441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 17 of 34
02 June 2009 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations for the analysis.

But there is a "But".
I'm afraid comparing langage learning courses is akin to comparing treatments or medications in medical research.

There may be theoretical differences between treatments, laboratory observed drug properties that strongly suggest one is superior or safer than another. Animal research may have proved A superior to B.

But often, studies on actual human patients do not confirm what can be predicted.

I don't think one can say such or such course is better because this or that.

First, there is room for lots of biases as we can see here from diverging opinions.

Some deem some type of exercise is better while others deem the opposite.
And we (I and I suppose others too) all know it was better "before". This is a human charactéristic that has been smilingly illustrated in "Rien de nouveau sous le soleil : Nihil novi sub sole, Edition bilingue français-latin" www.amazon.fr/Rien-nouveau-sous-soleil-fran%C3%A7ais-latin/d p/2266160788

The only way one could know at last would be to gather an as homogeneous as possible population of people wanting to learn a language, and proceed according to the following principles:
- those people should be comparable or stratifiable in terms of number of languages learned before, proficiency in those languages, and maybe other factors.
- They should be randomised in groups (and hopefully random would avoid important differences between groups.
- And then those groups should be ascribed to different courses.
- Course usage should be standardised.
- After a predefined time, learners should be formally assessed for conversional , writing , understanding abilities and whatever would be deemed reevant.
- Those assessing the learners should be blinded to which course learners used;

This or similar procedures, I think, is the only rational scientific way to compare language learning courses.

The rest is opinion, divination, at times incantation or religion, my method is better than yours, and at best the fruit of experience (I do admit to indulging in those too).

As Hippocrates said: "“Life is short, art long, opportunity fleeting, experience treacherous, judgment difficult”.

Edited by zorglub on 03 June 2009 at 11:27am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Breogan
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 5703 days ago

42 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, Galician*, French, English
Studies: German, Russian, Arabic (classical)

Message 18 of 34
03 June 2009 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
Ok, so:

"Russian without effort" aka "Russisch ohne Mühe" aka "Le russe sans peine" is the -71 issue.

For the 2004 (approx) issue, they added the word "New" to the title to indicate that they had edited the book.... ??

And the other conclusion is that the older the book, the more content...

There is indeed one more method before the 2004 version (by the way I don't know this recent one); so we have, from older to newer:

"Le russe sans peine" aka "Russian without toil" (50's-60's)
"Le russe sans peine" aka "Russian without toil" (70's)
"Le nouveau russe sans peine" aka "Russian with ease" (80's-90's)
"Le russe" aka "Russian"? (2000's)

1 person has voted this message useful

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6933 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 19 of 34
03 June 2009 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
zorglub wrote:
Congratulations for the analysis.

But there is a "But".
I'm afraid comparing langage learning courses is akin to comparing treatments or medications, in medical research.

I think you are right.

I have all three versions of Assimil Russian. I have never really liked the first version. Instead, I preferred to use other material from Russia. I didn't like the accents of the speakers and I didn't like the texts very much. They didn't seem natural.

I used the first version but found I lost interest after a few months and it was hard work to keep going (unlike the other Assimil language courses I have). The second version from the 70s was better and I enjoyed using it. The texts were better and kept my interest. I haven't done much yet with the latest version so I can't really comment on it but it looks promising.

I am glad I have all three and I found the analysis on the three versions very helpful and enlightening. It is a good way to look at the differences but maybe not a good way to judge the value of the courses.

Edited by fanatic on 03 June 2009 at 11:32am

zorglub
Pentaglot
France
Joined 6787 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 20 of 34
03 June 2009 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
One important difference I find useful in the latest assimil series, those without the "ohne mühe" or "without toil " or "sans peine" is that they have a short bidirectional dictionnary of , supposedly, all words used in the book. And for each word , in addiction to the translation, the pages where the word was used are indicated.

I find this feature very useful. Many times I had to browse painstakingly to find a forgotten word or idiom, and at times , not even found it. This is very simple with the dictionnary, and referring back to the context seems to allow for better memorisation.

kam
Canada
Joined 5430 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Studies: Russian

Message 21 of 34
13 June 2009 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
Breogan wrote:
josht wrote:
The whole 1951 course is online; PM me if you're interested.

The 1971 French course, "Le russe sans peine", is uploaded too.

shadad
Pentaglot
VenezuelaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6444 days ago

38 posts - 41 votes
3 sounds
Studies: Arabic (Levantine), Spanish*, English, French, Italian, Portuguese
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, German

Message 22 of 34
10 March 2010 at 11:19am | IP Logged 
OK, I got "le russe sans peine", the 1973's version...And I'm downloading the audio for the 1971's version, because it was the only one I found. Do they match? What's the difference between the 1971 and 1973 book versions? Can I use the 1971's audio for both? I'm confused here.

Breogan
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 5703 days ago

42 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, Galician*, French, English
Studies: German, Russian, Arabic (classical)

Message 23 of 34
10 March 2010 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
shadad wrote:
OK, I got "le russe sans peine", the 1973's version...And I'm downloading the audio for the 1971's version, because it was the only one I found. Do they match? What's the difference between the 1971 and 1973 book versions? Can I use the 1971's audio for both? I'm confused here.

There's just one version for these years (70's), the year (71, 73 or whatever) doesn't change anything. The book you have and the audio you're downloading will match.

shadad
Pentaglot
VenezuelaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6444 days ago

38 posts - 41 votes
3 sounds
Studies: Arabic (Levantine), Spanish*, English, French, Italian, Portuguese
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, German

Message 24 of 34
10 March 2010 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much, Breogan.