Sweden
olle-kjellin.com
Joined 5014 days ago

40 posts - 190 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Japanese, English, German, Russian
Studies: Spanish, Polish, Greek

Message 9 of 21
26 August 2010 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
Sorry for late rply. Didn't know about this forum before.
The lady in question was about 40 y.o. when she came to Sweden. After 3-4 years and disappointed with her (poor) accomplishment, she eventually found out about the existence of prosody (rhythm and melody, intonation), on hearing a radio program that I participated in. She immediately realised that this was what she was lacking, so she wrote to me, but I had no time to help her (we were 450 km apart), but gave her some advice and suggested she could borrow my Swedish prosody cookery-book from the library. But she bought a copy and drilled herself for hours on end. - The recording is about one year later, when she gave a long talk to a conference of Swedish teachers, admonishing them to at least inform their learners about prosody, even if they don't master the subject themselves... :-)
Olle Kjellin
4 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5191 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 10 of 21
26 August 2010 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
I assume "prosody" includes pitch, right?
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6719 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 21
26 August 2010 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Prosody is the same as the "melody" of the language, so of course pitch is included (if you think of the two Swedish pitch accents, the tones in Mandarin, Cantonese et.c.).

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5191 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 12 of 21
26 August 2010 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Prosody is the same as the "melody" of the language, so of course pitch is included (if you think of the two Swedish pitch accents, the tones in Mandarin, Cantonese et.c.).

I'd be curious to know what methods were employed to teach this woman pitch. In Swedish -- as in Japanese, the language I'm learning now -- pitch is not indicated in the writing, so I was wondering whether the woman was specifically taught the pitch of (new?) words or if she was just asked to copy natives.

okjhum
Pentaglot
Groupie
Sweden
olle-kjellin.com
Joined 5014 days ago

40 posts - 190 votes 

Message 13 of 21
26 August 2010 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
She read the rules in the book and drilled herself. After having been made aware of the most pertinent details. The Swedish accent rules are actually quite simple, once you translate the linguistic parlance into vernacular language. See http://olle-kjellin.com/SpeechDoctor/pdf/ASLA02_Newterm.pdf for a semi-short recount in English, and http://olle-kjellin.com/SpeechDoctor/pdf/Ny_terminologi_long .pdf for an as yet unpublished longer version in Swedish. An even more comprehensive version is in press to be published in a peer-reviewed Skandinavistik-Zeitschrift.

And yes, pitch and pitch accents are included in "prosody". The terms are not unambiguous, however. English pitch accent usually means something with focal stress, whereas in, e.g., Swedish, Serbo/Croat/Bosnian and Japanese it's about morphological markers. Not to muddle up with *tones*, as in Chinese, Thai or Hausa.
3 persons have voted this message useful

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5796 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 14 of 21
28 August 2010 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
What's the name of the book that you suggested she borrow from the library, and is that any different than the "Ny_terminologi_long.pdf" that you linked to?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6249 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 15 of 21
28 August 2010 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
doviende wrote:
What's the name of the book that you suggested she borrow from the library, and is that any different than the "Ny_terminologi_long.pdf" that you linked to?

He said that the pdf is unpublished.

I suspect it's what his website refers to as 'my practical "cookery book" manual, Svensk prosodi i praktiken, (Swedish prosody in practice), Hallgren&Fallgren, Uppsala, 1st edition 1978, 9th edition 1995', though I would appreciate if he would be so kind as to confirm this, or to name the correct book if it is not.

Edited by Volte on 28 August 2010 at 1:45pm

okjhum
Pentaglot
Groupie
Sweden
olle-kjellin.com
Joined 5014 days ago

40 posts - 190 votes 

Message 16 of 21
28 August 2010 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
The forum rules says I should not spam, but I guess I have the right to reply.
Yes, that's the cookery book. I don't remember which edition she used, but they are not so different, mainly reprints with some small corrections. I haven't had the time, really, to update the book (which I typed all by myself on an old IBM with a ball back in spring 1978! It looks terribly old... But the message is clear and as valid as ever.)

But a couple of years ago I realized that the terminology was a bigger obstacle than I had previously thought, particularly for the teachers, but also for some learners. So I came up with some ideas with more transparent terminology. That's what you'll find in the pdf. The one you mentioned is unpublished, but in the publication list you will also find a couple of versions that are published for various target groups.

The gist of the rules, of course, are the same, our language doesn't change that fast! :-)

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version