United States
Joined 5974 days ago

24 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog, German, Italian, French

Message 9 of 28
26 April 2009 at 6:12am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
If this was an ergative language I would have expected it to be the same verb, at most with a marker of some kind.

I'm not up on the technical details but this is what I know:
The root word is "kain." The dictionary is organized by roots.
The affixes -um- and -in- (among others) denote what is the main focus of the sentence.
If the actor is the main focus then the verb is "kumain." If the object is in focus then the verb is "kinain."
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6490 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 28
26 April 2009 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
If there is a series af root words, that can be transformed into either 'active' or 'passive' verbal forms (with subject resp. object in focus), then it is logical to see Tagalog as a truly ergative language. My problem is that I can't see that in my dictionaries (2 different dictionaries English<->Tagalog by M.O.de Guzman, one Italian<->tagalog from Avallardi). The verb 'kumain' (to eat) is there, but not 'kinain'. However that is logical if you can transform any -um- into an -in (provided that it can have a logical object, i.e. is transitive).

All this would be much clearer if the dictionaries indicated whether the transformation was possible or not, and hopefully better dictionaries carry this vital piece of information - I did see one big large dictionary in the bookstores in Manila and it wasn't even too expensive,- but I simply couldn't find room for it in my only piece of luggege.

GibberMeister
Bilingual Pentaglot
Groupie
Scotland
Joined 5595 days ago

61 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Catalan, Lowland Scots*, English*, Portuguese

Message 11 of 28
27 April 2009 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
You know something Iversen? I think you have lifted a veil from my eyes here. Those simple references to what may or may not be ergativity in English and French have made me understand the whole thing I think.
Spanish and Catalan too. My Basque is very basic, but I think I can progress now.

Ergative languages then simply 'mark' the subjects and objects ina a certain way, often with different words altogetehr, though Indo European languages, despite displaying occasional ergativity, simply don't mark it.

(As for Basque passives - I have no idea yet!)

Again, thank you for the enlightenment thou hast provided me with!

LpMagilicutty
United States
Joined 5974 days ago

24 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog, German, Italian, French

Message 12 of 28
27 April 2009 at 7:11am | IP Logged 
If I may, I join in thanks, Iverson.
I was looking at Wikipedia on ergative languages. They suggest that while Tagalog is often classified as such, perhaps it needs it's own classification, namely, "Austronesian alignment."
Kinain is kainin conjugated to "past tense." So the dictionary would only list kainin. (Kumain is past tense of kumain. The difference in spelling has been dropped over the centuries.)
This is a great online dictionary:
tagalog-dictionary com

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6490 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 28
29 April 2009 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
Since writing the text above I have found a good online Tagalog grammar, and I now know the mechanisms that can transform a verb root into 'active' and 'passive' verbal forms (see my multiconfused log for more details). This - in combination with the fact that the topicalizer 'ang' plus an uninflected noun can be either subject or object makes me say that Tagalog probably could be seen as an ergative language, but also that the practical benefit of doing it seems more and more doubtful. After all the concept of ergative in the classical formulation presupposes that any language has cases (through they may have coalesced into just one case), and Tagalog doesn't really lend itself to this Latin-inspired analysis. The core notion in Tagalog is apparently focus, in combination with a number of markers some of which are integrated into the verb. Speaking about cases here just muddles our perception of the language.

Btw. it also seems to be a silly reminiscence from the Spanish time that verbs are listed under the infinitive forms in all of my dictionaries. The logical thing would be to list them under the root form and then point out which affixes are relevant for each verb.

I'm sorry that I haven't had time to study Basque yet, so my comments to that language can't be very relevant.

Edited by Iversen on 29 April 2009 at 2:15am

izan
Bilingual Tetraglot
Spain
letmewritealittlebit
Joined 5656 days ago

20 posts - 34 votes
1 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Basque*, EnglishC1, FrenchC1
Studies: German

Message 14 of 28
30 April 2009 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
But I think that the real test would be to find a sentence with the same verb(s) in an intransitive setting, i.e. without Martin (or 'you'), but leaving the newspapers in the sentence - something like "The newspapers are-being-bought". Would the newspapers then also be in the ergative case? And how would the verbal syntagm change - is there such a thing as a distinctive passive form in Basque?

PASSIVE:
Egunkariak erosiak izan dira = The newspapers have been bought.
Egunkaria erosia izan da= The newspaper has been bought.
Egunkariak Martinek erosiak izan dira= The newspapers have been bought by Martin.
Egunkariak umeak erosiak izan dira= The newspapers have been bought by the kid.
Egunkariak umeek erosiak izan dira= The newspapers have been bought by the kids.

ACTIVE:
Umeak egunkaria erosi du= The kid has bought the newspaper.
Umeak egunkariak erosi ditu= The kid has bought the newspapers.
Umeek egunkaria erosi dute= The kids have bought the newspaper.
Umeek egunkariak erosi dituzte= The kids have bought the newspapers.

I never thought about it before, but I've realised that I rarely use the passive voice when speaking Basque. If it is possible to use both to say the same thing, the active voice seems more natural to me.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6490 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 28
30 April 2009 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
So in both cases Basque uses "egunkaria" ("egunkariak" in plural), i.e. the same word and presumably the same case. And therefore Basque is ergative.

eskandar
Triglot
United States
brownfolks.blogspot.
Joined 5558 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Persian
Studies: Azerbaijani, Urdu, Arabic (classical), Arabic (Written)

Message 16 of 28
05 May 2009 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
GibberMeister wrote:
It all began with Basque, but I've read that the Kartvelian languages and ancient Hurrian display ergativity and this is also reflected in their influence on Kurdish.

Ancient Hurrian is completely unrelated to Kurdish and died out before Kurdish even existed as a language. Cherokee, Chinese, and Martian have likely had more influence on Kurdish than Hurrian. The same goes for the Kartvelian languages, which are also completely unrelated to Kurdish and have had very little contact (let alone influence) with Kurdish. Instead, Kurdish has inherited ergativity from its Indo-Iranian roots; other Indo-Iranian languages such as Pashto, Baluchi, and Hindi-Urdu share this feature.

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version