Norway
Joined 5609 days ago

56 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: French

Message 138 of 164
01 April 2009 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Goindol wrote:
Cainntear, your position goes something like this: "If an experiment isn't rigourous enough to meet criteria for scientific publication, then it is completely unusable."

That depends what you want to use it FOR. If the starting parameters and success criteria are too vague AND the sample size is too small, then I'm sure most people will agree that the test can't be used to prove whether a particular method works or not. I think that's what Cainntear is saying, and I agree. Of course, that doesn't stop anyone from trying out the method if they want to. It only means that this proposed test will prove exactly nothing.

Edited by .automne on 01 April 2009 at 8:31pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5792 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 139 of 164
01 April 2009 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
Goindol wrote:
Cainntear, your position goes something like this: "If an experiment isn't rigourous enough to meet criteria for scientific publication, then it is completely unusable."

I just thought I'd point out your intellectual dishonesty for the onlookers.

Well, yes, more or less; and I can't see anything dishonest about that.

But if you continue to respond to my posts by slagging me off I will raise this with the forum administrators.

Best of luck with your studies of Hungarian -- I hope you find it a rewarding experience.

Goindol
United States
Joined 5855 days ago

165 posts - 203 votes 

Message 140 of 164
01 April 2009 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
.automne, you're right that it depends on what you're looking for. Is what we're looking for on this forum incontrovertible proof, or evidence to build upon? Someone once facetiously said that the plural of anecdotes is data. :)

Cainntear, I'm not sure why you're accusing me of attacking you. I did criticise your position as essentially dishonest, but that is different from a personal attack. If I called you a cowardly git who has channeled his energy into absolutely useless posts (over 900 of them in less than a year!) but refuses to engage in doing something constructive, that would be a personal attack. But I would never do that. ;)

Also puzzling is your insistence on control groups. As far as I'm concerned, the object of this experiment would be to determine how far I can get in a 3 week period, not to determine whether it is better than some other method.

By the way, I hope you never have to go to a doctor, because the vast majority of medical practice isn't evidence-based medicine. I'm afraid that much of medicine falls far short of your stringent criteria and is therefore completely useless.

And I'm not set on Hungarian. I said any language is acceptable.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Goindol
United States
Joined 5855 days ago

165 posts - 203 votes 

Message 142 of 164
01 April 2009 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear, you edited much of your post, but please do note that I don't respond to threats. You're free to notify whomever you like.
2 persons have voted this message useful

icing_death
United States
Joined 5642 days ago

296 posts - 302 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 143 of 164
01 April 2009 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
Goindol wrote:
Cainntear, you edited much of your post, but please do note that I don't respond to threats. You're free to notify whomever you like.

Did you choose a language yet? I'd be glad to help write the parameters.

Goindol
United States
Joined 5855 days ago

165 posts - 203 votes 

Message 144 of 164
01 April 2009 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
I think experiment is a loaded word. Maybe tinkering is more apt. aYa, you're right that it's more art than science. For me, it's like a few people tinkering in a workshop or a kitchen -- trying a little of this or that, and seeing what happens.

icing_death, I'm trying to obtain material I can use in any language.

This discussion contains 164 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version