ(1). Tôi gần 29 tuổi. Tôi đã lập gia đình
và có 3 con. Tôi học tiếng Việt vì vợ tôi là người Việt. Vào năm 2010 (2) chung tôi sẽ đi
dến (3) Việt Nam và tôi muốn nói (4) với gia đinh của (5) vợ tôi.

(1) If you have been to Vietnam, you should realize that people call your country 'Mỹ' in most cases. 'Hoa Kỳ' is used only in very formal situations, like in foreign affairs.
(2) We usually use 'năm nay'(this year), 'năm ngoái'(last year), 'năm sau'(next year) instead of an exact number when talking about time.
(3) The verb 'sang'(to come to) will be more familiar.
(4) You should defenitely use 'nói chuyện' (to have a conversation, to talk) here, not 'nói' (to tell)
(5) 'của' should be omitted
Hope this'll help

afrocano
Diglot
United States
Joined 5564 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 3 of 6
01 March 2009 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
nobita wrote:
Hi alfrocano,
It's the first time I've ever seen Vietnamese produced by a foreigner. To be frank, I
immediately imagine how 'foreign' my English is, just as your Vietnamese is (don't
mean to disappoint you). Since I always want my English to be more native, I'd like to
do the same with yours. Hope you don't mind:

Hi nobita. No, I don't mind you correcting my writing at all, in fact I welcome it,
thank you! I was hoping that a native speaker or student with more knowledge than I
would correct my writing.

Yes, I realize that my Vietnamese probably sounds stilted, overly formal and very
"foreign-like." I imagine that it probably sounds similar to my 2 year old daughter
who is learning to speak in complete sentences, "I am 29 years old. I want to talk to
my wife's family. We are returning to Vietnam." I am just beginning to be able to
read news articles, so I'm sure I'll be able to learn a more "natural" way of writing.

Let's try rewriting my introduction with your corrections:

Chào! Tôi tên là "afrocano" và tôi sống ở nước Mỹ. Tôi gần 29 tuổi. Tôi đã lập gia
đình và có 3 con. Tôi học tiếng Việt vì vợ tôi là người Việt. Năm sau chung tôi sẽ đi
sang Việt Nam và tôi muốn nói chuyện với gia đinh vợ tôi.

afrocano
Diglot
United States
Joined 5564 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 4 of 6
03 March 2009 at 5:37am | IP Logged 
*On Sunday I watched Em Hoc Tieng Viet which is a kids show designed to help teach
Tieng Viet to kids of overseas Vietnamese. I love the karaoke portion of the show. I
don't have a clue what they're talking about, but seeing the words spelled out on
screen and then hearing a native speaker say them (albeit, a little kid) really helps.

*On Sunday I acquired some Viet language music CD's. This is one of the ways I made
huge advances in Spanish. I got some music by Lam Thuy Van, My Le, and some CD called
"LK Nhạc Trẻ 7". I don't know if that's the name of the group, or the album or what. I
didn't really listen to the Lam Thuy Van CD today because the music was kinda slow and
I needed some uptempo music at work. I listened to Viet pop music for a good 2 hours.

*Did my SRS reps of course.

Qinshi
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5564 days ago

115 posts - 183 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese*, English
Studies: French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 5 of 6
11 March 2009 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
Congrats on learning tiếng Việt. Tui chưa hề gặp người nước ngoại nào biết viết tiếng Việt như bạn dù tui đã quen biết vài người biết nói thôi. :Đ

xees
Joined 4863 days ago

28 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 6 of 6
25 January 2011 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
Chào các bạn. Tôi cũng học Tiếng Việt và đang sống ở nước Việt.

Tôi nghĩ, nếu bạn có thể tìm được một người Việt muốn tám với bạn thì tốt vì bạn có thể tập nói chuyện và cái đó dzui hơn tự học.

Nếu có ai hết muốn tám (bằng tiếng Việt) với tôi thì chỉ viết thư cho tôi.

Forum này cần nhiều hơn người nói được tiếng Việt!

Note: tám nghĩa là nói chuyện (và 8)
dzui = vui, tôi đang sống ở miềng Nam sau đó muốn nói và viết giống giọng Nam

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version