Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6182 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 3
06 May 2009 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
Hey, this might be interesting to some of you guys here so I thought that I'd post
about it.

Christopher Taylor has a varying ability in over 20 languages. But he is mentally
challenged and can't dress for himself or lead a normal life. He's a savant.

I've known of this language savant for a while but the only material on him was vague
and the videos on him were of very poor quality to listen to and watch.

I've been watching a documentary on YouTube about savants and they mentioned him
because he has turned their thoughts upside down. Language is usually negatively
effected by savant syndrome. The theory was that left brain damage in the womb could
be the main reason why savants see the world in the way they do. Their right brains
are stronger so to speak.

Anyway, here it is

Beautiful Minds A Little Matter of
Gender 3/5

He is quite possibly a one of a kind. My guess is what he has is not typical savant
syndrome.

It starts at 2:49. I suggest watching the whole thing because it's extremely
interesting.

Edited by zerothinking on 06 May 2009 at 11:52pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6513 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 3
07 May 2009 at 2:25am | IP Logged 
Another link to other videos apparently with the same man, Christopher. He can clearly also read newspapers upside down, but I didn't hear him speak or write freely. However the presenter said that he interacted with waiters in ethnic restaurants and things like that, and at the suggestion of a scientist he learned the Berber language under controlled circumstances. For instance it is said in video no. 2 that he was presented only with sentences with an explicit subject. However the Berber language has a rich morphology which makes it possible to omit the subject, and the linguist - who is eager to prove Chomsky's idea about linguistic universals - was in the seventh heaven when Cristopher by himself found out that the subject isn't necessary. The mischievous linguist even tried to teach him an artificial language that violated those universals, hoping that Cristopher would reach an impasse. And he did, whereas a number of 'normal' subjects were able to learn sentences with these 'illegal' features.

To me this seems like exploitation of a human guinea pig, and I find the conclusions of the professor somewhat shaky. I venture the guess that the learned man has a house altar dedicated to Chomsky at his office.

Edited by Iversen on 15 November 2011 at 3:16pm

Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5905 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Macedonian, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Czech, Catalan, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian
Studies: Sign Language, Toki Pona, Albanian, Polish, Bulgarian, TurkishA1, Esperanto, Romanian, Danish, Mandarin, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Greek, Latvian, Estonian

Message 3 of 3
23 June 2010 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
Christopher Taylor was brought to my attention on YouTube following my latest video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0jO5lFRny4). I have included a link to a video about him on that video now too. It is interesting to see how Christopher goes through the languages he’s learnt. I found it striking that some languages he was happy to read and speak in. Then other languages, like Swedish, he was not willing to speak but could translate into English.

In any case it is fascinating to see what the human brain is capable of doing in certain situations. Daniel Tammet claims that he can show people how to “break out” of the “concepts” that “filter” knowledge. These are the words he uses, and it appears to mean that he proposes a method to unlock minds to think like he does.   He says this in his video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIDMCC2SJek) about his book “Embracing The Wide Sky”.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version