267 posts - 349 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, EnglishC1, Danish
Studies: Spanish, Dutch

Message 66 of 164
27 March 2009 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
Jimmymac wrote:
I would like to point out that not one person has called L-R
'revolutionary' nor have they claimed that it is the only method they would ever use.
Having said that I enjoyed your post.

You're right, of course, it hasn't been mentioned here in this thread. It's only something that is stuck in my brain from other old threads :-) and it wasn't that mindful to write it now.
1 person has voted this message useful

Akipenda Lugha
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5497 days ago

78 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Swahili, Sign Language, Spanish

Message 67 of 164
27 March 2009 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
aYa wrote:

- using self explanatory texts.

What does this mean?

glossa.passion
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6080 days ago

267 posts - 349 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, EnglishC1, Danish
Studies: Spanish, Dutch

Message 69 of 164
27 March 2009 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
aYa wrote:
There are two new elements in L-R - the crucial ones:
- using long novels (parallel texts and audio) right from the start, even for zero beginners.

As early as 1920 were several novels as parallel texts published and even some selfstudy books from that time have used literature instead of constructed dialogs. One English-German novel had around 700 pages, sorry that I can't name it, I couldn't find it right away. But of course they lack the audio.

A few years ago a novel by Jules Verne has been published with parallel text and audio, but unfortunately it isn't available anymore.

In the 2005 published book "Fremdsprachen simultan lernen" (Learn foreign languages simultaneously) describes Martin Krause listening and reading of novels, but he left out the parallel text, so it was only listening target language while reading native language.

The use of self explanatory texts is also recommended in 1905 by Prof. Teichmann and I find it highly enjoyable! In fact I've done and do it with Hermann Hesse's "Narziss und Goldmund" which is in a lot of languages available. But first I prefer to read crime novels this way, because they use a much easier language.

I didn't intend to criticise the posts of L-R or their author(s), but merely note that it's not something new, at least to me.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6198 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 70 of 164
27 March 2009 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
glossa.passion wrote:
aYa wrote:
There are two new elements in L-R - the crucial ones:
- using long novels (parallel texts and audio) right from the start, even for zero beginners.

As early as 1920 were several novels as parallel texts published and even some selfstudy books from that time have used literature instead of constructed dialogs. One English-German novel had around 700 pages, sorry that I can't name it, I couldn't find it right away. But of course they lack the audio.

A few years ago a novel by Jules Verne has been published with parallel text and audio, but unfortunately it isn't available anymore.

In the 2005 published book "Fremdsprachen simultan lernen" (Learn foreign languages simultaneously) describes Martin Krause listening and reading of novels, but he left out the parallel text, so it was only listening target language while reading native language.

The use of self explanatory texts is also recommended in 1905 by Prof. Teichmann and I find it highly enjoyable! In fact I've done and do it with Hermann Hesse's "Narziss und Goldmund" which is in a lot of languages available. But first I prefer to read crime novels this way, because they use a much easier language.

I didn't intend to criticise the posts of L-R or their author(s), but merely note that it's not something new, at least to me.

What's new, to the best of my knowledge, is starting, from nothing, with parallel literature with audio. Components of it are older; the combination isn't.

Atamagaii (the person I would call the creator of L-R) has openly acknowledged most/all of your points before, on this forum.

I hadn't heard of Prof. Teichmann; I should look into what he wrote. Thanks for the pointer.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Bob Greaves
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6438 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 72 of 164
27 March 2009 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
I am sorry to make this this thread even longer without adding anything significant. I would like to remind all that this forum is called, and I assume meant to be about, How to Learn Any Language. It's not about how to display one's erudition, nor is it about how to slag off systems/methods that one doesn't like or hasn't tried.
Instead let's say thanks to aYa and those that genuinely try to help.
If you don't like L-R to just leave it there and move on (unless there is really something helpful to contribute).

Edited by Bob Greaves on 27 March 2009 at 7:39pm

This discussion contains 164 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version