Triglot
Germany
Joined 5541 days ago

300 posts - 317 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Spanish
Studies: French, Turkish, Mandarin, Bulgarian, Persian, Dutch

Message 1 of 8
19 April 2009 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
I was researching more resources for my Turkish studies, and I was wondering about the EuroTalk programs I saw
on amazon.com (I always use the American site because they have the best material). If anyone has bought or used
these programs before, would you please inform me on how they work. I do not feel comfortable just buying them
without insight.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5806 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 2 of 8
19 April 2009 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
If you mean the TalkNow! series, I'd say it's worth no more than €5, but they sell it for far more than €5....

Why? It's a "template course" -- they've taken a set list of words and phrases and found the nearest translation, which often doesn't work. For example, "yes" and "no" are on the list, and a fair few languages don't have a single word for one or both of these (eg Irish, Chinese, Kannada). They claim to teach you how to count, but they teach you 0-20, then a handful of random examples between 21 and 100.

I've never tried anything past TalkNow, because I now have no faith in that company.

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6698 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 3 of 8
19 April 2009 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
I've tried an EuroTalk program once (for Czech), I guess it was TalkNow! but I don't remember any more. There's just one thing I was truly happy about it - that I borrowed it instead of buying... The amount of words and phrases to learn was tiny, the exercises were boring and even not efficient.

sprachefin
Triglot
Germany
Joined 5541 days ago

300 posts - 317 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Spanish
Studies: French, Turkish, Mandarin, Bulgarian, Persian, Dutch

Message 4 of 8
20 April 2009 at 4:15am | IP Logged 
Well now I know not to buy. Thank you! They advertise themselves as good language programs, and I was really
doubtful because the programs are so... cheap looking. I mean, I can't judge a book by its cover, but I'm glad I did
in this case.

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7016 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 5 of 8
09 May 2010 at 9:40am | IP Logged 

Anyone can try out free lessons and review it themselves if it is or is not worth it.

Eurotalk

It is funny to me, as it is the same hostess, but dubbed in different languages. I personally would prefer to see the actual native speaker of the language IMO.

Put me in the same boat that thinks it is not worth it.
Nice vocab testing though.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5806 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 6 of 8
09 May 2010 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
Oooooooooooh. I'd forgotten about that bit. That really, really, really wound me up.

I was trying to learn Kannada, and there's some white English guy on the video, overdubbed in a language spoken by dark-skinned South Indians. Not only that, but the Kannada for "yes" is two syllables, so every time I got a question right I could lipreading the man saying "yes" and hear this completely different two-syllable word.

He also nodded as he said it... and Indians don't nod!!!

Aaargh. I hated that piece of rubbish.

Frieza
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 5148 days ago

102 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German

Message 7 of 8
11 May 2010 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
I've got a few of the Eurotalk cds and booklets for several languages, but only because they came out with a newspaper for free (I think the newspaper cost € 0.80 at the time).

So far I only used the first German cd to revise vocabulary.
It's acceptable as a vocabulary tool but can't really teach a language since it provides no grammar or structure explanations.

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6898 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 8 of 8
11 May 2010 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
I have the Papiamento version of this course on order from Amazon but that's due to the absence of anything else rather than any great belief in its utility.

Nevertheless I'll report back once it's arrived and I've taken a look.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version