Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6098 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 9 of 34
12 May 2009 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for the detailed review! I personally own the German edition of the 1971 course, which I bought from Amazon.fr. Last I checked it was still available there, brand new and factory-sealed.
1 person has voted this message useful

phouk
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5820 days ago

28 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 10 of 34
12 May 2009 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
Thanks to all the people who said thanks!

Betjeman wrote:
Here is another person who wants to say thanks for this interesting
comparison. I have an objection though. Do you really think it is beneficial for the
student to have new words and sentence structures introduced in the exercises as
opposed to the lessons themselves? I always thought it was an oversight on the part of
the course authors when this happens (and it happens in several other Assimil courses,
too). In my opinion, the exercises should serve as a means of self-control. How well
you do there should reflect your understanding of previous lessons, not your gift oft
foretelling the contents of future lessons. Thus, no new material should be added
here. Anything else seems like bad teaching to me.

I think new material is introduced much too often (while only in a limited amount) to
be a mere oversight.

First, how much benefit do fill-in-the-blanks and similar tests have to the learner?
You can each one once, maybe twice, to get feedback on your progress - after that, you
just know most of the answers. Plus, I don't actually need that much help and effort
in getting feedback - normally, I don't feel confused about whether I already
understand something or already know all the words in the lesson. Certainly, I don't
need such feedback in every lesson - maybe once at the end of the course or a couple
of times in between would be enough. Such tests are good for school and to give
feedback to a teacher, not for learning and for the self-directed learner.

What you have in the old-style Assimil courses is exercises, not tests. They allow you
to exercise the language some more, by giving you extra text that you can read, and
re-read, and listen to, and listen to again, and translate in both directions again
and again, until it's yours. Doing so would add less benefit if they were limited to
be a very strict subset of the vocabulary and sentence structures that the lessons
introduce. At the same time, they fulfill a different function than the lesson text,
because not being limited to a coherent story, they can for example focus on a
particular topic like a particular tense or case or way to ask a question.

All in all, I feel that somebody who had made not only 100 lesson texts, but in
addition also some 150 +/- exercise texts fully "his" in the way I describe above,
would be further along the learning curve than somebody who had done 100 lesson texts
plus 100 fill-in-the-blank tests.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Rout
Diglot
United States
Joined 5494 days ago

326 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Hindi

Message 11 of 34
13 May 2009 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
I couldn't agree more that translation exercises are the best. What you COULD do with these (older versions) is translate the exercise before listening to the audio since you've learned all vocab and sentence structure in the lesson. That would be a real challenge but I haven't tried it.

Juan, I think I tried to answer you in your other post.. I'm almost positive that you have the second edition. Does it have a song in it?

BTW, the professor said the 1971 version of Russian was his absolute favorite Assimil book made. Surely that says something.

I know the New Russian from the 80's must be different than all of these but I wonder how much so. Anyone had a look at it?
2 persons have voted this message useful

phouk
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5820 days ago

28 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 12 of 34
31 May 2009 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
In addition to what I wrote earlier, here's a look at the appendices of these books
("Russisch ohne Mühe (heute)"):

- 1951: grammatical appendix, 30 pages

- 1971: grammatical appendix, 18 pages (reduced content)

- 2004: grammatical appendix, 50 pages (with the same content as 1951, slightly
edited, in larger print; table of content for the grammatical index; added list of
structural words of the russian language (looks helpful); one-page grammatical index
pointing to the corresponding lessons; 20 page vocabulary index
3 persons have voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5620 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 13 of 34
01 June 2009 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
Phouk --- Thanks so much for starting this informative thread. I haven't started using the Assimil course yet (using a Swedish course right now) although I downloaded the English audios (2004). I will definitely make sure to complement that with the OLD books; or see if I can find the whole -51 set from an antiquariat or Abe books online.

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5620 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 

Message 14 of 34
01 June 2009 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
Hi josht, I pm:ed you... ! Thanks so much for offering

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5620 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 

Message 15 of 34
02 June 2009 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
Breogan - yeah, I found "Le russe sans peine" ;-) Hadn't realised it was that old...

But I haven't found the -51 version that josht was mentioning.

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5620 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 

Message 16 of 34
02 June 2009 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
Ok, so:

"Russian without effort" aka "Russisch ohne Mühe" aka "Le russe sans peine" is the -71 issue.

For the 2004 (approx) issue, they added the word "New" to the title to indicate that they had edited the book.... ??

And the other conclusion is that the older the book, the more content...

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version