Triglot
Germany
Joined 5527 days ago

300 posts - 317 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Spanish
Studies: French, Turkish, Mandarin, Bulgarian, Persian, Dutch

Message 1 of 9
02 March 2009 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
Anyone know some good literature in Finnish. People say that if you practice reading you pick up the language.
Also movies anyone?

1 person has voted this message useful

Satoshi
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 5604 days ago

215 posts - 224 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 2 of 9
03 March 2009 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
Helsinkiin.

There's even a "audio book". It's free and legal to download. I think it is in a site called Project Gutenberg or something like this.

sprachefin
Triglot
Germany
Joined 5527 days ago

300 posts - 317 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Spanish
Studies: French, Turkish, Mandarin, Bulgarian, Persian, Dutch

Message 3 of 9
04 March 2009 at 4:07am | IP Logged 
Thank you so much. It seems like there is no Finnish literature to be found. I have been looking up the Glass Key
Awards which have books that are the best Nordic crime novels of the year. I think they might include Finnish
books.

Ruisperkele
Diglot
Finland
Joined 5873 days ago

25 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: German

Message 4 of 9
15 March 2009 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
I doubt that you can find Finnish-language books very easily from Germany. If you really want to read Finnish books, you should probably order some books from Finland via an online store. There are good authors out there, but reading novels might be quite a challenge if you are still a beginner with the language.

As for movies, Finland produces probably the worst movies in the world. Only a handful of new movies are produced every year and most of them are not worth watching. However there are some movies that are of more decent quality, and surely some online store sells them.

You'd be more well-off with Finnish music though.

glossa.passion
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6102 days ago

267 posts - 349 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, EnglishC1, Danish
Studies: Spanish, Dutch

Message 5 of 9
15 March 2009 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
It's no problem to get Finnish books in Germany. Just visit the homepage of Meysenburg. They are specialized in Skandinavian books and I can highly recommend them! Although they have no selection for Finnish books on their site, they mail you a list "Skandinavier in deutscher Übersetzung". They import every Skandinavian book. If you look for crime stories you might try Lena Lehtolainen. The people at Meysenburg are really very polite and call you back for further information.

Last year had absolutely no problem to get Danish and Swedish books from them. Shipping costs are also o.k. - only the postage within Germany.

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6675 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 9
15 March 2009 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
I can recommend Leena Lehtolainen too. I have quite a few of her books. Many are detective stories but not exclusively so. A number of her works have been translated into German (I have a couple of those also), which might be helpful if you want to try parallell reading.

And in the funny and entertaining department you can't go wrong with Arto Paasilinna. He'll have you rolling all over the floor laughing.

Project Gutenberg has a few titles in Finnish too, such as "Helsinkiin" that was mentioned above.

As for classics you have Alexis Kivi with "Seitsemän veljestä", Wäinö Linna with the "Täällä pohjantähden alla" trilogy and "Tuntematon sotilas", and of course Mika Waltari with a number of works that won international acclaim, at least one of them (Sinuhe the Egyptian) even making it into a Hollywood movie.

I guess Ruisp..le is right that a large part of the films produced are not quite up to international standards but it doesn't mean they have no merit at all, and I am sure you can live with a few shortcomings if it is for language practice purposes.

Edited by Hencke on 15 March 2009 at 11:44pm

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 7 of 9
17 March 2009 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
For movies, Star Wreck - In the Pirkinning has a certain amount of international fame/infamy. It's the only Finnish film I've seen, and while I can't say it's a classic of the highest caliber, it is quite funny.

Satoshi
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 5604 days ago

215 posts - 224 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 8 of 9
18 March 2009 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
Seems that Star Wreck - In the Pirkinning has all kinds of subtitles availiable, INCLUDING FINNISH!

Yay!

Nice way to get used to pronunciation and rhythm and all. If you have a good player, you can even download English and Finnish subtitles and display them simultaneously!

Gotta love technology!

God, I hope I get Japanese over with soon so I can dive into Finnish!

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version