Triglot
Belgium
Joined 5686 days ago

980 posts - 1006 votes 
Speaks: French*, Dutch, German

Message 1 of 3
21 March 2009 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
Dear Prof. Argüelles,

Some people tell that Limburgs is a dialect, but other ones that it's a separated language. In my opinion, mostly the versions of Limburgs are German dialects, but sometimes maybe they're Dutch dialects: it's the connection Dutch-Limburgs-German. The people who speak Limburgs call it 'plat' In your opinion, is 'it' (there are many versions of Limburgs) a dialect or language? If you agree with me that it's a dialect, is it Dutch or German?

My other question: is it tonal? I think that it isn't, but that the intonation has a varied pitch, much more up and down as standard dutch or German, therefore some people thought it's tonal.

Thank you very much. Have a nice weekend.

Yours sincerely,

Jar-Ptitsa.
1 person has voted this message useful

ronp
Heptaglot
Australia
ronpeek.blogspo
Joined 5882 days ago

33 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, German, Flemish, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Norwegian, Mandarin, Esperanto, Finnish, Macedonian, Hindi, Greek, Indonesian, Lithuanian, Basque, Portuguese, Russian, Arabic (Written), Sign Language
Studies: Turkish, Swahili

Message 2 of 3
21 March 2009 at 12:52pm | IP Logged 
Dear Jar-Ptitsa,

I recently provided the English translation of the website of the Limburgish
Academy Foundation, which aims to preserve and provide information about
the Limburgish language, among other things. Limburgish is recognised as
an official (regional) language under the European Charter for Regional
or Minority Languages, and has various dialects.

In addition, it also makes use of contrastive tonality in order to
distinguish meaning, not found in Dutch or German, but typical of
several adjacent Rhenish dialects. There is a distinction between
a 'draw tone' and a 'push tone':
http://www.limburgs.org/en/limburgish/characteristics

For more information, including the history of Limburgish, please see
the website, available in English, Dutch and Limburgish: http://www.limburgs.org/en/about-us

Kind regards,

Ron Peek

Edited by ronp on 21 March 2009 at 1:09pm

Jar-ptitsa
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 5686 days ago

980 posts - 1006 votes 
Speaks: French*, Dutch, German

Message 3 of 3
22 March 2009 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
Beste Ron,

Hartstikke bedankt voor jouw heel interessante antwoord op mijn vraag!!!! de website is fantastisch en ik heb al veel ervan doorgelezen.

Wat leuk dat Limburgs wel de twee verschillende tonen gebruikt: dat had ik niet kunnen voorstellen of niet eens geloven, maar nu wel. Zijn er misschien opnames daarvan, waarin mensen hetzelfde woord zeggen met de twee tonen en dus betekenissen? dat zou ik graag willen beluisteren.

Hoe grappig dat de Waalse Regering de eerste was om Limburgs als taal aan te kennen!! LOL! dat is zo vreemd, als je denkt dat de Vlamingen dat niet accepteren of willen, en de tall wordt bij hun gesproken (ook in NL en D natuurlijk). De dialekte van Limburgs op Duits grondgebiet -worden ze als taal of dialekt gezien, en wanneer als dialekt, van Duits neem ik aan, of niet?

Spreek jij Limburgs? ik zie dat je in Groot-Brittannië woont maar Nederlands als moedertaal hebt. Ik kan het waals niet spreken, maar wel verstaan.

Met vriendelijke groeten

Jar-Ptitsa (mijn echte naam is Pauline)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version