Language Learning Forum : Lessons in Polyglottery Post Reply
48 messages over 6 pages: 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 48
23 April 2009 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
I don't have nearly as severe sleep problems as the preceding posters, but if left to myself I would probably push my sleep periode something like 1 hour ahead daily, - i.e. I'm probably born with a 25 hour daytime rhythm. But I have to get up at approximately the same time every day. What happens is that I make up for it by getting sleepy when my sleep time gets too short, and then I sleep early or (if possible) take a nap, which puts things back in order. I suppose that people like me generally are the ones that are sleepy in the morning, and we wouldn't benefit from trying to study just after we wake up. My best working time is in the evening.
1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 48
23 April 2009 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
I would never get the idea to manipulate my sleeping habits for study reasons. It is a health question, which day structure I use. Into the chosen day structure I have to fit my pieces of study-time. Not the other way round. I know that late in the evening I cannot perform so well, so my studying is normally finished at 8:00 p.m. If it's convenient to me, I am also able to study early in the morning. Anyway, my language studies have to fit in, so prefer staying flexible when to study.

Fasulye-Babylonia

Sgt.Pepper
Ukraine
Joined 5490 days ago

38 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: Ukrainian*

Message 19 of 48
23 April 2009 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
-

Edited by Sgt.Pepper on 16 March 2010 at 3:16am

qklilx
United States
Joined 5967 days ago

459 posts - 477 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 48
24 April 2009 at 3:20am | IP Logged 
If you are a fortunate enough soul to work from home or be a house husband or anything which otherwise grants you an absurd amount of free time and/or flexible schedule you might consider polyphasic sleep. It'll greatly increase the number of hours of study you can fit into a day, and it would be interesting to see if one could easily learn a language this way. More hours, but less sleep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep

If you look around Google you can find several blog reports of people trying this method for as long as several months and documenting what they do with their time, how they feel, and so on. I am particularly interested in Uberman as it seems most efficient with the greater number of nap increments.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 21 of 48
24 April 2009 at 3:35am | IP Logged 
qklilx wrote:
If you are a fortunate enough soul to work from home or be a house husband or anything which otherwise grants you an absurd amount of free time and/or flexible schedule you might consider polyphasic sleep. It'll greatly increase the number of hours of study you can fit into a day, and it would be interesting to see if one could easily learn a language this way. More hours, but less sleep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep

If you look around Google you can find several blog reports of people trying this method for as long as several months and documenting what they do with their time, how they feel, and so on. I am particularly interested in Uberman as it seems most efficient with the greater number of nap increments.

I've repeatedly tried to experiment with polyphasic sleep. Some people report quite interesting results with it. I first heard about it from a TV documentary about an artist who was doing it (under laboratory conditions; the researchers were looking into the effects. For what it's worth, the effects were quite positive: his scores on the cognition-related tests they were giving him improved).

My personal results have been the opposite: I've always found the transition period far too 'heavy' to get through. Being so tired I literally cannot read is unpleasant, as is the feeling of physical discomfort which accompanies sleep deprivation - I'm understating it significantly, really. Sleep deprivation is the single worst thing I know of for concentration, personally; mere migraines don't compare.

There are some definite advantages: aside from time, there can also be a fairly extreme mental clarity (when exhaustion isn't causing the exact opposite effect), and very vivid dreams. Energy levels, mental clarity, etc vary drastically from one waking-period to the next during adaption, in ways which seem quite unpredictable.

If anyone does decide to try it, I strongly recommend having set out at least a week for an adaption period, where you fully expect to get very little mentally or physically intensive work done. I've heard about people doing things like cooking a lot of really preparation-intensive food to get through this time - you'll need something which keeps you up and awake, but isn't difficult. Don't even think of driving during the first few days. Also, don't even dream of oversleeping during the initial adaption; it's a great way to have to repeat all the unpleasant parts.

Most people who try polyphasic fail quite badly at it; many have blogged about it. Some people seem to simply not adapt - I've read about one guy who gave up trying after a month, because his focus simply wasn't sufficient to do mathematical research on polyphasic; I don't know how strictly he adhered to a schedule.

Post-adaption, the worst part of the 6-nap schedules is the social limitations. Not being able to go more than 6-7 hours without sleeping (and even that is pushing it quite a lot) is very inconvenient. Schedules like 'everyman', which involve less naps, at least one of which is longer, help somewhat.

If you try it, try it cautiously, with at least a week set aside where you won't have conflicting or serious obligations.

Edited by Volte on 24 April 2009 at 3:45am

Sgt.Pepper
Ukraine
Joined 5490 days ago

38 posts - 32 votes

Message 22 of 48
28 April 2009 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
-

Sgt.Pepper
Ukraine
Joined 5490 days ago

38 posts - 32 votes

Message 23 of 48
28 April 2009 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
-

Dark_Sunshine
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5546 days ago

340 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 24 of 48
29 April 2009 at 4:03am | IP Logged 
This might be slightly off topic, but I'm interested in your 'sleep disorder'. Have you been diagnosed? It's just that from looking at your sleep diary, I think I have very similar sleep patterns- the ability to sleep solidly for well over 13 hours, and staying up very late sometimes (I'm writing this at 3am local time). I also have other sleep-related symptoms like lucid dreaming, and a weird sleep paralysis where I 'wake up' mentally, but I'm unable to move a single muscle or open my eyes, even though I'm aware of my surroundings and the fact that the alarm is going off. I've never been in a sleep lab, but I know that I go into REM sleep very quickly- I fell asleep on the sofa at a friend's house once and he said that he could see my eyeballs moving extremely fast and my eyes were partially open, as if I was trying to wake myself up. -Sounds like Linda Blair in the Exorcist! Anyway... I probably should have put this in a PM. Hope the studying is going well.

Edited by Dark_Sunshine on 29 April 2009 at 4:04am

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version