United States
thelinguistblogger.w
Joined 6060 days ago

198 posts - 299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (classical)

Message 57 of 87
13 April 2009 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
Aren't we talking about the effectiveness of intensity? While this is not hard-core data, I think there is a reason why most of the world's top language schools mainly offer intense courses. Michel Thomas would teach for nine hours straight sometimes. I think that there is something very beneficial about going over the material and practicing it quickly enough so as not to forget it. You lose less time reviewing and can spend it practicing what you know or learning something new.

Those of you who prefer to spend fifteen minutes to half an hour a day studying are welcome to continue. If you are happy with that and don't want to change that's fine. I do think, however, that many people quit learning a language because they feel very little progress. A system that helps people progress will encourage students to use it more because progressing in a language is fun. Intensive study methods are often very conducive to this for most people.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5819 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 58 of 87
13 April 2009 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Cainntear wrote:

(Unless there's a strong correlation between learning styles and length of study sessions -- I haven't heard of any research that suggests this, but then I don't really follow that side of things.)

I strongly suspect there is, though I have no data to back this up which would satisfy you.

Well it wouldn't convince me -- as I've said before, I think much of learning styles is about coping with poor teaching, not about an effective way of learning, but that is of course just an opinion. At the very least, it would reduce it to "agree to disagree", as i know I'm not capable of convincing anyone that my opinion on learning styles is correct. If that's the best we can hope for, I'd have to find that satisfactory... ;-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Steve Kaufmann
Canada
thelinguist.blogs.co
Joined 5513 days ago

20 posts - 24 votes

Message 59 of 87
13 April 2009 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

I think much of learning styles is about coping with poor teaching, not about an effective way of learning, [/QUOTE]

Teaching may influence learning, but it is not a necessary part of learning, and this is particularly the case with language learning where the resources need to learn a language abound. The best way to deal with poor teaching is to cut out the teacher. in the first place. That said, a good teacher, in other words someone who can turn on the learner, is a valuable resource.

Learning can and usually does take place independently of the teacher.

icing_death
United States
Joined 5669 days ago

296 posts - 302 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 60 of 87
13 April 2009 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
Steve Kaufmann wrote:
The flash cards at LingQ are based on words and phrases that come from context the
learner has read and/or listened to.

Many people consider studying flashcards to be studying out of context. Most people who study lists and
flashcards have taken them from context, just like you. It's good to keep this in mind when you criticize studying
wordlists.

And some people who study words out of context by your definition, Iversen for example, do just fine. I think just
about everyone studies out of context. What we're really discussing is where to draw the line.

Steve Kaufmann
Canada
thelinguist.blogs.co
Joined 5513 days ago

20 posts - 24 votes

Message 61 of 87
13 April 2009 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
Many people study isolated lists of words in preparation for tests like TOEFL etc. Most of them do not get a very good return from this investment of time. That is what I was referring to by "studying words out of context" You chose to interpret this differently. Noted.

All lists and flashcards at LingQ have captured the phrase where the words occurred, and provide access to all examples from familiar contexts where this words occurs.

I believe it is difficult to learn words without having met them, and more than once, in meaningful contexts. I always advise learners that reviewing words only helps them to become more observant of the language, but it will not usually enable them to "learn" these words. That is why, at LingQ, we highlight all previously saved words in yellow in subsequent texts, to remind us that we have already started to try to learn these words, and for quick access to the ,often, already forgotten meaning.

There are obviously others, like Iversen, who have a different approach. Noted.
3 persons have voted this message useful

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6254 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 62 of 87
14 April 2009 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
icing_death wrote:
Steve Kaufmann wrote:
The flash cards at LingQ are based on words and phrases that come from context the
learner has read and/or listened to.

Many people consider studying flashcards to be studying out of context. Most people who study lists and
flashcards have taken them from context, just like you. It's good to keep this in mind when you criticize studying
wordlists.

And some people who study words out of context by your definition, Iversen for example, do just fine. I think just
about everyone studies out of context. What we're really discussing is where to draw the line.

I think that's a very good point. People who are against the use of word lists often talk about them as if there is no context provided, which usually isn't the case. Iversen often pulls the words he's learning straight from a dictionary, and at least with a dictionary worth anything, lots of context is given. In all of my good dictionaries, a topic will be marked with a symbol or abbreviation (healthcare, aviation, etc.); example phrases will be given (or sometimes, whole sentences). If a word has multiple meanings depending on the context, those meanings are given. Indeed, perhaps somewhat ironically, it could be argued that you can get more "context" for a word by looking at a quality dictionary entry than you can from reading one sentence with the word in it.

Furthermore, in regards to verbs, good dictionaries will indicate how to use them - whether it takes an accusative object, or is reflexive, or what have you. I'll happily admit that to just learn verbs - the single word, with nothing else along with it - along with its translation would be rather futile.

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6254 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 63 of 87
14 April 2009 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
Steve Kaufmann wrote:
Many people study isolated lists of words in preparation for tests like TOEFL etc. Most of them do not get a very good return from this investment of time. That is what I was referring to by "studying words out of context" You chose to interpret this differently. Noted.

All lists and flashcards at LingQ have captured the phrase where the words occurred, and provide access to all examples from familiar contexts where this words occurs.

I believe it is difficult to learn words without having met them, and more than once, in meaningful contexts. I always advise learners that reviewing words only helps them to become more observant of the language, but it will not usually enable them to "learn" these words. That is why, at LingQ, we highlight all previously saved words in yellow in subsequent texts, to remind us that we have already started to try to learn these words, and for quick access to the ,often, already forgotten meaning.

There are obviously others, like Iversen, who have a different approach. Noted.

Have you ever considered altering how LingQ works a bit, by showing the word in the context of the entire sentence, as opposed to the "phrase" - that is, just the few surrounding words? I checked out how LingQ has developed since I last gave it a try, and while I like how things have progressed, I personally would find seeing the word in the whole sentence more helpful than within just the few surrounding words. I suppose the whole sentence approach might become cumbersome if the sentence is quite long, though.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6483 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 64 of 87
14 April 2009 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
icing_death wrote:

Are your sure? I think Ivesen works with word lists, but he uses words from context (books).

This discussion contains 87 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version