Joined 6232 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 33 of 70
15 April 2009 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
sprachefin wrote:
I do not think that anyone should be satisfied with JUST ENOUGH for basic fluency. I think everyone should
continue learning until they cannot find anymore to learn. If you are going to learn a language, do not be lazy and
do not be satisfied with BASIC fluency. To whole point of learning a language is to SPEAK the language, which
essentially says native fluency.

Aren't these valid goals? It's a hobby, after all, and would you suggest that all painters should aim for photorealism? Some people like painting abstract or impressionist paintings after all....

I certainly see your point, but I'm not sure I'd equate broken English / German / whatever with abstract / impressionist art. ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

Jar-ptitsa
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 5684 days ago

980 posts - 1006 votes 
Speaks: French*, Dutch, German

Message 34 of 70
15 April 2009 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
sprachefin wrote:
I do not think that anyone should be satisfied with JUST ENOUGH for basic fluency. I think everyone should
continue learning until they cannot find anymore to learn. If you are going to learn a language, do not be lazy and
do not be satisfied with BASIC fluency. To whole point of learning a language is to SPEAK the language, which
essentially says native fluency. So if you aren't going to learn more than 5.000 words, then don't learn the
language.

with BASIC fluency you can speak the language, no? I've not any idea at all if I know 5.000 words or 50.000 or 500.000 of a language, but I know how much can I undertsnad of the written or spoken language and if I can write or tell the things which I want. I think that I'm incapable of native fluency in more of the languages but I'm satisfied wiht basic fluency (intermediate isn't sufficient in my opinion).

Whiskeyjack
Canada
Joined 5518 days ago

36 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish, Spanish, Russian

Message 35 of 70
15 April 2009 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
for me 5,000 words with the right amount of grammer(ALOT) :), then i will slowly begin to switch my studies from Finnish to Russian... After of course a proper test of my skills

Edited by Whiskeyjack on 15 April 2009 at 7:11pm

sprachefin
Triglot
Germany
Joined 5532 days ago

300 posts - 317 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Spanish
Studies: French, Turkish, Mandarin, Bulgarian, Persian, Dutch

Message 36 of 70
15 April 2009 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
The point I was trying to make was to try and learn as many as you can. If you have an SRS program that shows you
your progress, and you have learned about 6,000 or 7,000 words, but you still are able to communicate your
thoughts and ideas, then I guess you're fine. If you cannot perfectly understand and speak with a native speaker,
then I think more vocabulary must be obtained. And yes, not knowing one particular word counts as needing more
vocabulary. I don't know about you all, but if I'm going to speak a language, I want to know it perfectly. Some
native speakers require perfection. Germans or French anyone?

Jar-ptitsa
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 5684 days ago

980 posts - 1006 votes 
Speaks: French*, Dutch, German

Message 37 of 70
15 April 2009 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
sprachefin wrote:
The point I was trying to make was to try and learn as many as you can. If you have an SRS program that shows you
your progress, and you have learned about 6,000 or 7,000 words, but you still are able to communicate your
thoughts and ideas, then I guess you're fine. If you cannot perfectly understand and speak with a native speaker,
then I think more vocabulary must be obtained. And yes, not knowing one particular word counts as needing more
vocabulary.

I havne't an SRS program or other which shows me my progress or number of words. Truly, I don't care how many words.

Quote:
I don't know about you all, but if I'm going to speak a language, I want to know it perfectly. Some
native speakers require perfection. Germans or French anyone?

The native speakers who require perfection must shut up.

Last week I met a Spanish lady and she was very nice, not critical of my Spanish at all. When i've met some English people also, and when I've learned German from German-speakers.

when I was younger (about 10 years or 12) I was perfectionnist but now I'm not although soemtimes I'm but I try to not be because it's not good. For sure I don't require perfection of the others.

I think that if a person is happy with the level of his/her foreign language it's ok. For me, this level is basic fluency (or higher). For others it's native fluency or intermediate, or maybe some words and phrases (elementary). It depend of the individual and judge the others is nasty and not correct because probably they've other requirments.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5633 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 38 of 70
15 April 2009 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
sprachefin wrote:
I don't know about you all, but if I'm going to speak a language, I want to know it perfectly. Some native speakers require perfection. Germans or French anyone?

I would rather set myself language targets than expect any levels of other people. Perfection itself is contradictous. ("Nobody is perfect!") But lets make it more realistic and say aquiring a native level in a foreign language. This is possible to achieve, but it requires favourable circumstances such as: living in the foreign country, extensive travels or native speaker contacts, working in the foreign language, special language talent...

Fasulye-Babylonia

Edited by Fasulye on 15 April 2009 at 11:15pm

leonidus
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6112 days ago

113 posts - 123 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, French
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 39 of 70
15 April 2009 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
Jar-ptitsa wrote:

Often these are the types that don't speak any other language and have no clue what it takes to learn one halfway perfect. So yeah, basically I agree. But then, if they don't have to talk to you, and if it's you who is more interested in their help, than they being interested in talking to you, then I guess you have to live by their rules. No choice.

guilon
Pentaglot
Spain
Joined 5978 days ago

226 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, PortugueseC2, FrenchC2, Italian, English

Message 40 of 70
16 April 2009 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
leonidus wrote:
Jar-ptitsa wrote:

Often these are the types that don't speak any other language and have no clue what it takes to learn one
halfway perfect. So yeah, basically I agree. But then, if they don't have to talk to you, and if it's you who is more
interested in their help, than they being interested in talking to you, then I guess you have to live by their rules.
No choice.

Even if you are not a monolingual, dealing with someone who doesn't know well your native language and uses a
broken speech may end up being a tiresome or irritating experience, and it only gets aggravated by their claims
that they can "speak" the language.

This discussion contains 70 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version