Groupie
IndonesiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5425 days ago

60 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Indonesian

Message 25 of 28
24 June 2009 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
Well, I am glad charlmartell won't be reading this.

Anyway, for the benefit of any readers who might actually have brain-cells in the double digits or more, I should perhaps point out that the sentence quoted was (quite obviously) not intended as an example of an ergative construction, but rather as evidence of some similarity of the grammatical rôle of the subject of arrive and the object of purchase....
1 person has voted this message useful

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6676 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 28
30 June 2009 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
RBenham wrote:
On a terminological issue, I really don't think that English examples like "Thou shalt not kill" really represent intransitive uses of transitive verbs; rather the object is not expressed.

In that case it should be possible to tell what the specific unexpressed object is, in the phrase "Thou shalt not kill".

Edited by Hencke on 30 June 2009 at 9:50am

RBenham
Triglot
Groupie
IndonesiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5425 days ago

60 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Indonesian

Message 27 of 28
02 July 2009 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
Hencke wrote:
RBenham wrote:
On a terminological issue, I really don't think that English examples like "Thou shalt not kill" really represent intransitive uses of transitive verbs; rather the object is not expressed.

In that case it should be possible to tell what the specific unexpressed object is, in the phrase "Thou shalt not kill".

I am not sure why you need to be able to tell what the object is, although it should be clear in actual use:

Thou shalt not kill [anybody].
Declarer played out the Ace, and when the King fell, he laid down [his cards].
Etc.

What is important is that it is always implied that there is an object. Killing is not something you can ever do without something or someone's being killed....

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6676 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 28 of 28
02 July 2009 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
RBenham wrote:
What is important is that it is always implied that there is an object. Killing is not something you can ever do without something or someone's being killed....

To my way of thinking that is a chain of deductions based on knowledge about the real-world concept that the verb "kill" represents. However from the grammar point of view the real-world concept does not necessarily matter. Grammar is not concerned with reality directly, only with the mechanics of how words are put together to describe reality.

An activity takes place, no object is anywhere in sight as a possible "receiver" of the action. The mechanics of the grammar is put together in the same way as any other intransitive case.

I managed to dig up a couple of references: Interestingly it turns out there is some special terminology already in use for these cases, such as in this thread on the subject of the verb "discuss":
Quote:
But still in certain constructions you can use "discuss" as if it were intransitive. (EX) "In the course we learned how to discuss in English". When an obligatorily transitive verb is used this way, it is called "an absolute verb". Mirriam-Webster Online Dictionary explains it as follows in the entry of "absolute".

"absolute" - of a verb : having no object in the particular construction under consideration though normally transitive. <Kill> in "if looks could kill" is an absolute verb.

I am not so sure if it actually serves any purpose to have separate terminology for these "absolute" cases. Why such a desperate need to classify each verb as either "transitive" or "intransitive", and have it stay put in its own little box forever, when in actual fact, it is more helpful to look at how it is used in each case.

And this page talks directly of transitive and intransitive usage of the same verb, though judging by the style it's more of a quick-guide type of page and not necessarily authoritative:
Quote:
Many verbs are transitive in some uses and intransitive in others. If you are not sure whether a verb you are using may be may be transitive and intransitive, consult a dictionary.

Intransitive Usage - The student guessed correctly.

Transitive Usage - The student guessed the answer correctly.

Another page here.

Edited by Hencke on 03 July 2009 at 1:48am

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version