11 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
COF
United States
Joined 5613 days ago

262 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 11
15 March 2009 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
I've been wanting to learn Mandarin for a while, and the Assimil method is highly interesting, albeit a bit weird at first. I've looked through the Assimil Chinese book in French, and I don't quite understand the theory, although many people swear by it.

It seems the first few lessons presents you with a dialogue in Chinese, then a French (or whatever base language) translation. It doesn't really talk about grammar and actually says "You should focus on pronouncation and memorization rather than trying to work out the structure of the sentences" or words to that effect. I don't get how you can pick up vocabulary when you don't actually know the structure of what you're saying, so you don't know what means what. It's all very confusing.

So, 2 questions really. How good is Assimil Chinese with Ease and upon completion what sort of level would one be at? And secondly, how does the Assimil method work in general, how much grammar is focused upon?

Thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6691 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 11
15 March 2009 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
Each lesson has grammar notes in the margin. There is also a summary every seventh lesson. You get the original text in Chinese characters as well as pinyin, an English translation and a literal word-for-word translation (however, this isn't the case for French, German and Spanish). Thus, you will know exactly what means what.

Example:
老王的姐姐有孩子吗?
Lǎo Wáng de jiějie yǒu háizi ma?
Has Wang's older sister got children?
old Wang possessive sister have child interr.?
3 persons have voted this message useful

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6098 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 3 of 11
18 March 2009 at 5:32am | IP Logged 
In addition to what Jeff_lindqvist has said, it should also be noted that both volumes are actually quite simplistic and I don't think they would bring you to a particularly high level. Of course, they are for this reason great for getting basic literacy down and learning to comprehend simple sentences, especially if you enjoy transcribing/scriptorium but compared with Linguaphone's offering (which I very much recommend, though be prepared as it is very heavygoing and thorough), it's a little disappointing overall, considering what other Assimil courses have been like, ie. Spanish with Ease or Le Suédois sans Peine.

Edited by ChristopherB on 18 March 2009 at 5:34am

Welltravelled
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5644 days ago

46 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 4 of 11
20 March 2009 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
I've considered learning Chinese with assimil.

How well does it really teach you the grammar though?

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5681 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 5 of 11
20 March 2009 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
ChristopherB wrote:
In addition to what Jeff_lindqvist has said, it should also be noted that both volumes are actually quite simplistic and I don't think they would bring you to a particularly high level. Of course, they are for this reason great for getting basic literacy down and learning to comprehend simple sentences, especially if you enjoy transcribing/scriptorium but compared with Linguaphone's offering (which I very much recommend, though be prepared as it is very heavygoing and thorough), it's a little disappointing overall, considering what other Assimil courses have been like, ie. Spanish with Ease or Le Suédois sans Peine.

Where can one get these Linguaphone courses in print?
2 persons have voted this message useful

vikramkr
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5851 days ago

248 posts - 326 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese

Message 6 of 11
14 July 2009 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
Here is the link to purchase Linguaphone's Mandarin course.

jpxt2
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6513 days ago

46 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, French
Studies: Mandarin, Catalan, Portuguese, German, Italian

Message 7 of 11
15 July 2009 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
Having seen the two volumes of Assimil Chinese, I can confirm that they will not take you to a very high level at all when all is said and done.

goosefrabbas
Triglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6150 days ago

393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 11
15 July 2009 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
JuanM wrote:

Where can one get these Linguaphone courses in print?

You might want to look on eBay or Abebooks or DealOz if you don't mind having used materials. I certainly don't mind paying less for it. :)

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version