Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Lesson in Indonesian

  Tags: Indonesian | Video
 Language Learning Forum : Lessons in Polyglottery Post Reply
10 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
laoshu505000
Senior Member
United States
Joined 4356 days ago

121 posts - 231 votes 
Speaks: English*

 
 Message 1 of 10
21 April 2009 at 2:06am | IP Logged 
I've made a video today for Indonesian. I will be making more soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OpPQAXRTwk

Moses McCormick
1 person has voted this message useful



laoshu505000
Senior Member
United States
Joined 4356 days ago

121 posts - 231 votes 
Speaks: English*

 
 Message 3 of 10
21 April 2009 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
Hey there,

Well, 8 hours is a long time. Unless you're not working or doing anything else, those times would be great for study. If you can find at least 3 hours, that would be fine. Ideally, 5 would be better. If you could do more, that would be great also. It just depends on how your schedule is.

I mainly try and get used to the structure of things because once I'm familiar with that, I'm able to start constructing sentences quickly. As I said before, I just do a lot of practicing by making up my own examples with some random vocabulary so that I could get used to structure.I don't really spend a lot of time on the dialogue,especially if the content won't be useful for me. I usually just take out what is useful then come back to that other stuff later.

As far as chat rooms, you could find a lot of people here:

www.sharedtalk.com

Many Indonesians join this site as well. It's very useful for a language exchange.

I hope that helps. If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Moses McCormick

zocurtis wrote:
laoshu505000 wrote:
I've made a video today for Indonesian. I will be making more soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OpPQAXRTwk

Moses McCormick


Thanks for the Indonesian! You asked if we would like to see more Bahasa Indonesia videos and that would be a definite yes. Specifically, I would like to know more about how to go about structuring the learning time.

You said 8 hours but I don't have that unless I burn the midnight oil. Nevertheless, I can make some hours to study.

How do you structure your learning time? What all do you do in that time. Do you do vocabulary drills? Do you go over the dialogues constantly? Do you listen to and repeat the audio that comes along with teach yourself? And also, which chat rooms do you use.

Thanks again man! You are truly an encouragement and inspiration to all and what you have accomplished has inspired me to at least try to do the same. Something like a Language Learning Mentor. Hopefully, it doesn't required anymore brain power in terms of genius than I have now.

1 person has voted this message useful



delta910
Diglot
Senior Member
United States
Joined 4415 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

 
 Message 4 of 10
21 April 2009 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
Hey Moses,

Thanks for a great vid! I really enjoyed it. I was wondering if,more of an idea, you could make small lessons of all of the languages you know. Like have each lesson be 10 lessons at around 10min a lesson. And in those videos maybe cover the script, how it is pronounced, then some basic vocabulary and grammar. I thought of the idea today. You know, give a brief over-view of a language for people thinking about wanting to take up one of the many languages you know. Show them what it is like and what to expect. Just a random thought.

Thank you!

Keep up with the videos!
1 person has voted this message useful



delta910
Diglot
Senior Member
United States
Joined 4415 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

 
 Message 6 of 10
22 April 2009 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
zocurtis wrote:
[QUOTE=delta910] I was wondering if,more of an idea, you could make small lessons of all of the languages you know. Like have each lesson be 10 lessons at around 10min a lesson. And in those videos maybe cover the script, how it is pronounced, then some basic vocabulary and grammar.


That's a whole lot of work... depends on whether he's up for it. But it sounds excellent and would help alot.

well..maybe not that extravagant but maybe something like that. But yeah it would be a lot of work.

1 person has voted this message useful



anugrah
Newbie
United States
Joined 4235 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Studies: French

 
 Message 7 of 10
22 April 2009 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
Apa kabar pak, saya orang Indonesia. (I'm actually an American.)

Not to critize, the grammar isn't that bad, until you get to prefixes, I'm still not so good at that. It is an easy simple language though.
Tapi pak, g is always pronounce as in good so it's not jimana. Also Indonesian's always love to abbreviate anything. And Indonesians don't use tak as often, we use nggak or enggak more.
Also no one really says, apakah unless you're talking to like the president or giving a sermon, in congress, you understand.


Also this is veryvery different from Indonesian. It is so different that it isn't mutually intelligible if you talk to the average person, unless they speak slow. Our slang is very different, and so are out accents. We also have ALOT of false friends. I try speaking Malay with a friend of mine (very weird for my tongue) and we often find ourselves speaking English all over again. Also Malay is much harder, so if you do speak Indonesian you speak Malay, but with a horrible accent and you aren't understandable. It's much more different than American English to British English. Think of the hardest English accent to understand times 2.

If people are thinking I'm critizing cause I think he sucks, I appreciate that he's learning my 2nd language he's actually a lot better than missionaries I know who have been to Indonesia for 30 years or so. Good job dude!

P.S. why are different spoken languages in Indonesia categorized as Malay, i.e. Betawi, Ambonese, Manadonese, and various others. In Indonesia they are different languages but in the U.S. and on Wiki, they are categorized as Malay creoles.
1 person has voted this message useful



laoshu505000
Senior Member
United States
Joined 4356 days ago

121 posts - 231 votes 
Speaks: English*

 
 Message 8 of 10
22 April 2009 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
Hey

No worries. Even if you were criticizing me, that's ok. Mainly because I've never and will never say that I'm perfect in any language. I have flaws, but I do try my best. I really do appreciate you viewing my video also. Take care my friend.

Moses McCormick


anugrah wrote:
Apa kabar pak, saya orang Indonesia. (I'm actually an American.)

Not to critize, the grammar isn't that bad, until you get to prefixes, I'm still not so good at that. It is an easy simple language though.
Tapi pak, g is always pronounce as in good so it's not jimana. Also Indonesian's always love to abbreviate anything. And Indonesians don't use tak as often, we use nggak or enggak more.
Also no one really says, apakah unless you're talking to like the president or giving a sermon, in congress, you understand.


Also this is veryvery different from Indonesian. It is so different that it isn't mutually intelligible if you talk to the average person, unless they speak slow. Our slang is very different, and so are out accents. We also have ALOT of false friends. I try speaking Malay with a friend of mine (very weird for my tongue) and we often find ourselves speaking English all over again. Also Malay is much harder, so if you do speak Indonesian you speak Malay, but with a horrible accent and you aren't understandable. It's much more different than American English to British English. Think of the hardest English accent to understand times 2.

If people are thinking I'm critizing cause I think he sucks, I appreciate that he's learning my 2nd language he's actually a lot better than missionaries I know who have been to Indonesia for 30 years or so. Good job dude!

P.S. why are different spoken languages in Indonesia categorized as Malay, i.e. Betawi, Ambonese, Manadonese, and various others. In Indonesia they are different languages but in the U.S. and on Wiki, they are categorized as Malay creoles.



2 persons have voted this message useful



This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>


Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version

You cannot post new topics in this forum - You cannot reply to topics in this forum - You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum - You cannot create polls in this forum - You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page was generated in 0.4844 seconds.


DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript
Copyright 2020 FX Micheloud - All rights reserved
No part of this website may be copied by any means without my written authorization.