Diglot
United States
LanguaFlash.com
Joined 5441 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*, Swahili

Message 65 of 70
07 May 2009 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
Every language is different. Some languages use a much broader vocabulary than others. My flash card program (www.LanguaFlash.com) told me that I had around a 1300 word vocabulary when I stopped active study. I was immersed in the language for another three months after my study time was over and I can now do about anything with relative ease. I doubt that I have more than 1500 words but it is hard to tell.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 66 of 70
07 May 2009 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
A question to Languaflash (or another Flashcard program user): When you write that your flash card program informs you that you know 1300 words, what does it then mean? Is it an estimate for the whole language or is it just the number of words that you have on your lists (minus those that the program deems that you haven't learnt yet)? Even 1.500 words seem quite low, considering that you say that you can do just about everything.

Edited by Iversen on 08 May 2009 at 3:42pm

Javi
Spain
Joined 5740 days ago

419 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 68 of 70
08 May 2009 at 12:28pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
A quetion to Languaflash (or another Flashcard program user): When you write that your flash card program informs you that you know 1300 words, what does it then mean? Is it an estimate for the whole language or is it just the number of words that you have on your lists (minus those that the program deems that you haven't learnt yet)? Even 1.500 words seem quite low, considering that you say that you can do just about everything.

It is the number of items you've got, which unless you use a flashcard per word, it will be different from the number of words. In my case I can count the number of unique words and expressions, because I mark them, but again that's different from the actual number of single words.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 69 of 70
08 May 2009 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
So words that you learn without the help of the program and words that are regular derivations of your registrered words aren't included in the number quoted?

Javi
Spain
Joined 5740 days ago

419 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 70 of 70
08 May 2009 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
So words that you learn without the help of the program and words that are regular derivations of your registrered words aren't included in the number quoted?

No, I don't think they are included, but I only know a few SRS programs. The first point would be impossible obviously, but for the latter I guess it depends on the program and the way you make the flashcards. In many cases it might be possible the use of external tools to make the statistics. For example, in Mnemosyne you can export the database to a single plain text file which is very easy to analyse.

This discussion contains 70 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version