Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 5470 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German

Message 1 of 2
07 May 2009 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
Professor,

I have a couple of friends, who have acquired a rather advanced level of Russian during their compulsory military service, using a learning material called "Larobok i Ryska med Militar profil" (Walter Jan Erik, Intervox 2000). Are you familiar with this course? It consists of 25 chapters, very thoroughly explaining the grammatical system of the language, using bilingual (Russian-Swedish) conversations and texts complete with corresponding audio material, vocabulary, and interpreter drilling exercises. There are many cultural anecdotes built into the texts as well, giving the learner an insight into the russian culture, from a military point of view.

The course can be obtained at the following address: http://www.intervox.se/index.html

Some words about the author: http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Erik_Walter

The publishers description
"Larobok i ryska med militar profil (LRM) ar kanske det mest kompletta utbildningspaketet i ryska som finns. Trots den ”militara profilen” är detta ett material som alla ryskstuderande kan ha anvandning av. Med hjalp av LRM lar man sig ryska fran ”scratch” upp till en grammatisk niva som motsvarar kraven pa 50-60-poangsnivan pa universitet."

It would certainly be very interesting to hear what you have to say about this material, regarding its pedagogic structure as well as its content (i.e. the selection of text and the quality of audio).

Yours sincerely,
Jacob Wallroth

Edited by Pudeln on 07 May 2009 at 11:24pm

1 person has voted this message useful

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7043 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 2 of 2
07 May 2009 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
Mr. Wallroth,

No, I am not familiar with this course, which is unfortunate because it does sound rather intriguing and thorough. I would indeed like to examine it, after which I would give you my opinion, and it sounds in principle like the kind of material I would like to have in my resource center. However, I followed the link you gave and while I found that it is indeed available, it is not free but costs the following prices:

Lärobok i ryska med militär profil (LRM) är kanske det mest kompletta utbildningspaketet i ryska som finns. Trots den ”militära profilen” är detta ett material som alla ryskstuderande kan ha användning av. Med hjälp av LRM lär man sig ryska från ”scratch” upp till en grammatisk nivå som motsvarar kraven på 50-60-poängsnivån på universitet. Nedan anges de komponenter som ingår och deras pris:

1.      Grundbok med styckeordlista och alfabetisk rysk-svensk ordlista (775:-)
2.      Alfabetisk svensk-rysk ordlista (200:-)
3.      12 st ljudkassetter alt. 10 CD-skivor med dialoger och texter intalade (950:-)
4.      Övningsbok (200:-)
5.      Facit till övningsbok (200:-)
6.      Övningar för inlärningsstudio (häfte + 11 ljudband) (300:- + 875:-)
7.      Tolkningsövningar (häfte) (300:-)
8.      Översättningar till svenska av Grundbokens dialoger och texter (200:-)

Without seeing it, all I can say is that I am not surprised that your friends were able to attain a rather high advanced level of Russian during their military service by means of such a course. I myself happen to know a number of older American men who learned Russian for their military service in the 1960's, and I know that they went from knowing 0 upon induction to knowing enough to be posted as radio listeners at the Berlin Wall 11 months later. So, there is no question that intensity can bring even this kind of generally difficult language within range. I do note, also, that the current diplomatic offerings seem to be going back to at least a measure of pattern drill practice with Russian, with the explanation that while the students can attain a very high ability to understand and express themselves generally, even the most advanced students cannot manage real grammatical accuracy without these drills. Do you happen to know if this Swedish course has those as well?

Best regards,

Alexander Arguelles

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version