aka a.ardaschira, Athena, Michael Thomas
United States
Joined 6406 days ago

382 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 73 of 117
10 July 2007 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
I guess Ardaschir came and went before I found this forum. I have read this entire thread and it seems like he was an extraodinary polyglot, extraordinarily insightful...looked up to by the forum as a shepheard by his flock and now we are all longing for his second coming.
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6221 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 74 of 117
10 July 2007 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
Cage wrote:
I guess Ardaschir came and went before I found this forum. I have read this entire thread and it seems like he was an extraodinary polyglot, extraordinarily insightful...looked up to by the forum as a shepheard by his flock and now we are all longing for his second coming.

He was certainly extraordinary. That said, I don't think that he was a shepherd, so much as someone greatly experienced and willing to share information; and I think this was largely, though not exclusively, respected and valued. As for a second coming - it would certainly be nice to have more of his posts here, and I would not complain if this were to be the case, but it seems unlikely. What I do wish is that he'd publish his book on polyglottery.

Ardaschir can certainly be someone to look up to, but I wouldn't put it in religious terms.

Cage
Diglot
aka a.ardaschira, Athena, Michael Thomas
United States
Joined 6406 days ago

382 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 75 of 117
10 July 2007 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
I have read many of his posts and found them profoundly helpfull. Why do you think his return unlikely?

Edited by Cage on 10 July 2007 at 9:20pm

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6221 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 76 of 117
10 July 2007 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
Cage wrote:
I have read many of his posts and found them profoundly helpfull. Why do you think his return unlikely?

Because of how long he's been absent, and how busy he is. Between maintaining as many languages he does, having a family, and having an academic career, including writing books, there's really not much time left in the day, or so I'd imagine.

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6650 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 78 of 117
25 August 2007 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
Athena wrote:
I have been studying Ardaschir's posts and have come to some conclusions concerning his disappearance from the forum.

I'm curious, what conclusions have you reached?

nhk9
Canada
Joined 6586 days ago

290 posts - 319 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 79 of 117
25 August 2007 at 4:13am | IP Logged 
The below is from a post he made some two years ago. This may explain why he's not coming back soon:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=220&PN=0&TPN=2

Ardaschir wrote:
I, too, hope that this forum will be one for language learners of all kinds. However, it is evolving into one for beginners only. How on earth has it come accross that I wish to discriminate against them or shut them out? In "reality" I teach a class of my own design called "the effective study of foreign languages" every semester, in which almost all of my students are novices, and through which I believe (because of their feedback) I help them more than I do in any other class. I joined this forum because I wish to do the same with people all over the world, and yet somehow I cannot get that message across.    Well, let's start all over again:
Hello. I am a genuine polyglot. I would like to share my experience with those of you who would also like to become polyglots. Is this a site for me to do that? I thought it was, but both the increasing proportion of dilletantes to serious students and the amount of resentment that I sense from those here "present" are driving me away.

Edited by nhk9 on 25 August 2007 at 4:14am

FSI
United States
Joined 6141 days ago

550 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 80 of 117
25 August 2007 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
He got tired of defending Assimil and his perspectives on language learning. I don't believe he'll ever be back, as neither facet of the site has changed - not the malignment of Assimil on the general page, nor the constant bickering over its effectivity vs. drill-based methods (FSI) in the forums. Listen-reading, which he discussed extensively, also faces mixed reviews, and I wouldn't imagine he'd fancy spending time arguing over it either upon a return. In many ways, he was like siommottkeiru (who was banned) - he introduced novel approaches to learning to the forum, and his ideas were largely rejected. Needless to say, there was also some amount of hostility over his position as "someone down from the mountain", so to speak. It's easy to read his frustration in any of the various threads he posted in. Why on Earth would he return for more?

This discussion contains 117 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version