68 messages over 9 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 9 Next >>
Dandy
Joined 6324 days ago

6 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 57 of 68
05 January 2008 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
Loquella offers all 55 units of the basic Spanish by FSI (All four levels). It also offers 8 units of dialects that are not on the original 55+8=63. FSI-Languages offers the full Programmatic Spanish course of 2 levels (45 units). The original Programmatic Spanish course was supposed to have more levels, but was never completed. Some retailers add levels 3 and 4 of Basic Spanish to the Programmatic Course. They were not made to go together originally.
1 person has voted this message useful

StrikerCW
United States
Joined 5968 days ago

29 posts - 29 votes

Message 58 of 68
05 January 2008 at 11:40am | IP Logged 
Ah, so obviously, for future reference the FSI website has nothing on levels 3 and 4.

StrikerCW
United States
Joined 5968 days ago

29 posts - 29 votes

Message 59 of 68
05 January 2008 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
Another question. I get slightly confused about the 'conversation stimulus' in terms of storyline. Granted I've only gone through 5 units in my short study of Spanish, but some really strange things seem to happen in the conversation stimulus that don't make any sense to the story in the beginning of each unit. Am I crazy? Does the stimulus have nothing concrete to add to the 'story'? Or is the story much much more intriguing than I originally suspected?

Pixel33
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5948 days ago

44 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: French*, English

Message 60 of 68
11 January 2008 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
Hi everybody. I went on Amazon.com, and I was wondering if the Baron's FSI proposed in the Spanish language profile : Barron's Mastering Spanish : Level 1 (Foreign Service Institute) (Audio Cassette), with 12 cassettes is the same as : Mastering Spanish, Level 1 (with Audio CDs) (Audio CD), with 12 CD's, that I found on Amazon's site.

Pixel33
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5948 days ago

44 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: French*, English

Message 61 of 68
22 January 2008 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
I would really appreciate if somebody could give me an answer on my previous post, because I'm about to buy this Spanish kit and I would really prefer them on CD's than on cassettes. But I don't know if it is the same.

Thanks !

daristani
United States
Joined 6926 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 62 of 68
22 January 2008 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
I'm fairly certain that they're the same; I have the set with CDs, and they seem to be exactly the same as the audio on the FSI site (and on the Loquella site), except that the Barron's set has some additional (and not overly useful) "cultural" information, presumably inserted so that Barrons can copyright them. But as far as I can tell, the actual language audio is the same, spoken by the same speakers.

rosbancastle
United States
Joined 5751 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: Tagalog

Message 63 of 68
31 July 2008 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
czech wrote:
No. Barron's does not have any of the material from Audioforum. Barron's carries the Basic Spanish course, which is comparable to Audioforum's first two levels, which are Programmatic Spanish. I too, have Barron's 1 and 2. If I finish these, and Advanced A and B from Audioforum, I'll be fluent. You're going to need the last two, how far are you along in level 1?

I hate to reitierate what was I already said. (maybe it's midnight and I'm lack of sleep) But i am also an intermediate Spanish speaker who would like to break out into fluency mode.

I borrowed Barrons' Mastering Spanish Level 2.

Now should I buy FSI Programmatic Spanish 2 with (bonus 3 and 4) and is that the same as Audioforum's Advanced A and B??

Replies are much appreciated.

liam.pike1
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3536 days ago

84 posts - 122 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto, French

Message 64 of 68
13 December 2014 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure whether I'll get any replies (since the last reply was over 6 years ago), but I have a friend who wants
to learn Spanish, and I am wondering as to which course I should recommend. I just assumed that the Basic
Course is that brilliant course that everyone knows. But I then checked out which course FX (the Admin and
creator of this site) used to learn Spanish. And he actually used the Programmatic Course. Yet, the links he
provides are actually to Barron's Mastering Spanish, which are based on the Basic Course. It seems to me as
though the Basic Course is the one to go for... does anyone have any more comments on this matter?
Also, is there any real difference between Barron's and Platiquemos?

This discussion contains 68 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version