linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5792 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 42 of 164
26 March 2009 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
Jimmymac wrote:
EXPERIMENT FOR YOURSELF. Why do you need us (or science) to hold you hand? Be bold; make your own tracks. We may be standing on the shoulders of giants but that doesn't mean we shouldn't rely on our own creative ability.

Experiment for myself?!? Suddenly I'm off the giant's shoulders and just trying to get a hand up on his big toe. You've brought me right back down to ground level -- suddenly there's no method and no technique. You're all doing different things and calling them the same thing, and if anyone objects it's invalid because we haven't tried it. And you won't tell us what to try.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to start a new experiment as that wouldn't prove anything -- experiments are all about repeatability, and you've given me nothing to repeat.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jimmymac
United Kingdom
strange-lands.com/le
Joined 5934 days ago

276 posts - 362 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, French

Message 43 of 164
26 March 2009 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Jimmymac wrote:
EXPERIMENT FOR YOURSELF. Why do you need us (or science) to hold you hand? Be bold; make your own tracks. We may be standing on the shoulders of giants but that doesn't mean we shouldn't rely on our own creative ability.

Experiment for myself?!? Suddenly I'm off the giant's shoulders and just trying to get a hand up on his big toe. You've brought me right back down to ground level -- suddenly there's no method and no technique. You're all doing different things and calling them the same thing, and if anyone objects it's invalid because we haven't tried it. And you won't tell us what to try..

Can't you stay on the giants shoulders and make finer refinements that suit your own preferences? The L-R 'creator' has offered the framework they find useful. Can't you work within that to see what works for you or are you completely dependent on the thoughts of others in your own decision making process?

Cainntear wrote:

Anyway, I wouldn't want to start a new experiment as that wouldn't prove anything -- experiments are all about repeatability, and you've given me nothing to repeat.

I thought it was obvious that I wasn't using the word 'experiment' in the scientific sense. Evidently I was wrong.

Edited by Jimmymac on 26 March 2009 at 6:07pm

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 44 of 164
26 March 2009 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
aYa wrote:
I often think that the whole L-R thing is a practical joke of atamagaii's. She's been known for pulling people's legs. On the other hand, she's posted so many parallel texts. Why on earth did she do it, I wonder. I'm really in a fix.

Clearly, the unicorns gave them to her. Why did they do that, I wonder?

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 45 of 164
26 March 2009 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

And finally -- you guys don't agree on what you do. The original require two texts (L1 and L2) and an audio(L2), whereas Volte talks about just L1 text and L2 audio. Nobody can agree on the necessary length of text and some people think both literal and idiomatic L1 translations are required, whereas others think only the idiomatic translation is required.

I'm not getting into a discussion with you, but for the sake of your discussions with others, I would prefer that you not mis-represent me. While something like L-R can be done without a parallel text (see FSI's post) and I mention it as a possibility, it works much better with parallel texts. I have done most of my experimentation with parallel texts, and I advocate using parallel texts. If I didn't think they were important, I wouldn't have invested a few dozen hours making them recently (as I mentioned earlier in this thread).

Everyone who it's worked for agrees on the length of the text: long. No one has had success with, say, a total of 7 hours of audio, much less two, as far as I know. Consensus seems to be around the 20-40 hour length (of audio, not of total time invested), although this can be spread across multiple books.

There is disagreement about literal translations, but only for distant languages; for close ones (such as your second Romance or Slavic language), everyone agrees they are not needed.

Edit: also, no one has claimed literal translations hurt. So, there are two perfectly valid alternatives for anyone who wants to avoid bringing the disagreement into play: go for a closely related language, or use literal translations (whether for a close or far language). Hence, non-issue.

Edited by Volte on 26 March 2009 at 6:25pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6690 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 46 of 164
27 March 2009 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
Jimmymac wrote:
We are talking reading a book where all you will lose are a couple of hours; you are comparing it to losing your life.

This I like. I think it was said in the original thread that "most people" won't even try the method even if 50+ (intensive) hours is all it takes. So, it's easy to say it couldn't work because they will never try it. My main problem is finding interesting content for my language combinations.

icing_death
United States
Joined 5642 days ago

296 posts - 302 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 47 of 164
27 March 2009 at 5:43am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Consensus seems to be around the 20-40 hour length

So do this for a minimum of 60 (20 X 3 = 60) hours and you will see an improvement of the magnitude you and a few others have documented, but not as much as furio? I believe you. I don't believe it will be more effective than other methods for that period of time, but I'm sure you will notice improvement. If you enjoy it, why not go for it?

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 48 of 164
27 March 2009 at 5:58am | IP Logged 
icing_death wrote:
Volte wrote:
Consensus seems to be around the 20-40 hour length

So do this for a minimum of 60 (20 X 3 = 60) hours and you will see an improvement of the magnitude you and a few others have documented, but not as much as furio? I believe you. I don't believe it will be more effective than other methods for that period of time, but I'm sure you will notice improvement. If you enjoy it, why not go for it?

Who or what is furio?

And yes, it -is- that much more effective than other methods for that period of time; I went from zero knowledge of Slavic languages to having a reading knowledge of Polish sufficient to get the gist of atamagaii's "the gist" document on L-R, use phonetics materials in it without much problem, etc. Time invested - around 60 hours, give or take a couple dozen...

I didn't bother with active use, and I didn't do the Polish L-R time intensively (and I find that, the more intensively I do L-R, the better the results, by far), but even so...

This discussion contains 164 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version