Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6752 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Mandarin, Cantonese*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 13
24 October 2005 at 3:40am | IP Logged 
I want to improve my spoken English and I prefer British English but I found even reporters from BBC have big difference in their accents. I'm looking for a rule model of spoken British English which is considered as formal MODERN British English. I prefer sources like documentary series in DVD except those about Science. Any input would be helpful, thanks.

PS: I'm not seeking the ultimate English accent. I just want to improve my spoken English towards the style I like. It's diffcult for members here to give me specific suggestion because I can't provide any sample of the accent I like.
1 person has voted this message useful

mfhboy
Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6752 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 2 of 13
24 October 2005 at 4:41am | IP Logged 
FYI, I have better understanding and command to spoken/written English used in news reports/newspapers rather than movies/forums. I do want to be able to understand and exchange with native speakers in their local Language but I have to take it step by step.I have needs to improve my spoken English for formal situations and this will be the starting point.

cbashara
United States
adventuresinspanish.
Joined 6910 days ago

186 posts - 188 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 13
24 October 2005 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
Watch "The Story of English". It's a nine-part mini series by PBS and Robert MacNeil is the narrator. Great series to hear all sorts of varieties of English and learn a little about the language. MacNeil himself is from Canada, but there is one episode that deals specifically with BBC English. Maybe you could find some good sources. That's about all the help I can offer as I am an American! Good luck!

Chandra

mfhboy
Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6752 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 4 of 13
25 October 2005 at 1:50am | IP Logged 
Thanks cbashara! I will check it out~

LandTortoise
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5002 days ago

10 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Welsh

Message 5 of 13
10 August 2010 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
Sorry to disapoint but there really is no one standard spoken form of British English. I would say your quest is, like that of the Holy Grail, illusory.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5101 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 6 of 13
10 August 2010 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
mfhboy wrote:
I'm looking for a rule model of spoken British English which is considered as formal MODERN British English.

I believe the English pronunciation that you're looking for is called Received Pronunciation AKA Queen's English or BBC English.

Edited by Doitsujin on 10 August 2010 at 4:59pm

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5792 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 7 of 13
10 August 2010 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
mfhboy wrote:
I want to improve my spoken English and I prefer British English but I found even reporters from BBC have big difference in their accents. I'm looking for a rule model of spoken British English which is considered as formal MODERN British English. I prefer sources like documentary series in DVD except those about Science. Any input would be helpful, thanks.

PS: I'm not seeking the ultimate English accent. I just want to improve my spoken English towards the style I like. It's diffcult for members here to give me specific suggestion because I can't provide any sample of the accent I like.

You have been listening to news and documentaries, and they all sound slightly different. This should be enough to prove that what you are looking for does not exist. If you hear an accent you like, try to get more by the same person, and feel free to come back to us and ask "Who else speaks like <name>?"

PaulLambeth
United Kingdom
Joined 5154 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 8 of 13
11 August 2010 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
mfhboy wrote:
I'm looking for a rule model of spoken British English which is considered as formal MODERN British English.

I believe the English pronunciation that you're looking for is called Received Pronunciation AKA Queen's English or BBC English.

I agree that this is probably what you're looking for, but honestly, please do not learn to speak with a Queen's English accent if your goal is to speak to regular in social circles. It's generally seen as an accent that older people and the highest "classes" have.

This is not being disrespectful to those who do have that accent, but be aware that it's not at all common anymore. As for a common accent, just try to mimick those on any British news program. I would call a southern English accent more neutral but other accents more trustable. Either way you've got something desired.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version