Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 19
25 September 2009 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
Yes, you can force thinking in foreign languages. But many people may not be willing to do this. Of course it's more pleasant, if it comes naturally. A lack of real immersion situations may be a reason to force foreign language thinking.

Fasulye
1 person has voted this message useful

pfwillard
Pro Member
United States
Joined 5480 days ago

169 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 19
28 September 2009 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
J T wrote:
Hello everyone. My name is Nick and I am new to this forum.

I want to ask a question (especially to those people on this forum, who have a very high level of proficiency in multiple languages, which I am sure there are here):

What exactly does it mean "TO THINK IN A FOREIGN LANGUAGE"? Now, I have heard a lot of people talk about this concept and I will admit that I am a bit confused, in regards to the meaning of this concept. So, if someone can explain this to me (from your own experience), I would appreciate your help very much.

Also, I want to know: How exactly do you achieve this process (rather than the typical "re-translation" mindset, which I hear is not good at all)? And how long does it take to achieve this process?

Thanks. I look forward to reading your responses and replies.

If you have people to talk with in the target language, you can just rehearse conversations you have had with them and then modulate it around based on what you know. I think you can start as soon as you have some vocabulary and stock phrases to work with.

I find myself thinking in L2 all the time and sometimes I am at a loss to translate my thoughts back into English. I don't know if that relates to "re-translation mindset" at all.

J T
Australia
Joined 5468 days ago

12 posts - 16 votes

Message 19 of 19
29 July 2011 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
It's been a hell of a long time since I last posted in this forum. I recently came across this video on YouTube which pretty much explains what I was trying to convey in the opening post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntr-l8Rng7E

The person in this video mentions the concept of "Automaticity". Given your understanding of the automaticity process (especially after watching this video), how long (for those who are very proficient in a foreign language), in your foreign language, did it take for you to achieve automaticity (not just with singular words, like "hello" or "how are you?", but also with longer/complex sentences)? I know you may say that having a good vocabulary is important in achieving this process, but do you have to go a lot further than just having a good vocabulary level?

Edited by J T on 29 July 2011 at 9:31am

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version